Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    Incredible Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    675

    Default DC confusion for me

    I only started reading DC when new 52 started, having been a Marvel geek for many many years. I know of some of DCs history, but I am currently confused, are the new JLA and Justice League set on different world, which one is the 'Prime' Earth ? How come changes in costume for WW and Supes and Batman are not covered across all series?

    I was confused with the WW/Superman and Batman/Superman books which reality they were in.

    In recent Hitch JLA Aquaman talks of not believing in Gods esp Poseidon, but how does this fit with WW and her background, surely he is aware 'gods' exist

    In the whole DC history have WW and Aquaman had this conversation?

    Is it just totally separate universes to keep old fans happy but introduce new fans , which versions are the correct versions? Is this deliberate story telling or justbadveditorship, or do the stories take place at different times. Why make JLA if Justice League is already being published.

    Please help I wanna know what is happening so I can (maybe) appreciate it more. To me as relatively new reader I am just getting lost and losing will to carry on!

  2. #2
    Astonishing Member dan12456's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    2,517

    Default

    Justice League is technically the main earth, but even it seems to be foregoing continuity with Darkseid War (initially they said it was just behind, but the recent solicits seem like things that would have to have been addressed in other titles.) JLA is just its own thing outside continuity.

    It's deliberate storytelling, DC recently announced with DC You they care more about storytelling than continuity.

    In terms of why make JLA when Justice League already exists, well same reason there is usually 5 Avengers titles at any given time.

  3. #3
    BANNED
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    5,435

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Portsian View Post
    I only started reading DC when new 52 started, having been a Marvel geek for many many years. I know of some of DCs history, but I am currently confused, are the new JLA and Justice League set on different world, which one is the 'Prime' Earth ? How come changes in costume for WW and Supes and Batman are not covered across all series?

    I was confused with the WW/Superman and Batman/Superman books which reality they were in.

    In recent Hitch JLA Aquaman talks of not believing in Gods esp Poseidon, but how does this fit with WW and her background, surely he is aware 'gods' exist

    In the whole DC history have WW and Aquaman had this conversation?

    Is it just totally separate universes to keep old fans happy but introduce new fans , which versions are the correct versions? Is this deliberate story telling or justbadveditorship, or do the stories take place at different times. Why make JLA if Justice League is already being published.

    Please help I wanna know what is happening so I can (maybe) appreciate it more. To me as relatively new reader I am just getting lost and losing will to carry on!
    As to the first part, DC is not trying to be consistent at the moment, as keeping up with all of these changes is distracting for the writers and they want the writers to be able to just write the books without distractions.

    So all of the books you mention take place on the main DC Earth, it's just that the writers and artists aren't worrying about what is happening in the other books or each other.

    I haven't read JLA #2 but based on the description this just sounds like bad storytelling on the part of Hitch.

    So no, it's not different universes, it's just letting the writers write without trying to keep track of what each other is doing any more than they feel like it.

    As already mentioned, JLA and JL exist because people like the concept and want more books with it.

    So it's not that you are missing something, just sit back and relax and enjoy each book for what it is without trying to fit it all together (if possible).

  4. #4
    Ultimate Member Lee Stone's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    11,615

    Default

    Apparently, things had gotten too confusing to expect readers to understand, so DC rebooted in 2011 to make a universe easier for new readers to come in and enjoy.
    Gone are the days of multiple earths and things were slimmed down to one Superman, one Wonder Woman, one Flash, etc.
    All with new costumes designed by a former 90s X-Men artist to make them look more modern.

    Oh, wait...
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

  5. #5
    Sector 2814 poroto678's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Santiago, Chile
    Posts
    828

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GlennSimpson View Post
    So it's not that you are missing something, just sit back and relax and enjoy each book for what it is without trying to fit it all together (if possible).
    This.

    I love continuity, but it makes getting into comics a lot harder than it should be. Just enjoy Hitch's work. Or don't lol. I like more what Johns is doing, but that doesnt mean i cant enjoy Hitch's JLA.
    - We were the BEST, Richard. No matter what anyone thinks. - Damian Wayne.

    Green Lantern Spanish Fan Site HERE

  6. #6
    D*mned Prince of Gotham JasonTodd428's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    In the Shadows
    Posts
    6,206

    Default

    I learned a long time ago to only concern myself with the continuity within a book itself and to not worry to much about how that book fits into the rest of the universal continuity. It seems that a good deal of the time things don't match up exactly anyway so I don't worry about it. My best advice is treat each of those titles as happening at different times and as having their own internal continuity. Just enjoy them and try not to stress yourself over where or how they fit. You'll just be giving yourself a headache and besides it's not as if there weren't all kinds of continuity issues before now anyway.
    Supporting LION FORGE COMICS and other independent publishers.

    Check out Lion Forge's Catalyst Prime Universe. Its the best damned superhero verse in comics. Diverse characters and interesting stories set in a universe where anyone can be a hero. And company that prides itself on representation both in the comics themselves and in the people behind them.

    Oh my goodness gracious! I've been bamboozled!

    When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change. AVATAR AANG

  7. #7
    Fantastic Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    324

    Default

    JL and JLA aren't following the status quo changes of the solo books. It's not entirely known if they're taking place before or after those other stories, although I'd guess it must be before.

    Quote Originally Posted by Portsian View Post
    In recent Hitch JLA Aquaman talks of not believing in Gods esp Poseidon, but how does this fit with WW and her background, surely he is aware 'gods' exist
    In Hitch's JLA itself Aquaman has referenced "gods". He's aware of them, just doesn't think that they're actually gods.

