Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by daBronzeBomma View Post
    I don't think he is.

He was one in BIRTHRIGHT (2003-2009), but that origin was retconned with SECRET ORIGIN (2009-11) and then retconned again with NEW 52 (2011-2016), and retconned yet again with REBIRTH (2016-2018).

I mean, I haven't seen any scenes of Clark eating, welI ... anything really, in recent years. Do we have conclusive evidence post-REBIRTH that Clark currently is an omnivore?
    I don't think he eats much unless it's a special occasion to be honest.

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by Husk View Post
    Then how do you differentiate it from regular hockey?
    Hockey is hockey in Canada, what you play on ice. That's regular hockey. There's pond hockey, what you play on a frozen pond, river or lake; street hockey or road hockey, what you play on a street or road; floor hockey, what you play indoors on a floor; and grass hockey or field hockey, what you play outside on grass or on a hard suface. There's leagues and organizations for all of these in Canada. There's also shinny or pick-up hockey, which is a simplified version of hockey played on ice or other surfaces, inside or outside, for anyone who wants to play a simple game without a lot of rules.

Quote Originally Posted by Lightning Rider View Post
    Super bump becaaaaausee.....Mera stated that The Godfather was Arthur's favorite movie.

It fits I suppose.
    He just tells her that, but it's secretly "Free Willy"...

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    Ollie and Hal are also big fans of boxing, which was one of the few things they had in common aside from cooking chilli (Ollie prefers spicy, whereas Hal favors a more savory taste).
    The Secret Origin of Boxing Glove Arrow .

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post
    I don't know if Hal and Barry are *still* jazz fans today; it hasn't been mentioned for a good many years. If they were jazz fans during the 1970s, they're probably classic rock fans by now.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    I don't apply the sliding timeline to musical taste.

If James Bond says he dislikes The Beatles in Goldfinger, I say he still doesn't like them now unless they decide to have him specifically contradict that previously expressed opinion. Even though Paul McCartney wrote his best damn theme song!

Same goes for superheroes, although Hal & John's affection for jazz was brought up again more recently than the Julie Shwartz era. During the Mosaic series, John mentioned his and Hal's continuing debates over the merits of various jazz musicians.

Retired

Julie Schwartz was a fan of bebop (not a style of jazz that appeals to me much), so I'd say Hal is also a fan of bebop. John, I'd guess, is a fan of the modal jazz style, such as Miles Davis and John Coltrane.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by t hedge coke View Post
    I love when this stuff piles up enough, over the years and successive talent, and you end up with a much more developed life than could have easily been plotted out by one person in one run. I did an article on it, years ago, using a Marvel character, because it's easier with unbroken continuity. But, Clark Kent who'll play videogames with you but not kill guys with his chopper, who turns his screechy rock up louder when Jimmy Olsen is over, who loves beef bourguignon but may also now be a vegetarian (the greatest sacrifice of the last son of Krypton!), puts up with pranks from a jerkass colleague but mouths off to cops who aren't caring enough, the guy whose hair grew out, so he just let it, but cut it for his wedding... this is a guy. This is a person.

Of course, it's like four people, actually, and some of them transmogrified into others as reality changed, but still, it's a Clark Kent you could get to know. You could tell if that guy was replaced by a pod person.
    Neat thoughts. (I know, this post is years old, but the thread just got bumped, so it's new to me!) I remember reading a game writer discussing how he saw some lady at Home Depot in line with a power drill, wearing a fancy dress and a feather boa, and he thought to himself, 'If I wrote this, nobody would believe it, they'd say it was unrealistic.' Real people aren't 'realistic.' We are rarely even 'consistently characterized,' particularly over a period of years or decades.

It's been said that truth is stranger than fiction, because fiction is supposed to make sense. The real world doesn't have to convince anyone that it's believable. I like that, over the years, characters like Superman have inadvertently begun to feel more like real people because of the (often times inconsistent) changes to their characterization.

