Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by simbob4000 View Post
    There's really no point to a Black Widow movie. There should have been a SHIELD movie with her, Hawkeye, and Fury. But Marvel basically did a SHIELD movie with The Winter Soldier, and then they destroyed SHIELD in The Winter Soldier.
    True. And, Black Widow was really the co-star of Winter Soldier..it felt like a buddy cop movie with Cap and Natasha, to be honest.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    And this is more ridiculous than having a Black Widow movie why?

Also, outside of the Avengers and Guardians of the Galaxy, all Marvel movies are about one hero. Hell, even in Guardians, Peter Quill got more focus.
    Because in a shared universe with multiple heroes why focus on just one hero? It was incredibly stupid how in Iron Man 3 there were terrorist attacks in the US and the president was kidnapped yet SHIELD nor the Avengers were anywhere to be found. The movie should have just been called "Extremis" and if not having the Avengers then at least Iron Man, War Machine, Hawkeye, and maybe The Hulk in addition to some SHIELD agents. Winter Solider could have dropped the Captain America part in the title. In comics solo books work because everyone gets their own book every month. In these movies we are seeing the events more in real time so having solo movies happen when other heroes are established and have worked together seems pointless. Weren't you wondering where Iron Man, The Hulk, and Hawkeye were during the Winter Solider? I give Thor a pass, but for such a big event you would think the others would come back.

For something like Captain Marvel a solo movie makes sense for her origin, but after that I say just put her in future Guardian movies or other cosmic movies. Same with Nova once he is introduced.

Quote Originally Posted by JimRaynor55 View Post
    Comic book fans have whined long and hard about far smaller details in the portrayal of their favorite male characters.

Heath Ledger's Joker was supposed to be total crap because he had white make up instead of white skin. Tobey Maguire's Spider-Man didn't quip enough. Hugh Jackman was too tall for Wolverine (good luck finding many handsome experienced actors at a restriction of 5'3). Ryan Reynolds's Green Lantern sucked. Ben Affleck sucks for Batman because, uh, uh, he made Gigli more than a decade ago?

Please don't act like Widow fans whine far more than every other character's fans.

EDIT: BTW, the Hulk didn't break her out. Bruce Banner in human form somehow walked right up to her unguarded jail cell completely unopposed. That is what fans were complaining about. It was a stupid scene that made everyone look bad, not just the Widow.
    I love how people try to defend their current hate when you bring up how past actors who are loved were originally hated. "Well Heath Ledger is actually a totally different situation then Ben Affleck" lol. Her door may have been unguarded but wasn't it locked? Regardless of if it was stupid it was nothing to try and kill Joss Wheadon over lol.
    I love the New 52. I love the dark and grittiness of it and find that is what makes the most enjoyable superhero stories. At the same time I find All Star Superman to be the most depressing Superman story I have ever read. Yeah I'm weird.

The reason Marvel seem to struggle with female characters is the same reason they struggle to produce memorable villains: a widespread lack of creative maturity.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell D. View Post
    I would argue with Captain America being a fringe character, but the others, yeah, hard to dispute.
    The name Captain America and the iconography of the shield probably had some limited pop culture cache, but the actual character of Steve Rogers/Captain America was largely unknown to a general audience. Yeah, he appeared in a couple of campy 70s TV movies and a really awful DTV movie in the late 80s (or was it early 90s) but neither of those really achieved any lasting penetration into the general pop culture consciousness. I doubt most people who aren't comic book fans have any specific or detailed memory of those beyond "yeah, I vaguely remember seeing those . . . they were awful."

BANNED

Why do so many seem to want a character who had always had a supporting rule in every medium to have a staying rule in a solo movie? How does that equal successful movie, our even improve female roles in films?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by kalorama View Post
    The name Captain America and the iconography of the shield probably had some limited pop culture cache, but the actual character of Steve Rogers/Captain America was largely unknown to a general audience. Yeah, he appeared in a couple of campy 70s TV movies and a really awful DTV movie in the late 80s (or was it early 90s) but neither of those really achieved any lasting penetration into the general pop culture consciousness. I doubt most people who aren't comic book fans have any specific or detailed memory of those beyond "yeah, I vaguely remember seeing those . . . they were awful."
    I'm not sure I've known anyone around my age that didn't play Captain America and The Avengers in the arcade. Same with the Capcom fighting games. Not that he was as big as the X-Men or Spider-Man then, but kids knew who he was from stuff outside of comics. Hell, I knew who Captain America was before I had ever read a comic book.

