Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    BANNED

Default Preview: Wonder Woman #43

From Comicvine:

http://www.comicvine.com/articles/ex...3/1100-153222/

In short; looks worse than it reads... and thats somekind of a achievement.

Churchill has never been for me. No biggie. Seems like it's that way for others. Setting that aside...

- "But where do I begin? Unless..." That is just tough to take. It's just bad execution to have that be something that "dawns" on Diana. That's the worst part. The ideas aren't terrible. The execution is just a mess.

- Same goes for the Diana/Strife back and forth. If you are not the previous team, you should just leave their tricks in the bag until you are good enough to pull them off.

- That Diana's Mother's remains are still MIA while Diana is completely oblivious. Seriously?

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

Sweet mercy. "Where do I begin" exactly. Churchill highlights everything that's wrong with that costume which is...everything. That things is just plain ugly and has been since day one..
    The writing...sigh. I've just given up. 40 years of reading Wonder Woman with all the good, the bad and the ugly and this is what breaks me. Hopefully DC will find another team quickly and I can start reading the book again.

I don't mind this art. Lips could be a little less pouty at all times, but its not bad on the whole. And it reads passable. I don't know why Mrs. Finch's quality varies so drastically from month to month, but I guess this is going to be an okay month (for me at least).

And I'm intrigued with Diana's line about having a connection and feeling like she's known Donna all her life. Hopefully that leads somewhere substantial, and isn't just a reference to past continuity.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 08-13-2015 at 10:45 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    And I'm intrigued with Diana's line about having a connection and feeling like she's known Donna all her life. Hopefully that leads somewhere substantial, and isn't just a reference to past continuity.
    Well, let me just point out that apparently no one, not Diana or any of the other Amazons have questioned where Hippolyta's remains have gone and no one has yet bothered to ask where the supposed perfect Amazon that is Donna came from.
    I think we can all agree that Diana is not Batman, but this story just seems to be making everyone look stupid. Not helped that Strife actually is 100% correct about Diana's efforts into rehabilitating Donna (which Diana should know from experience in the outside world wont work).

I've been pretty disappointed with how Donna Troy has been utilized since her introduction. First, she was a pawn of Circe. Now, it looks like she's a pawn for Strife. I'd rather she not repeat that pattern. However, I do want to see her character redeemed, at least to some extent. I think the Amazons as a whole have lost a lot of credibility after slaughtering their brothers. As it stands, Diana is the only one who hasn't done something that completely undermines her honor. While that has made her as strong as she's always been, her supporting cast has room for improvement. And Donna Troy needs a LOT of improvement.
    Join me on the official website for X-men Supreme, home of Marvel Universe 1015. Want a fresh take on X-men? Click below to enter the official home of Marvel at it's most Supreme!

Or if you want, check out my YouTube channel, Jack's World.

hate cant reach you here Harpsikord's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    I don't mind this art. Lips could be a little less pouty at all times, but its not bad on the whole. And it reads passable. I don't know why Mrs. Finch's quality varies so drastically from month to month, but I guess this is going to be an okay month (for me at least).

Quote Originally Posted by Outside_85 View Post
    Well, let me just point out that apparently no one, not Diana or any of the other Amazons have questioned where Hippolyta's remains have gone and no one has yet bothered to ask where the supposed perfect Amazon that is Donna came from.
    I think we can all agree that Diana is not Batman, but this story just seems to be making everyone look stupid. Not helped that Strife actually is 100% correct about Diana's efforts into rehabilitating Donna (which Diana should know from experience in the outside world wont work).
    Titans Hunt tells us that Donna existed five years ago, so I'm guessing that the Donna that was "created "by Derinoe and Hecate was an Amazon that went "missing" due to the the time travel shenanigans said to be happening in that book and was then recreated. Diana HAS known Donna for her whole life; Donna was there for 21 years of it if I'm correct. Meredith Finch just isn't explaining that properly.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Unsurprisingly, my favorite thing is the bombshell cover. Maybe Cheetah is "on the prowl" for a new creative team?

Kind of cool to see Milan and Zola again, at least for a consistent supporting cast. Beyond that, the costume remains terrible and everyone is an idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    Churchill has never been for me. No biggie. Seems like it's that way for others. Setting that aside...

- "But where do I begin? Unless..." That is just tough to take. It's just bad execution to have that be something that "dawns" on Diana. That's the worst part. The ideas aren't terrible. The execution is just a mess.

- Same goes for the Diana/Strife back and forth. If you are not the previous team, you should just leave their tricks in the bag until you are good enough to pull them off.

- That Diana's Mother's remains are still MIA while Diana is completely oblivious. Seriously?
    I've been saying this since the fist issue of the Finch run ... some good ideas, but the execution is terrible. I'd add that the art is horrendous what's with the weird pinched faces? Churchill ain't my bag I suppose.

I actually do appreciate that Meredith is attempting to maintain characters from the previous run, but when did Zola start speaking like some kind of bumpkin? And I think Diana just lost about 100 IQ points in this preview. And what's with the ignoring Milan except when she needs him to do the one thing he hates more than anything else? Why not go to Siracca to listen for Donna first? That's at least less traumatic for her sister. Also, why wouldn't she feel connected to the woman who's body was created from her mothers clay corpse?

I'm doing my best to enjoy the story, but it's getting harder and harder every month.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by icantstandthisindecision View Post
    Titans Hunt tells us that Donna existed five years ago, so I'm guessing that the Donna that was "created "by Derinoe and Hecate was an Amazon that went "missing" due to the the time travel shenanigans said to be happening in that book and was then recreated. Diana HAS known Donna for her whole life; Donna was there for 21 years of it if I'm correct. Meredith Finch just isn't explaining that properly.
    no, it's not that. Donna was created like weeks ago, maybe a couple of months. The moment that diana says (I think i know her my whole life" is meant to be a shade that donna was created from diana's mother clay

Quote Originally Posted by Outside_85 View Post
    this mess is so big, idk how DC publish this crap storytelling every month. at least churchill art is better than Finch
    Last edited by Tayswift; 08-14-2015 at 11:29 AM.

BANNED

I'll be honest and say I dont think that whatever is going to be revealed in Titans Hunt has anything to do with what is going on here. Mostly because Finchs work is made months in advance and that DC is not briefing everyone on whats going on or coming up.

What I think Diana is referring to is that she feels the connection to the clay that made up her mother.

hate cant reach you here Harpsikord's Avatar

Yeah, that was probably the intent, but it's pretty clear that editorial had other ideas. Because, I mean...

That is very much Donna and that team came about five years ago.

Astonishing Member

It was nice to see Milan again, and I sort of liked the line about the loving "the good, the bad...and the strife," if I can forget that by "the bad" Diana means that Dinaa should love the mass murderer in her. And to me, Churchill's art, while sometimes ugly, has a kin of "mythic" quality I don't usually see in Finch's. Other than that, though...ick. I still wish DC would at least hire a co-writer to help with the scripting. Milan sounds as about as incoherent as he's supposed to--but everyone else is not supposed to sound that same way.

Its not a definite, but Titans Hunt is looking like its going to retcon Titans history. Which is the only reason why I'm thinking there may be something Diana's line here. I realize the payoffs thus far for all story threads have been a dud, but that's the reason I'm willing to let myself hope here just a little bit.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

BANNED

Yeah, that was probably the intent, but it's pretty clear that editorial had other ideas. Because, I mean...

That is very much Donna and that team came about five years ago.
    It doesn't necessarily mean anything, like I said; planned months apart by a company where the right hand often doesn't know where the left is.