  8. #8
    Astonishing Member RobinFan4880's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    4,879

    Default

    How much influence do those gods actually exert? If they were truly as powerful and as deserving of worship as the title "god" implies then whole swathes of the human population would be bowing down before Zeus, Hera and the other Olympians. Since Olympian worship is basically non-existent, we can assume that the "gods" are just more super powerful, extra-planar beings who once had a religion schtick.

  9. #9
    Extraordinary Member Güicho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    6,426

    Default

    LOL "DC confusion" =

    1960s DC Editorial: Let's re-boot with multiple earths and continuities so new and old fans can all get onboard anywhere and not be confused.

    1980s DC Editorial: Let's re-re-boot with one earth and tight continuity so new fans can all get onboard anywhere and not be confused.

    2010s DC Editorial: Let's re-re-re-boot with multiple earths and loose continuity so new fans can all get onboard anywhere and not be confused.
    Last edited by Güicho; 07-16-2015 at 05:51 AM.

  10. #10
    Incredible Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    675

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dan12456 View Post

    In terms of why make JLA when Justice League already exists, well same reason there is usually 5 Avengers titles at any given time.
    But at least those Avenger titles (mostly) have different members and even if not at least they are in the same continuity, which is quite different to the JLA or Justuce League scenario.

  11. #11
    Incredible Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    675

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Güicho View Post
    LOL "DC confusion" =

    1960s DC Editorial: Let's re-boot with multiple earths and continuities so new and old fans can all get onboard anywhere and not be confused.

    1980s DC Editorial: Let's re-re-boot with one earth and tight continuity so new fans can all get onboard anywhere and not be confused.

    2010s DC Editorial: Let's re-re-re-boot with multiple earths and loose continuity so new fans can all get onboard anywhere and not be confused.
    Lol that made me laugh. I know what you guys mean, and I can enjoy (or not) individual stories, but I like there to be some form of consistency / consequences. A series for me is not just a collection of episodic parts, and different series, wuth the different characterisations that come through for the same characters, just smacks to me of trying to cash in, but little editorial mandates / control (which isn't always a bad thing). It just makes me feel DC is not invested in them as products / a brand. Maybe that's why as a kid I was never able to stick with DC, and was more of a Marvel geek. The comics / stories impacted on each other at times. If the writers / artists at DC can simply write / draw whatever they want, it becomes about them and less about the characters. How can I invest in both JLAs when they have nothing to do with each other. I wonder if this impacts on the sales at all, although DC at least gave consistent long term writers. Am sure there are really good reasons, and I do like both series, I just find it a bit jarring to read and a bit bizarre!

  12. #12
    Mighty Member My Two Cents's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    United States of America
    Posts
    1,727

    Default

    I only have interest in a few D C characters and books now.
    I plan on buying a lot more Marvel.

    Was buying over 30+ D C since New 52 and a few Marvel here and there.
    but come October, I plan on reading 30+ Marvel and my D C reading will most likely be

    Wonder Woman
    Batman
    Superman
    Justice League
    Detective Comics
    Action Comics
    Batman Superman
    Superman Wonder Woman
    Gotham Academy
    Batgirl

  13. #13
    BANNED
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    5,435

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Portsian View Post
    Lol that made me laugh. I know what you guys mean, and I can enjoy (or not) individual stories, but I like there to be some form of consistency / consequences. A series for me is not just a collection of episodic parts, and different series, wuth the different characterisations that come through for the same characters, just smacks to me of trying to cash in, but little editorial mandates / control (which isn't always a bad thing). It just makes me feel DC is not invested in them as products / a brand. Maybe that's why as a kid I was never able to stick with DC, and was more of a Marvel geek. The comics / stories impacted on each other at times. If the writers / artists at DC can simply write / draw whatever they want, it becomes about them and less about the characters. How can I invest in both JLAs when they have nothing to do with each other. I wonder if this impacts on the sales at all, although DC at least gave consistent long term writers. Am sure there are really good reasons, and I do like both series, I just find it a bit jarring to read and a bit bizarre!
    I think that this sort of move reflects a change in thinking of how they grow their business.

    For purposes of discussion, let's say that the first JLA series (the first one, that was including in the Trinity War storyline from a couple of years ago) was "consistent" with JL and the current Hitch one is "inconsistent" with JL.

    Back when they were doing the first JLA series, they were counting on people who buy JL to buy JLA. Because if you liked JL, you'd probably like JLA.

    With the current JLA series, they are counting on people who DON'T necessarily buy JL to buy JLA. They are saying "we have Justice League books for every taste" (I exaggerate, but you get the point).

    So over all, this sounds like a strategy to get more people buying a few DC comics, instead of a few people buying lots of DC comics.

  14. #14
    Incredible Member Prisoner 6655321's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    776

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Portsian View Post
    In recent Hitch JLA Aquaman talks of not believing in Gods esp Poseidon, but how does this fit with WW and her background, surely he is aware 'gods' exist
    Surely, he is aware that gods exist. Yes. Without dissecting exactly what it means to be a "god" in DC ... it is essentially an individual / entity tied somehow to metaphysical concepts. He believes they are real but does not see merit in worshipping them nor does he acknowledge any innate superiority they may claim. Think about Bigfoot... Most people don't think there's any such creature (and I'm not implying that bigfoot is real here) while others believe pretty strongly in bigfoot (some even having claimed to have seen some sorta sasquatch variant) but even most people who believe in bigfoot aren't exactly likely to worship the beasts and will argue amongst themselves over the origins of these diverse wild ape men legends.
    Did you know that every atom in our bodies was once part of a star? Think about that… EVERYTHING changes. Caterpillars turn into butterflies and stars turn into @$$holes.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •