Page 1 of 17 1234511 ... LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default Stephen King's "It" Lands New Director in Andy Muschietti

Following Cary Fukunaga's departure from the film, the director of "Mama" has stepped up to take over the big screen remake.

Full article here.

I've never seen the original It, or even read the book, but my mom is a huge King fan and she said the previous It, like apparently most King adaptations so far, have been awful, so a remake can only be better. If my mom's right then here's hoping they do better this time around.
    Meanwhile I should probably read the book.

The original IT was a TV miniseries, not a movie, that's one of the main reasons it didn't really measure up, Tim Curry did give a classic performance as Pennywise that is pretty fondly remembered though.

BANNED

Mama was actually one of the better horror films in the last couple of years. So maybe a good thing

Spectacular Member

The original IT was a TV miniseries that originally aired if I remember correctly ABC. Of course since it was a TV movie, it wouldn't incorporate some of the more mature things and subject matter in Stephen King's novel. However, as a movie itself and not comparing it to the book (which I read 20 years later), it is a great movie. The acting and story is great. Tim Curry gave an amazing classic performance as Pennywise. Most likely whoever plays that role will be facing comparisons to Curry's performance (much like how every Superman is compared to Reeve's). Plus the rest of the cast did an excellent job as well. For a TV horror movie, It has stood well with the test of time.
    Last edited by Paper Monkey; 07-16-2015 at 03:55 PM.

Isn't john boy fro, the waltons in it? Richard something or other.

Spectacular Member

The miniseries is a made for tv movie so it doesn't hold a candle to the gargantuan book, but it is a beloved miniseries by itself, who knows how this remake will turn out...

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by saul_on_the_road_to_damascus View Post
    Isn't john boy fro, the waltons in it? Richard something or other.
    Do you mean Richard Thomas? Yes, he is in it. The movie also has John Ritter, Harry Anderson, Jonathan Brandis, Annette O'Toole, and Seth Green in it that comes to my mind.

BANNED

Watched it a couple of years back, it really doesn't hold up at all to my childhood memories. Still, Curry's performance will be hard to top. He carried it, and still the only movie to give me nightmares.

I'm going out on a limb and guess the child orgy will once again be left out

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    I've never seen the original It, or even read the book, but my mom is a huge King fan and she said the previous It, like apparently most King adaptations so far, have been awful, so a remake can only be better. If my mom's right then here's hoping they do better this time around.
    Quote Originally Posted by Therion View Post
    The miniseries is a made for tv movie so it doesn't hold a candle to the gargantuan book, but it is a beloved miniseries by itself, who knows how this remake will turn out...
    This is not a remake of the 1990 mini-series, it's a separate adaptation of the same book.

Whenever someone makes a movie based on the novel Moby Dick is not "remaking" John Huston's film, They're making a new film based on the same literary source material. That's what the upcoming 2 part big screen version of Stephen King's IT movie is, not a remake of the 1990 movie but rather a new adaptation of the original source material.
    To me, the definition of a remake is when it's based on a motion picture produced earlier and it's original screenplay (one that is not based on any existing sourcer material like comics, novellas and books) like say The Blob, A Nightmare on Elm Street, The Hills Have Eyes etc. TRUE remakes in every sense.

It would be like saying every Dracula film is a "remake" of the 1931 film or the silent classic Nosferatu, NO they are all separate and different adaptation of the same source material. Another example is the films Last Man on Earth, Omega Man and I Am Legend which are all separate and completely different adaptations of the original source material which have nothing to do with each other. Same goes for Nolan's Batman Trilogy which aren't remakes of the earlier Batman films while The Dark Knight is a sequel while not a remake of 89's Batman because of Joker and stuff as it's a completely different story with a different Joker as i consider Nolan's trilogy to be a separate adaptation of the comics and graphic novels. Calling a new film based on an old comic previously film or a new film based on a novel filmed before a remake cheapens it a bit, when like i said they are separate adaptations.

Any, i was 9 when the mini-series came out and liked it and i read the book at age 10. This should be a nice adaptation.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Hiromi View Post
    Not if they go Anime.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hiromi View Post
    That scene still stands out in my mind as one of the creepiest things King has ever written. Completely out of nowhere and completely unnecessary (in my opinion). It must have been written in his heavy cocaine days. I'm surprised the editors allowed it and doubt it will be in the movie. I think audiences would be disturbed by Bev being gangbanged at the age of 11. It's a scene best left forgotten. (in my opinion)
    Last edited by DennisTheMenace; 07-17-2015 at 07:18 AM.

BANNED

I was always bugged by the guy sleeping with the teacher in the grocery store in "the Mist" while his wife was who knows where. I get the taking comfort where it comes, but your kid is there and all.

BANNED

Never saw Mama, so unlike the other director I don't know anything about him. Seems he's also doing the Shadow of the Colossus movie that Josh Trank was doing.

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Tim Curry is great in it as It, and there's a really good scene as the start with a book, but other than that It was a pretty terrible miniseries.