Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Would this be better suited for a tv series like the original adaptation? I love King's work but most of his novels don't adapt to the big screen well, Shawshank Redemption and the Green Mile being exceptions. But we'll see.

I lost all excitement for this back when they booted the original director because corporate wanted something very generic full of jump-scares. Since the new guy was almost certainly hired for his willingness to obey corporate, this will likely be an extremely generic, by the numbers, movie that you forget you watched within a day of watching it. When was the last memorable horror movie you watched? The genre is pretty much dead.

Quote Originally Posted by Killercroc357 View Post
    Oh for god's sake, are they teasing teasers now? I'm getting fed up with this.
    Life is but a dream

They've been doing that for several years now.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeP View Post
    Oh for god's sake, are they teasing teasers now? I'm getting fed up with this.
    Frankly, the trailer itself isn't bad. It's 2 minutes and states the general mystery, but other than that leaves everything else in the air. For now, it seems pretty faithful to the book.

I'm getting pumped.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Really unsettling trailer, that thankfully got its point across without revealing too much. Visuals are fantastic, and Pennywise looks terrifying.

It looks like we are getting Eddie being chased by the leper (wonder if the "blowjob" line will make it in?), and the dead boys with Mike instead of Stan. We also have Beverly getting sprayed by what I assume will be red colored blood in the final film. I don't really remember that final scene with Georgie, so they might be adding in stuff. There's no way they can get everything from the novel into the film, so some experimental adapting is probably in order.

damn, color me impressed with the trailer

Hmm. Well its obviously not too faithful. Leaving out the infamous sewer scene, there are elements of the book that wouldn't translate well to film. It looks like they're taking advantage of the timeshift from the 50s to the 80s. And the haunted house is in it!

So far, I'm cautiously optimitic. I just hope they don't rely entirely on jumpscares. That shot of IT at the end of the trailer doesn't fill me with confidence regarding that.

Personally, I hope they leave out the adult portions entirely for the first movie, focus completely on the children. I hope they are as intelligent as in the book and are able to figure out the nature of what IT is.
    Life is but a dream

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MikeP View Post
    Personally, I hope they leave out the adult portions entirely for the first movie, focus completely on the children. I hope they are as intelligent as in the book and are able to figure out the nature of what IT is.
    The adult portions aren't gonna be in this at all, they are saving that for a possible sequel. The narrative lends itself well to the first installment ending in such a way where It's "death" is ambiguous, but could be interpreted as being legit if this film is all we get.

The underage orgy will thankfully not be making it into this. I understand the scene with context, but even then it's the only part of the novel that I would be 100% with them cutting out.

Quote Originally Posted by Hiromi View Post
    damn, color me impressed with the trailer
    Eh, it looked exactly the way I expected it to: all jump scares, no creeping dread. I miss horror movies before the current jump-scare-athon formula set it. And I miss Tim Curry's creepy voice.
    Last edited by MichaelC; 03-29-2017 at 12:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelC View Post
    And I miss Tim Curry's creepy voice.
    My favorite production trivia: Tim Curry was indeed approached to reprise his role and was invited to audition. Curry turned down the offer several times, as the studio was pretty insistent to get him on board (who can blame them?).

Only a few years after this series of refusals was the answer truly revealed, in that Curry was turning down roles because of severe health issues. Tim Curry was highly secretive of the fact that he was in ill-health, and even covered up his major stroke in 2012 that ended up paralyzing him. It's extremely shitty that this kind of thing happens to the best of us. It's also important to note that this movie's been in development since 2009, when he was in better condition.

As much as we complain about modern horror movie techniques, I would've been tickled to see a veteran and stage presence like Curry with the modern. It goes to show how much of an impact he had, and how much filmmakers still wanted to work with him.
    Last edited by Cyke; 03-29-2017 at 03:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelC View Post
    I lost all excitement for this back when they booted the original director because corporate wanted something very generic full of jump-scares. Since the new guy was almost certainly hired for his willingness to obey corporate, this will likely be an extremely generic, by the numbers, movie that you forget you watched within a day of watching it. When was the last memorable horror movie you watched? The genre is pretty much dead.
    The Babadook.

Quote Originally Posted by robreedwrites View Post
    The Babadook.
    Scariest. Pokemon. Ever.