Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast
    BANNED

By the way, I don't see what the big fuss is about.

The 1990 miniseries, despite being a bit dated and corny in places, is still more scary than this.

The movie just feels like a coming of age story akin to The Goonies but with some light scares thrown in here and there. And the excessive CGI was straight up garbage. Especially the sewer drain scene with Georgie.

I yearn like hell for the days of practical effects and masters of the craft like Tom Savini, Stan Winston and Rob Bottin.

Quote Originally Posted by Judge Dredd View Post
    Yeah shame on him wanting his work to be like the actual books what a jackass.
    Gotta keep in mind than an adaptation always implies changes,a word for word transcription from a book to a movie would be impossible, inadvisable and pointless.

Quote Originally Posted by Starter Set View Post
    Gotta keep in mind than an adaptation always implies changes,a word for word transcription from a book to a movie would be impossible, inadvisable and pointless.
    Some changes are one thing, but Jack had such an amazing arc as discussed earlier in the topic that was lost and it loses a bit of the character in the movie. Also IT Is very much a coming of age book it was a huge part of the kids especially with the whole weird creepy sex scene in the sewer with the kids. (In book only will never ever be in an adaption of the book)

Savini and Winston are horror geniuses however sadly those days are gone for the most part, but practical is always better then CGI if you can do it.
    Last edited by Judge Dredd; 09-12-2017 at 02:20 PM.

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Anyone agree with me that The Langoliers is the best King TV movie/short movie miniseries adaptation (no TV shows!...like 5-10 episode things) IF you don't consider Tobe Hooper's super duper awesome Salem's Lot?

You could vote The Stand if you think any source material issues don't do enough to knock it down vs Langoliers or It or etc. Some may think Langoliers is boring or whatever, or criticize the special effects (it was a made-for-TV movie in 90s, what did you expect!?) but I really liked it and thought it was nearly identical to the source material. Loved Pinchot's maniacal Craig Toomey.

Can't count Storm of the Century, which is great, because not an adaptation of a previously published King story.

"Seldom does a made for television movie series so closely resemble the text of the story as does Tom Holland’s teleplay based on Stephen King’s novella, The Langoliers"
    http://brianbookreviews.blogspot.com...iers-1995.html

(I actually loved the TV Stand movie, so I might be warped right now to argue that I like Langoliers more, I may really not...but Stand, Langoliers, Hooper's Salem's Lot...the best TV movie adaptations definitely I think)
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 09-12-2017 at 02:42 PM.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

I remember liking it but unlike IT and the Stand I have not watched since it came out so don't know if I would put above the Stand I'll have to see if it is on DVD and rewatch it.

Quote Originally Posted by JBatmanFan05 View Post
    Anyone agree with me that The Langoliers is the best King TV movie/short movie miniseries adaptation (no TV shows!...like 5-10 episode things) IF you don't consider Tobe Hooper's super duper awesome Salem's Lot?

You could vote The Stand if you think any source material issues don't do enough to knock it down vs Langoliers or It or etc. Some may think Langoliers is boring or whatever, or criticize the special effects (it was a made-for-TV movie in 90s, what did you expect!?) but I really liked it and thought it was nearly identical to the source material. Loved Pinchot's maniacal Craig Toomey.

Can't count Storm of the Century, which is great, because not an adaptation of a previously published King story.

"Seldom does a made for television movie series so closely resemble the text of the story as does Tom Holland’s teleplay based on Stephen King’s novella, The Langoliers"

(I actually loved the TV Stand movie, so I might be warped right now to argue that I like Langoliers more, I may really not...but Stand, Langoliers, Hooper's Salem's Lot...the best TV movie adaptations definitely I think)
    I liked the Shining Remake myself. Must closer to the book than the original movie. I hate it.
    Richard Alexander

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by richalex View Post
    I liked the Shining Remake myself. Must closer to the book than the original movie. I hate it.
    I really like it too, but it still lacks the book's very rated R-ness and other things I liked about the book, kinda lacks some gravitas and scary. Langoliers didn't much jar with the novella or whatever it was like at all.
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 09-12-2017 at 02:59 PM.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Quote Originally Posted by Cimmerian View Post

The 1990 miniseries, despite being a bit dated and corny in places, is still more scary than this.

The movie just feels like a coming of age story akin to The Goonies but with some light scares thrown in here and there. And the excessive CGI was straight up garbage. Especially the sewer drain scene with Georgie.

