Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default In Your Face Jam - Jul 15, 2015

Brett White shoves some soap in the "Deadpool" trailer's mouth and explains why he wants to see better jokes in the Merc's movie.

Full article here.

Fantastic Member

Comic ratings ≠ film ratings.

You can get away with a lot more in a comic than a film just look at the amount of blood in any fight in a comic compared to a PG-13 film.

Incredible Member

I was kind of taken aback by the gay jokes too, i mean even if we put the homophobia of them aside, it's not the 90's and edgy, it's 2015 and utterly banal.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by kumagawa View Post
    Comic ratings ≠ film ratings.

You can get away with a lot more in a comic than a film just look at the amount of blood in any fight in a comic compared to a PG-13 film.
    I think I overall agree with a lot of Brett's points, but I felt this one is just weak.

Yeah, the writer does indeed come across as an old man.

I a world full of PC, sometimes you just need a Deadpool. Same reason why Cards Against Humanity is so popular.

Spectacular Member

Gay people still get attacked for being gay. Homophobic jokes normalizes derision towards gay people. I don't care much for any character that makes homophobic jokes.

Having said that, the jokes are just... sad. Deadpool is supposed to be edgy, off-the-wall and unpredictable. None of that exists in the examples Brett gave. There could have been some really interesting material from Deadpool's comedy. Material that no other genre movie really did before. But instead it's sub-preteen humor. He's a grown man with the maturity of an 11 year-old. That's not who Deadpool is.

My favorite version of Deadpool was in Uncanny X-Force. The jokes were very dark but poignant. Wade showed a lot of humanity in that series without becoming maudlin or a character asking for pity. He also annoyed the other characters but eventually earned their trust and really showed he was a hero without selling it or asking for the acknowledgment. He was my favorite character in that series and he wasn't even the lead.

Good luck with Deadpool Fox. At least you still have the regular x-franchise.

thisisthepart

The only person who suggested being called a Cock Gobbler is a homophobic word is yourself. YOU made it homophobic. Women and Men alike can be said Cock Gobblers. He didn't call him a faggot Cock Gobbler, did he? Deadpool is NOT a PG-13 Character either, I have no idea where this idea came from. This article bothered me quite a bit because it's clear you don't know the same Deadpool as the fans do.. The fans wanted this movie Rated R, and they are going to get what they wanted, how often does that happen?? Never!

All-New Member

This is truly a sad world we live in where people get offended by every little thing. If you're a sensitive person and everything offends you, please don't ruin Deadpool from the happy people that enjoy laughing and having a good time.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by thisisthepart View Post
    The only person who suggested being called a Cock Gobbler is a homophobic word is yourself. YOU made it homophobic. Women and Men alike can be said Cock Gobblers. He didn't call him a faggot Cock Gobbler, did he? Deadpool is NOT a PG-13 Character either, I have no idea where this idea came from. This article bothered me quite a bit because it's clear you don't know the same Deadpool as the fans do.. The fans wanted this movie Rated R, and they are going to get what they wanted, how often does that happen?? Never!

And yet the term is never used as a compliment. And it's thrown at women much less. The fact is, if you don't think that cg is one of the homophobes insults of choice, then you live a very sheltered existence.

I could take this article seriously if Mr. White hadn't cited the most misogynistic movie in Marvel history as a shining beacon of comedic hope. Collect your Marvel Studios PR check and go home, sir.

Oh God.....the PC folks are gonna try to neuter Deadpool! Thats going to damn far!!

"Avoiding homophobic jokes and those that rely on profanity "just because" will lead to a better, funnier "Deadpool" movie"

....to who?

Time for Dissection FlashingSabre's Avatar

I completely disagree with the movie being homophobic. I do agree that a lot of the jokes were unfunny and uncreative. Though some of the were quite funny. ( The brown pants line was pretty funny, and its thematicly related because of the line about the red suit.)
    Cyclops was right

Regardless of how offensive you find these jokes, they definitely are banal and unimaginative, appealing to the lowest common denominator for a cheap laugh.
    Looks like a pretty dumb movie so far TBH, but who knows, it may just be a bad trailer.

Quote Originally Posted by Tlano View Post
    Regardless of how offensive you find these jokes, they definitely are banal and unimaginative, appealing to the lowest common denominator for a cheap laugh.
    Looks like a pretty dumb movie so far TBH, but who knows, it may just be a bad trailer.
    cant all be wine tastings and book clubs dude

some of us enjoy crude dick jokes