Quote Originally Posted by AJBopp View Post
    Why do so many seem to want a character who had always had a supporting rule in every medium to have a staying rule in a solo movie? How does that equal successful movie, our even improve female roles in films?
    Because straight white men.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by AJBopp View Post
    It doesn't and to give in this culture of Internet outrage, even catering to that limited audience will only cause them to rage further for no reasons other than lonely, white male 'feminists' know what is best for women, and are happy to tell them what is best for them.
    Women IRL don't give a **** about this stuff. They have more important things to fret over.

BANNED

I would argue that the iconic imagery of Captain America is a big thing, but then I remember that the character literally disappeared for almost over a decade before Kirby decided to bring him back in Avengers #4. So, yeah, you are probably right.

No doubt. If handled properly and executed correctly a Black Widow movie could be outstanding. But, really, you could say that about almost any concept.
    There could be weak concept and poor execution and it still would sell decently. A Black Widow movie could easily be made...and I think that is why people get so upset. There isn't enough logic in the world that can change people's minds when they are stuck on something that is seemingly easy to do. And really, why does it even have to be outstanding? Can we really say the Thor films are outstanding? Sometimes movies aren't so good, it happens. The sooner we stop treating female led films as special properties the better.
    Last edited by Mecegirl; 07-16-2015 at 09:21 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Mecegirl View Post
    There could be weak concept and poor execution and it still would sell decently. A Black Widow movie could easily be made...and I think that is why people get so upset. There isn't enough logic in the world that can change people's minds when they are stuck on something that is seemingly easy to do. And really, why does it even have to be outstanding? Can we really say the Thor films are outstanding? Sometimes movies aren't so good, it happens. The sooner we stop treating female led films as special properties the better.
    Just because something is easy to do isn't an actual reason or justification to do it.

Marvel is a business. Their goal is to make movies that make money (preferably good movies, but that's not necessarily a prerequisite). If they have reservations about the commercial viability of a Black Widow movie, then that's all the reason they need not to make one. Is it possible their reservations are unfounded? Sure. But it's also possible they're not. And by basing their decision on such bottom line considerations, they're treating Black Widow just like any studio treats any property: like a business asset with inherent risk attached.

Quote Originally Posted by Centipede Damascus View Post
    "Yes, we haven't had a female led movie yet, and I don't have a good reason for that, but we're absolutely planning to probably do a female led movie... in three years... You know, unless something else comes up we'd rather do!"
    Pretty much this. Stock answer is stock.

Just because something is easy to do isn't an actual reason or justification to do it.

Marvel is a business. Their goal is to make movies that make money (preferably good movies, but that's not necessarily a prerequisite). If they have reservations about the commercial viability of a Black Widow movie, then that's all the reason they need not to make one. Is it possible their reservations are unfounded? Sure. But it's also possible they're not. And by basing their decision on such bottom line considerations, they're treating Black Widow just like any studio treats any property: like a business asset with inherent risk attached.
    Even people who believe that they shouldn't' make a Black Widow film just to have a female led film can see how easy it would be to make one. And in this case the easy includes easy money. At this point the character has enough of a fan base and recognizablity that a movie could be made and actually make money. If Lucy can be made, and not completely bomb, what else would a Black Widow movie do but succeed? Arguing that they might be afraid that it would fail worked for the first round of movies. Now its like... if they can squeeze in Spiderman they may as well do a Black Widow film. There is no risk at this moment in time. A new Marvel movie is like printing money anyway.
    Last edited by Mecegirl; 07-16-2015 at 10:00 PM.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by skeezix View Post
    There have been four Black Widow (Romanov) Marvel Legends figures over the last 10 years or so which is really great for someone who is not named Spider-man, Wolverine, or Iron Man. There is a fifth one coming out very soon in an Amazon exclusive Avengers 4-pack.
    Let's not let facts get in the way of some good ol faux outrage.

All-New Member

Everyone in the movies has been the same gender that they were in the comics. If the misandrists have a problem with that, they can take it up with Stan Lee. This is like asking why aren't there more male Victoria's Secret models. You can't just Bruce Jenner the entire Marvel universe. There's going to be a couple male actors, sorry. We need to stop pretending it's a Shakespearean casting call.

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell D. View Post
    And the fact there were no Black Widow Avengers toys comes down to the fact that the line is geared towards little boys, and retail outlets smartly order based upon those sales figures. It's just a reality. Boys don't desire Ken dolls in the Barbie line, after all.
    Yeah, they've known since Princess Leia that the female action figures don't sell as well. And since the movies are just commercials for toys and other merchandise, I don't like Black Widow's chances.