View Poll Results: What is holding Storm back ?

Voters
52. You may not vote on this poll
  • She is already affected by whatever the Terrigen Mist does to mutants

7 13.46%
  • Storm set herself on fire using her own powers once. I mean...

10 19.23%
  • Plot hole / ill-thought-out premise

37 71.15%
  • Other (elaborate in the comments)

8 15.38%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by malachi_munroex View Post
    I don't even wanna question why any elemental with enough control over air like Megan n (who would probably just ask the molecules that make up the mist to leave....) just doesn't solve the problem. Unless the mist weakens elemental powers?
    Meggan is nowhere near powerful enough to solve this problem. Her biggest feat of elemental power, while on Earth, is to dispell a forest fire. This is a global event meaning it's well beyond Meggan's feats on Earth. It would take Storm to solve this situation.

Quote Originally Posted by shootthej View Post
    Forced MCU advertizing inclusion trumps whether powers
    Pretty much this. This is simply (and obviously) an event to promote the Inhumans, and the easiest way to build an interaction with the X-Men/ a much more popular brand.
    Be the change you wish to see in the world.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by ZNOP View Post
    Set herself on fire physically? No, not exactly...

This was total PIS. Lobdell tried to redefine Storm's powers in this story and it was an epic fail. This is the only time, by the way, Storm has ever been affected by cold when her bond with whatever dimension/space she's in is fully in tact. Lobdell's claim that Storm's body gets warmer as her environment gets colder is nonsense. In this instance, he claims that the cold was so deep that her body went in the other direction to counter-act it thus frying herself. There are a ton of problems with what Lobdell wrote:

1) If this is the case, then Storm would NEVER be able to channel lightning through her body or self-generate a bolt within her as a single bolt of lightning is 5 times as hot as the surface of the sun. In other words, the heat extreme of lightning is much worse than any terrestrial blizzard. Therefore, by Lobdell's logic, Storm should freeze to death anytime she fires a bolt of lightning from her body. The number of times I have seen Storm channel lightning from external sources or self-generate lightning with her own mutant metabolism inside of her own body is too numerous to even count. So, if a single bolt of lightning is that hot, imagine what the temperatures would be if all the electrical power of an entire storm were crammed into the space of a body the size of Ororo's? Guess what? Storm has done this and had no problems whatsoever with the temperatures. So, yeah, this is an epic fail, Lobdell. Insert quarter and try again.

2) Claremont wrote Storm flat out immune to cold. In Uncanny 121, Storm flew to the top of the atmosphere where "the air was so cold and thin, a normal human would perish in seconds." She remained there for hours and channeled a continent-sized blizzard through her body. She had no problems at all with the temperatures she was channeling nor the external temperatures of being that high up in the atmosphere. Storm stated flat out in Uncanny 120 that she had no need to wear winter clothing since her body feels neither warm nor cold.

Furthermore, it was established circa Uncanny 97 that Storm is immune to clmate and temperature varations. I am referencing the story here where she goes swimming nude in the mansion's pool and catches Kurt and everyone else off-guard. This was touched upon again in Uncanny 168 (here, she was chilled by a cold wind because her bond with the Earth was fractured meaning this immunity to cold is dependent on her bond with the life force of whatever world/dimension/space she's in being fully in-tact).

Not only this, but she has also been shown on several occassions to be immune to the extreme cold temperatures that Iceman can produce. We saw this during "Inferno" where he froze the Empire State Building. All of the other X-Men had to move away from him because of the cold he was generating while she was immune to it and was able to hold him up in her arms while he generated the cold. Furthermore, there was a more recent story where he was taken over by some bad guys and he attacked Storm. He froze her in a block of ice and it had no affect on her whatsoever. In issue 1 of her miniseries, "X-Men: Worlds Apart", it stated in there that when Storm's ability to control the weather manifested, she no longer felt the effects of the weather. In this instance, it was referring to her imperviousness to cold.

This Lobdell story is totally and completely PIS and an epic fail of the highest order!

***takes deep breaths...I just HAD to respond to this scan...***
    Last edited by rutog98; 07-17-2015 at 02:54 AM.

Mighty Member

Storm is not the only hero that should be able to impact the mists. Iceman could do something, Amelia Voght might be able to teleport mist or have some control since that is her natural state. Sersi of the Avengers,etc. Many possiblities than just storm being the only person that can try to fix the issue. Also wouldn't telekinetic folks especially those who can do micro tk i.e. Rachael while pooling the power of Besty and Monet be able to make a difference. If anyone should fix it, it should be Crystal herself who is an elemental and inhuman.

Embrace the fluff FluffyCyclopsRLZ's Avatar

Obviously, Storm is exacting vengeance on the mutant community for cock-blocking her or whatever during the latest volume of Adjectiveless.