I yearn like hell for the days of practical effects and masters of the craft like Tom Savini, Stan Winston and Rob Bottin.
    Eh ... I see your point but I don't agree. The TV version just seems like a sicko in a clown outfit. The movie version seemed more like a real monster.

The 1990 miniseries, for my money, has not one single actual scary scene in it. So if the movie notches just one, its already more scary.

And I don't hate the miniseries. The first part with the kids is pretty good all things considered (the second part gets really lame regardless despite any rose-colored glasses I want to wear). But no part of it is scary. And I'm not saying that from the point of view as an adult now. I first saw the mini when I was 12-13. Read the book shortly thereafter. The mini I enjoyed, it was suspenseful and a thriller to me, but not scary. The book then scared the bejeezus out of me.

Also, King's preference over the tv movie version of the Shining over Kubrick's is sound. There's nothing wrong with him preferring a more faithful rendition of his own work and the tv movie was indeed more faithful. The movie was a better overall product, but it barely even warrants being called the Shining, as it was that fundamentally different from the source.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 09-12-2017 at 03:21 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

I would not call the new one scary either but has a creepier tone then the mini series but I do not find any movies to be actually scary. Books are much better at that then movies.

Quote Originally Posted by Judge Dredd View Post
    No they need to keep it as an adaption of IT and not an adaption of the mini-series. Pennywise is not an evil laughing clown it is an alien that feeds on fear making IT so human was a horrible idea. This one was much more like IT were it adapts to what each kid fears. Curry was not scary in anyway he was a cheesy looking clown with fake teeth, not a monster from another dimension, IT is a monster pretending to be human so it needs to be somewhat off to what normal people do. Also in the book I do not think he ever even makes jokes or laugh he is a monster who eats kids. It was so much nicer to get something closer to the actual Pennywise and am very thankful they did not worry about mini-series fans.
    Well I'm not saying the TV was the best adaptation, I'm saying Tim Curry was a hundred times more scary than the clown in the movie. Because of his voice, of his acting and cause less is more. After the hundred times seeing Pennywise in the movie with various CGI bullshit, I stopped caring. Like I said, the TV show was Jaws, the movie was Deep Blue Sea.

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    The 1990 miniseries, for my money, has not one single actual scary scene in it. So if the movie notches just one, its already more scary.

And I don't hate the miniseries. The first part with the kids is pretty good all things considered (the second part gets really lame regardless despite any rose-colored glasses I want to wear). But no part of it is scary. And I'm not saying that from the point of view as an adult now. I first saw the mini when I was 12-13. Read the book shortly thereafter. The mini I enjoyed, it was suspenseful and a thriller to me, but not scary. The book then scared the bejeezus out of me.

Also, King's preference over the tv movie version of the Shining over Kubrick's is sound. There's nothing wrong with him preferring a more faithful rendition of his own work and the tv movie was indeed more faithful. The movie was a better overall product, but it barely even warrants being called the Shining, as it was that fundamentally different from the source.
    But what is not scary for you may be to other people. I know cause I've argued with people over the years who thought the Howling was stupid and for my money it's one of the scariest monster flicks I've ever seen. Others find the Paranormal Activity flicks scary and I don't.

Quote Originally Posted by JBatmanFan05 View Post

I have to admit I had a hard time suspending my disbelief when I saw a bunch of Pacman army on screen....(still better than Pixel, though!). I'm a big fan of The Stand and also The Golden Years.

And the excessive CGI was straight up garbage. Especially the sewer drain scene with Georgie.

This X1000

I enjoyed the movie as much as I could a modern horror movie. I'm sure there are good ones out there I've never heard of but I'm talking about popular stuff that's in the theaters. Cartoons aren't scary. Maybe in some scenes but my oh my. Every scare had to have loud noises and Pennywise running towards the camera. That isn't scary at all. The blood scene was laughable...

Quote Originally Posted by Da Boat View Post
    Well I'm not saying the TV was the best adaptation, I'm saying Tim Curry was a hundred times more scary than the clown in the movie. Because of his voice, of his acting and cause less is more. After the hundred times seeing Pennywise in the movie with various CGI bullshit, I stopped caring. Like I said, the TV show was Jaws, the movie was Deep Blue Sea.
    That is cool I appreciated the closer adaption of the movie even though it was still off. Obviously to many Curry scared the crap out of them know several people who are still freaked out about it. I just find him funnier then scary, but to each their own.