But beef borg with ketchup? Oh my. Doomsday was right...

Retired

Clark Kent prefers sex with Lois Lane. That's what beef bourguinon means. I doubt that they ever actually get around to having beef bourguinon for real--but they might have the ketchup.

Hal Jordan and John Stewart are also jazz fans, although they frequently enjoy arguing with each other about it.

Given Julie Shwartz's love of jazz, it kind of makes sense that so many characters created under his editorial guidance like Barry Allen are into jazz.

Denny O'Neil also said Hal was a fan of dixieland and bluegrass. As previously mentioned, he's also a Pink Floyd fan. He's got pretty eclectic taste in music.

Ollie and Hal are also big fans of boxing, which was one of the few things they had in common aside from cooking chilli (Ollie prefers spicy, whereas Hal favors a more savory taste).

Hal is a big fan of both Coast City’s national baseball and football teams. Guy, having been a linebacker in college, is obviously a huge NFL fan.
    wasn't there an issue of justice league that hal and roy were talking about boxing as well.

i remember a silver age comic mentioning that hal throws a mean hook.

Quote Originally Posted by blubeetle3 View Post
    Blue Beetle (Ted Kord) is a "Trekkie". He's also fond the Three Stooges, Abbott and Costello, and Laurel and Hardy. We also know that he's read some Russian literature, specifically Fyodor Dostoyevsky's "The Brothers Karamozov".
    was that mentioned in a jli issue?

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by liwanag View Post
    wasn't there an issue of justice league that hal and roy were talking about boxing as well.

i remember a silver age comic mentioning that hal throws a mean hook.
    Yes, Brian Meltzer's JLA had Hal & Roy going to the fights, and Hal's right hook was so distinctive that Tom Kalmaku was able to figure out who he was back in the John Broome days.

Quote Originally Posted by daBronzeBomma View Post
    I don't think he is.

He was one in BIRTHRIGHT (2003-2009), but that origin was retconned with SECRET ORIGIN (2009-11) and then retconned again with NEW 52 (2011-2016), and retconned yet again with REBIRTH (2016-2018).

I mean, I haven't seen any scenes of Clark eating, welI ... anything really, in recent years. Do we have conclusive evidence post-REBIRTH that Clark currently is an omnivore?
    Pre-Rebirth, he had a hotdog.

Post (I'll have to check when I get home, but) we've seen him having meals with Lois and Jon and there was meat/poultry being served.

Extraordinary Member

Yes, Brian Meltzer's JLA had Hal & Roy going to the fights, and Hal's right hook was so distinctive that Tom Kalmaku was able to figure out who he was back in the John Broome days.
    I believe that was how Hal's commanding officer figured he was GL.

Which makes me appreciate that I don't engage in a violent lifestyle.

The thought that I could recognize someone by how they hit me.....

I remember a segment from BTAS where Bruce used the bat-computer to identify as crook whose jaw he was certain he punched in the past.
    Last edited by Anthony Shaw; 10-17-2018 at 01:57 PM.

For some reason I have a hard time believing that pro boxing would still be a thing in the DC Universe. I mean, in a world where you can't throw a rock without hitting someone with superhuman strength and/or fighting skills, what's the point of engaging in two average Joes duking it out?
    As of now:
    All-Star Batman, Batman, Doom Patrol, The Flash, The Fix, The Flintstones, Green Valley, Hadrian's Wall, The Hellblazer, Moonshine, New Super-Man, Suicide Squad, Superman, 'Tec, Unfollow

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewFiftyForum View Post
    For some reason I have a hard time believing that pro boxing would still be a thing in the DC Universe. I mean, in a world where you can't throw a rock without hitting someone with superhuman strength and/or fighting skills, what's the point of engaging in two average Joes duking it out?
    Funny, the heavyweight champ in the New Gods ómnibus made Superman real sad when he told Clark not to compare them. The champ had earned his status and wasn’t just gifted the ability.

In any case, why watch any sport then?