Quote Originally Posted by rutog98 View Post
    The only reason she's getting burned by the lightning there is because her bond with the life force of the Earth was fractured at the time due to an extended stay for months out in space lightyears away from the planet. It took a while for her bond with the Earth to reconstitute. Her bond with the life force around her is what makes her immune to climate temperatures and conditions. It also makes her impervious to where she cannot be directly harmed by weather manifestations (when written at her best without PIS). Fortunately, whenever she enters a new planet/space/dimension, the time it takes her to bond with the life force and energies of that new space takes far less time than it used to.
    I think her losing control of her powers in Japan had more to do with Mastermind (here disguised a that old dude) messing with her head.

Quote Originally Posted by rutog98 View Post
    This was total PIS. Lobdell tried to redefine Storm's powers in this story and it was an epic fail. [...]
    Yes, I remember that issue and Storm burning because of the cold was, using Lobdell's words, one of the most foolish things I'd heard. Not only many superheroes are immune or resistant to extreme temperatures but his explanation didn't even make more sense than Storm just being "immune to weather".

BANNED

Could Thor do something.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Lutecius View Post
    I think her losing control of her powers in Japan had more to do with Mastermind (here disguised a that old dude) messing with her head.
    Storm's powers were off-kilter ever since she came back from an extended stay in space that lasted months. Throughout the Japan story arc, her powers were acting up. Even as early as Uncanny 168 we saw the results of her fractured bond with the Earth as it affected her immunity to climate and temperature variations as well as her ability to not be directly harmed by weather manifestations. Not only that, it also affected her fine-tune control over the elements as well as her ability to perceive the life force within all living things including living creatures and plants life. Remember, when Storm enters a new planet/dimension/space/etc, she has to get attuned to the life force of that environment and the energy patterns that governs its natural laws. When she came back to Earth, she had to "readjust" to the life force of the planet and its natural energy patterns. It took her quite some time to get it back. Fortunately, she can adjust to environments much faster nowadays, lol!

I think the trap Mastermind set had to do with forcing Storm in a compromising position to where she had to do what she did lest she kill Silver Samurai. He had been spying on the X-Men and keeping taps on them, so he likely knew about Storm's powers acting up.

Quote Originally Posted by DDD View Post
    Could Thor do something.
    Male Thor could fix it, not sure Thorette has enough control over the uru hammer to get the job done.

Quote Originally Posted by Paleo_Rage View Post
    Storm is not the only hero that should be able to impact the mists. Iceman could do something, Amelia Voght might be able to teleport mist or have some control since that is her natural state. Sersi of the Avengers,etc. Many possiblities than just storm being the only person that can try to fix the issue. Also wouldn't telekinetic folks especially those who can do micro tk i.e. Rachael while pooling the power of Besty and Monet be able to make a difference. If anyone should fix it, it should be Crystal herself who is an elemental and inhuman.
    I was going to say something similar. Iceman probably could use extreme cold to crystalize the mist, have telekintetics capture it and return it right back to Medusa.

Fantastic Member

Somehow I have a feeling the nature of the inhuman/terrigen problem facing the X-men is a bit more complicated than 'there's a stormfront rolling in, RUN FOR YOUR LIVES!' Especially since a number of the X-men were already around terrigen mists back when this all started. Not that I'm thrilled about this direction, just that I give them more credit than that.

All-New Member

Pretty sure Storm has said in her own series while explaining why she doesn't just cure droughts that useing her powers too much and over large areas will cause I'll effects on the gloable climate. She could solve a drought in one place and cause a much larger drought somewhere else by doing so. Because she doesn't create weather but manipulates it.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Penacity View Post
    I was going to say something similar. Iceman probably could use extreme cold to crystalize the mist, have telekintetics capture it and return it right back to Medusa.
    Medusa could dissipate it with her hair if we had cool writers who weren't ashamed of writing super heroes.

Marvel Entertainment.

Rabid Storm Fans with cult like disclusivaties are holding her back.

Quote Originally Posted by KaleRylan View Post
    Somehow I have a feeling the nature of the inhuman/terrigen problem facing the X-men is a bit more complicated than 'there's a stormfront rolling in, RUN FOR YOUR LIVES!' Especially since a number of the X-men were already around terrigen mists back when this all started. Not that I'm thrilled about this direction, just that I give them more credit than that.
    yeah, what if its like the Walking Dead virus were everyone has already been affected by the mist but not everyone is feeling the affects of it yet... everyone is a ticking time bomb, you may feel okay one day but tomorrow your powers go out of whack, or you start to cocoon or just drop dead or fall into a coma(whatever complication it is the writers decide for each character.) Maybe thats why we're seeing so many mutants still walking around seemingly okay...