Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by pucku33 View Post
    This is truly a sad world we live in where people get offended by every little thing. If you're a sensitive person and everything offends you, please don't ruin Deadpool from the happy people that enjoy laughing and having a good time.
    they already ruined it by making it a Waypool movie. I'm sure he'll be LOLSORANDUM.. I just can't wait for him to yell chimichanga.. what a funny random word.

Quote Originally Posted by ower View Post
    they already ruined it by making it a Waypool movie. I'm sure he'll be LOLSORANDUM.. I just can't wait for him to yell chimichanga.. what a funny random word.
    Joe Kelly thinks otherwise

He said Fox has talked to him about the movie Years ago and that since Ajax is the villain its probably inspired by his origin story

All-New Member

The good thing about Deadpool is that he is an EQUAL OPPORTUNITY offender, which means every single category of human should find something to be offended by. If you're gay, you'll get mad when he makes gay jokes. If you're religous, you'll get mad when he makes religious jokes. If you like Fox News, well, you're in real trouble...

All-New Member

As for the fan who said "Deadpool is an R-rated character," you would be 100% incorrect, since he wasn't one for over 15 years until Marvel decided to do a few "mature reader" comics with him (and yes, mature reader should be in quotes).

He CAN be an R-rated character, but Captain America could be if you wanted to throw some F-bombs and excessive violence into one of his movies. That doesn't mean he HAS to be an R-rated character.

The filmmakers decided they wanted to make an R-rated film, that's fine and I think for the Deadpool audience that has been generated over the last 5 years, that was a smart marketing move, but don't claim a character "is" something he wasn't on the day he was born.

Ensabanur

'There is no nuance or purpose to the usage of "****" in this trailer, which is a shame because it can be a deeply hilarious word.'
    '"****" doesn't make things funny...'

All-New Member

Ower: chimichanga was NOT a random word at all.

It was specifically chosen both because of how much fun it is to say and because I had a personal in-joke with the late Mark Gruenwald from years earlier and I wanted to get it into a Deadpool comic.

(Bob, Agent of Hydra, was also an in-joke between Mark and I that took years to see print as well!).

You can bet your ass those jokes will be redone.

They are terrible and homophobic.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by poneley View Post
    Having said that, the jokes are just... sad. Deadpool is supposed to be edgy, off-the-wall and unpredictable.
    Is Deadpool really supposed to be "edgy"? Granted, I'm not a Deadpool fan at all and have only read a handful of stories over the years, but in pretty much all of them he comes across as every bit as pointlessly juvenile as he does in the trailer. And none of those stories were Max stories, so I never understood the whole "Deadpool movie MUST be rated R!!!" mania.

I'm probably wrong in defending anything about this movie, but what the hell? I enjoyed the footage, so might as well throw in my unasked for and unprofessional opinion. So far, it looks more enjoyable than any of the last five X-related movies.

Several things to cover...

There are certain characters that, while their comic series aren't written and rated as M/R/A/whatever, they really should be and come off as a bit disingenuous at times because of being tamed down for a wider audience. This primarily includes characters that are brutal killers, but are popular and reside at the Big Two, so the bulk of their appearances are tempered down to be "PG-13", though any realistic, live action portrayal of them would actually feel unrealistic or just sort of cheap and made-for-prime-time-TV.

Characters that should usually, if not always, be "R-rated" include people like Punisher, Wolverine and Deadpool. Wolverine is a brutal, knives in his fists killer. Everytime I see him bloodlessly kill on-screen, it just feels wrong. In comic, it's easier to get away with. You can have blood splattered all across the page, but you can tame it by putting it in shadows or just not showing the gooey bits. I suppose you could in film, too, and it is done, but it feels like you're taking something and purposely making it more real, only to step back and make it less real and hide from the action. In one way, something like Walking Dead may be looked on as glorifying violence, but it shows the "real" effects of it nd that it is brutal and messy and horrifying. On the other hand, Wolverine can kill as many nameless dudes as he wants and it's totally cool, because there's no mess.

I feel Wolverine should be R for violence, with little language. Same with Punisher, though probably a little more foul mouthed. Though, both should be fairly quiet. Deadpool should be a hard R for both violence and, yes, language. He should be clever with some of his jokes, of course, but a character like Deadpool would be gladly giving out all kinds of f**ks (article used the word, but i'm self-censoring in case it's looked down upon in comments).

Maybe I'm not PC enough, but i found the Wade/Weasel exchange hilarious. the whole thing, not just the blanks-filled-in parts. I did find the Colossus insult kind of odd and misplaced. I'll take it a step further, just as a present to you: Ultimate Colossus is gay. BOOM. Didn't even think of that, did you? Takes it to a whole other level of homophobia. All in all, though, I hope there's not any more homophobia in the movie than is in the "trailer", but I don't mind a few gay jokes. Maybe because i'm admittedly not gay, but here's the thing: A large percentage of jokes are fashioned as insults for any number of things. I know we're trying to make the world more open-minded. I'm personally for that. And maybe Brett doesn't like insult humor - it seems like he does to an extent, using VEEP as a good example, but maybe not when aimed at him. But that's a large portion of jokes and they can be pretty funny.

Personally, maybe i'm a bit sheltered - i don't know, possibly because I don't hang out with a bunch of homophobes or whatever, but I haven't heard the gobbler term a lot. As a joke, now that i've heard it, I prefer the term gobbler over sucker. Sucker just derides gayness. Gobbler implies that he really, really, deeply enjoys it and just goes to town, crazy over it. That makes it funny to me. It's funny because it sounds more ridiculous and just being a casual sucker. if it was just sucker, I may be more on the side of "Well, that wasn't a very nice insult." I know it's been a fight and there's a long fight to go, but at this point in the fight, own it. If you gobble, be proud of it and don't allow it to be an insult. If you don't like to gobble (like my wife!), it's a funny exaggeration. I unintentionally got a haircut similar to Miley Cyrus's haircut last year and was teased for it. I embraced it, kept it and continue to call it my Miley Cyrus haircut. Pretty unrelated and not at all on the same level, i know, but f*@k those fools that tried to dis my haircut. Haters gonna hate, hate, hate. I'm just gonna shake it off (Shake it off).

