Page 29 of 29 FirstFirst ... 192526272829
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Darius View Post
    She had 3 beads of sweat on her body and deflected his question by saying "let's hit the showers" that hardly qualifies as "buckets" and tired beyond emotionally.
    that seems like she was tired and wanted to stop fighting

Quote Originally Posted by Tayswift View Post
    that seems like she was tired and wanted to stop fighting
    Not at all. She didn't want to talk about her feelings and was deflecting. Especially since the panel before she was just saying she was kicking his butt.

Quote Originally Posted by brettc1 View Post
    Heh - maybe the Finch threads have deeper analysis because in this book there is not always a lot about Wonder Woman to analyse.
    Heh, touche.

Well, feel free to hit the other boards and check out the preview for #20. I imagine you'll find it interesting, heh.

It'll be REALLY interesting if Steve gets a fist in his face. He deserves it for this stunt. Or better yet, let Lana do it.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    It'll be REALLY interesting if Steve gets a fist in his face. He deserves it for this stunt. Or better yet, let Lana do it.
    Haven't read it but I sense Steve is being awesome
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    superman went after steve ex girlfriend while the dude was on a hospital, the one deserving the punch is superman

this book again jobbing trevor, he would never do this

Let's keep the preview discussion for 20 over in the preview thread, please
    Gaelforce
    WonderAdmin
    THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES - Ignorance of the rules is no excuse!

BANNED

Well then it's not a turn on for anybody. However to suggest that a man losing a fight makes him look weaker and therefore less attractive to a woman does indeed seem sexist, because I don't think people suggest that a woman who needs rescuing a lot is automatically less attractive.
    It seems sexist because it is sexist.

However, the sexism originates not from my argument but from biology itself. Is it equal that males are 40% stronger and immune to pregnancy while females are 40% weaker and susceptible to pregnancy? No. Is it true? Yes.

Why are men physically stronger than women? Because women desired strength within men and generation after generation of women continued to breed with that desire in mind, eventually this reached a point where there became a noticeable strength gap between the sexes. It was neither an accident nor magic.

Keep in mind, you brought up the shirtless idea as something that would appeal to the female audience. Why do you think the sight of a man's muscles would appeal to a female audience? Because muscles are a sign of strength just as defeating one's opponent is a sign of strength.

This quality is simply not as sexually attractive within women for men. Which is why if Wonder Woman had been drawn with Superman's level of muscle mass the idea that it was done to appeal to the male audience would come off as silly.

The question is not whether he wins or loses, but how hard he fights and for what. Nor is it a question of it being attractive to be beaten bloody, but rather to be seen as needing help and being, in a way, vulnerable.
    The difference between victory and defeat is immense when one's survival or the survival of others is at stake. This is ultimately why females desire the stronger males over the weaker ones. The result of the battle is a reflection of his ability to protect himself, her, and any future or current offspring they have.

Therefore vulnerability in males is not an ideal trait as the female desires a male who is strong enough to cover her when she is vulnerable whether through pregnancy or in times of need. Which in turn is why males are less willing to express vulnerability as it will reduce their chances of acquiring a mate.

Men intuitively understand this even if they can't articulate the various "whys" going on behind it. I'm not necessarily saying this is healthy behavior in men, but it's what women want and ultimately the reason why men won't stop said behavior unless women are willing to alter the incentive by putting out for qualities that reflect weakness... which isn't going to happen.

The same way men lusting after 40 year old fat chicks isn't going to happen no matter how much women may wish it would be the case. Both sexes have an interest in lowering the standards of what the other finds sexually attractive while at the same time keeping their own standards as high as ever. This cannot work, thus it does not happen.

You seem to be suggesting that men always have to be the stronger one, and women will not be attracted to a man unless he is their physical superior?
    Not "always", but more likely than not? Absolutely. The same way women are generally more attracted to men who are larger then they are as size also projects strength.

So if you're trying to target females within the audience via sexual attraction through a male character... having him get beaten up by the enemy in front of his woman and relying on her for salvation is not the way to go.

I could see his weakness attracting female fans in a "girl power" kind of way, but not in the "I wanna have his babies" sense that we're talking about.

Which is, I have to say, a rather odd position on the Wonder Woman forum... LOL
    Depends.

Supposedly that Lasso on her hip is about telling the truth, or at least being honest. If so, it's odd that my position would be considered odd in this forum.
    Last edited by Lax; 08-19-2015 at 08:24 AM.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lax View Post
    It seems sexist because it is sexist.

However, the sexism originates not from my argument but from biology itself. Is it equal that males are 40% stronger and immune to pregnancy while females are 40% weaker and susceptible to pregnancy? No. Is it true? Yes.

Why are men physically stronger than women? Because women desired strength within men and generation after generation of women continued to breed with that desire in mind, eventually this reached a point where there became a noticeable strength gap between the sexes. It was neither an accident nor magic.

Keep in mind, you brought up the shirtless idea as something that would appeal to the female audience. Why do you think the sight of a man's muscles would appeal to a female audience? Because muscles are a sign of strength just as defeating one's opponent is a sign of strength.

This quality is simply not as sexually attractive within women for men. Which is why if Wonder Woman had been drawn with Superman's level of muscle mass the idea that it was done to appeal to the male audience would come off as silly.

The difference between victory and defeat is immense when one's survival or the survival of others is at stake. This is ultimately why females desire the stronger males over the weaker ones. The result of the battle is a reflection of his ability to protect himself, her, and any future or current offspring they have.

Therefore vulnerability in males is not an ideal trait as the female desires a male who is strong enough to cover her when she is vulnerable whether through pregnancy or in times of need. Which in turn is why males are less willing to express vulnerability as it will reduce their chances of acquiring a mate.

Men intuitively understand this even if they can't articulate the various "whys" going on behind it. I'm not necessarily saying this is healthy behavior in men, but it's what women want and ultimately the reason why men won't stop said behavior unless women are willing to alter the incentive by putting out for qualities that reflect weakness... which isn't going to happen.

The same way men lusting after 40 year old fat chicks isn't going to happen no matter how much women may wish it would be the case. Both sexes have an interest in lowering the standards of what the other finds sexually attractive while at the same time keeping their own standards as high as ever. This cannot work, thus it does not happen.

Not "always", but more likely than not? Absolutely. The same way women are generally more attracted to men who are larger then they are as size also projects strength.

So if you're trying to target females within the audience via sexual attraction through a male character... having him get beaten up by the enemy in front of his woman and relying on her for salvation is not the way to go.

I could see his weakness attracting female fans in a "girl power" kind of way, but not in the "I wanna have his babies" sense that we're talking about.

Depends.

Supposedly that Lasso on her hip is about telling the truth, or at least being honest. If so, it's odd that my position would be considered odd in this forum.
    The thing is. WW is supposed (aleast partly) to be a rejection of that point of view.The 'girl power' way is pretty much the order of the day in regards to this particular character.
    Hell one the reasons why some people were against this relationship in the first place was because of a belief that WW shouldn't be with anyone that is equal to/greater than her physical strength level.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Baseman View Post
    The thing is. WW is supposed (aleast partly) to be a rejection of that point of view.The 'girl power' way is pretty much the order of the day in regards to this particular character.
    Hell one the reasons why some people were against this relationship in the first place was because of a belief that WW shouldn't be with anyone that is equal to/greater than her physical strength level.
    very well put, wonder woman is suppossed to be a gender flip on the hero guy stronger than his civilian girlfriend. then smww is just another heteronormavity pattern that wonder woman should be far away. too bad captain america is on marvel, both would make a good couple (both steves are blond)