DP, as I see him, is often an insult comic, whether he actually means what he's saying or not. He just talks. Constantly. About any sensical, non-sensical, fourth-wall-breaking, reality-based, insulting, random, complimentary stupid thing that pops into his hamburger head at that moment in time. He's got some good jokes and he's a quick thinker, sometimes even a clever thinker, but I wouldn't expect him to generally be a deep thinker. But, maybe I'm thinking of a different Deadpool. If the gay jokes are limited to what's in the trailer, I'm okay with it. I don't claim that he will, but i could see him following up the gobbler comment with a misdirect, like whispering "I'm into it, too. Gobblers contest at my place later. haha, just kidding! Or am I? 1313 Mockingbird Lane. Ask for Herman. I think you two have a lot in common! Be there or be square, like your hair." Add in a few jokes about Christians, Republicans, Liberals, guys that just really, really love wearing plaid shorts, guys with goatees, etc. Offend everyone and be funny about it. It seems in character, to me at least. But, I do admit that the homophobic humor featured in the footage seemed maybe a bit heavy-handed.

The poopy pants joke tied to his red costume joke. it wasn't a once and done thoughtless poop joke. It was silly, slightly clever, not mind-blowing or thought provoking, but not too directly on-the-nose potty humor. Seemed like something Deadpool would say, to me.

Delivery was covered a little bit when talking about Pratt's feigned surprise at his own joke, but I don't think it was considered enough. Delivery is almost half of what a joke is. Is it cynicism, sincerity, in-your-face, feigned surprise, rapid-fire, etc. My favorite line in the footage was his reaction to the name Negasonic Teenage Warhead. Not just the words, but how he said them. There wasn't really nuance or deep meaning. There was just genuine surprise and then realization of awesomeness and I found that hilarious, as well as the choice of $h!t over f*@k in that instance. I know Brett is credited as a comedian, but there are different types of comedy and maybe he just doesn't like this type (what, you mean the homophobic, profane-for-no-gain, in-your-face-without-much-grace type? Ohhhhh, SNAP!).

By the way, as much as Brett wanted to use VEEP (a show that I love, myself) as a shining example of how to be profane, there were several instances of intended homophobic meaning in those clips, as well.

Amazing Member

Brett got it right. I saw a smart phone copy of the trailer on the internet, and was taken aback. The dialogue sounds like it was written by a couple of drunk frat boys. Another "joke" that fell flat was the one comparing Wade's face to a avocado. And why all the profanity? I don't mind characters swearing in moments of stress -- that's natural. But non-stop obscenity is oppressive. I thought the R rating would be for violence, perhaps a decapitation. After all, Deadpool uses swords.

The trend in trailers nowadays is put all the best jokes in the trailer. If what we saw in the Deadpool trailer is the best they've got, Fox had better make a deal to share Deadpool with Marvel. Marvel has never gotten the tone of a character so terribly wrong.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by kalorama View Post
    Is Deadpool really supposed to be "edgy"? Granted, I'm not a Deadpool fan at all and have only read a handful of stories over the years, but in pretty much all of them he comes across as every bit as pointlessly juvenile as he does in the trailer. And none of those stories were Max stories, so I never understood the whole "Deadpool movie MUST be rated R!!!" mania.
    Because he fights people with swords and guns, and you can do more interesting things with that in a R rating?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by HellHere View Post
    And yet the term is never used as a compliment. And it's thrown at women much less. The fact is, if you don't think that cg is one of the homophobes insults of choice, then you live a very sheltered existence.
    If you so wish you can start throwing it at women as a compliment. And why aren't you, you sexist or something?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by simbob4000 View Post
    Because he fights people with swords and guns, and you can do more interesting things with that in a R rating?
    Yeah, I'm sure he'll be doing all kinds of "interesting" things with his swords and guns.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by kalorama View Post
    Yeah, I'm sure he'll be doing all kinds of "interesting" things with his swords and guns.
    Yeah, like killing people in more visually interesting ways. This isn't a bad thing.

Incredible Member

Yeah, that article did feel like it was written by a killjoy. I'm no Deadpool fan, so I haven't read too many comics with him, but the crappy quality trailer I saw matched the few Deadpool comics I read. Deadpool's jokes in those comics were childish, stupid and full of pop culture references, so I can't blame the movie for going the same route. And in any case, many people like childish stupid humor, why can't they have a superhero movie that caters to their sensibilities?
    As for the "gay jokes", I didn't really see these jokes as targeting at gay men. I've heard those same insults targeted at women. There's a whole bevy of insults centered around sex. I don't think you can stop people saying "cockgobbler", as you can stop them from saying "slut". And in any case, "cockblogger" is an insult, if you're offended by it, then the word achieved its purpose.
    Lastly, about the movie being rated R: while I agree that Deadpool is not a rated-R character, movie ratings and comic ratings have nothing to do with each other. A PG-13 has the label "parents strongly cautioned", whereas rated R has "under 17, requires accompanying adult". PG-13 doesn't automatically exclude children from watching the movie, it just cautions parents against it. Deadpool, as far as I know, is a mercenary who'll take any job if the price is right, that's not exactly something that's "appropriate" for children, especially in the context of a live action movie where the violence wouldn't have as "cartoony" a feel as with a hand drawn comic.