Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
    Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

I'm still mightily struggling with 80s replacing 50s. It was always, to me, like the ultimate Stand By Me story (King talking about the decade he grew up in).

I think I want to re-read the book more than anything now. Such an immersive atmospheric gradual story. Really just impossible to properly adapt short of like literally Rob Reiner doing it in mini series in 1989 or 1990.
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 09-06-2017 at 08:10 AM.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Extraordinary Member Vanguard-01's Avatar

Grace Randolph loved it too!

Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

Extraordinary Member Vanguard-01's Avatar

Jeremy Jahns as well. Between him, Randolph, and Stuckman, that makes my trifecta of trusted reviewers, so I'm pretty much ready to say I'm gonna love this movie!

Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by saul_on_the_road_to_damascus View Post
    Isn't john boy fro, the waltons in it? Richard something or other.
    Richard Thomas played Bill. He was great I thought.

Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar

I heard that Stephen King actually likes this movie, and saw it twice. (First movie adaptation of his work he's ever liked?)

And the director Andy Muschietti will also be directing the pilot of the new Hulu series Locke & Key, based on the comics series by King's son, Joe Hill.

Stephen King said that he liked the movie version of the Mist so much, he wished he had come up with the ending that the movie had. Very different than the ending of his story.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard-01 View Post
    Jeremy Jahns as well. Between him, Randolph, and Stuckman, that makes my trifecta of trusted reviewers, so I'm pretty much ready to say I'm gonna love this movie!

Add in John Campea. Also the Collider reviewers Peri Nemiroff and Mark Reilly who are major horror fans both LOVED it and said it was genuinely scary and creepy through out the whole thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Malvolio View Post
    Stephen King said that he liked the movie version of the Mist so much, he wished he had come up with the ending that the movie had. Very different than the ending of his story.
    Yeah, but the Mist was a short story, this is probably the first adaptation of one of his major works he's been this positive on

Quote Originally Posted by Hiromi View Post
    this is probably the first adaptation of one of his major works he's been this positive on
    I think he loved Misery's adaptation and mentioned it in one of his books on watching movies. Misery is like really up there, and for me is even more amazing as a adaptation because Shawshank and Stand By Me and others added stuff to the book material that King never had in there. Shawkshank in a funny way was unfaithful by even outdoing the source material.

All in all, I think Misery did best job of just straight up faithfully adapting a King book to screen. Though the book is still better and had this even more R-rated feel to it and had some gory parts that the movie removed.
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 09-06-2017 at 02:15 PM.

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Stephen King and I share a hometown. In fact, we shared the same neighborhood.

In the news over the last couple of weeks, it's been shown he's been doing quite an awesome promotion. A single red balloon in one of the windows of his house.
    Original join date: sometime in 2002

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewCrossett View Post
    I heard that Stephen King actually likes this movie, and saw it twice. (First movie adaptation of his work he's ever liked?)

And the director Andy Muschietti will also be directing the pilot of the new Hulu series Locke & Key, based on the comics series by King's son, Joe Hill.
    First movie adptation he's ever liked? Seems odd given Shawshank Redemption and Green Mile.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Photon Torme View Post
    First movie adptation he's ever liked? Seems odd given Shawshank Redemption and Green Mile.
    Was just about to say this. I refuse to believe that he didn't like those two films.

Quote Originally Posted by Namor'sWrath View Post
    Was just about to say this. I refuse to believe that he didn't like those two films.
    You are correct not sure how they come up with that line.

"Stephen King has slammed the film adaptations of his stories Graveyard Shift and The Shining, and praised those of Cujo, Stand By Me and The Shawshank Redemption in a wide-ranging interview with Deadline.

Revealing that he would “love to work” with Lars Von Trier one day on one of his books, King said his favourite adaptations of his work were The Shawshank Redemption, the story of the wrongfully imprisoned Andy Dufresne, and Stand By Me, about four boys who set out to find a body. The adaption of his tale of a rabid dog, Cujo, is the best “of the smaller pictures”.

His least favourites, he admitted, included Graveyard Shift, which was made in 1990, and which he called “just kind of a quick exploitation picture… I guess there are a number of pictures that I feel like, a little bit like, ‘yuck’,” said King. “I could do without all of the Children of the Corn sequels. I actually like the original pretty well. I thought they did a pretty good job on that.”

Stanley Kubrick’s adaptation of The Shining, which King has long been critical of, also came in for a drubbing in the Deadline interview. “I think The Shining is a beautiful film and it looks terrific and as I’ve said before, it’s like a big, beautiful Cadillac with no engine inside it … I kept my mouth shut at the time, but I didn’t care for it much,” said King.

“The character of Jack Torrance has no arc in that movie. Absolutely no arc at all. When we first see Jack Nicholson, he’s in the office of Mr Ullman, the manager of the hotel, and you know then he’s crazy as a shithouse rat. All he does is get crazier. In the book, he’s a guy who’s struggling with his sanity and finally loses it. To me, that’s a tragedy. In the movie, there’s no tragedy because there’s no real change.”"

Quote Originally Posted by Judge Dredd View Post

Stanley Kubrick’s adaptation of The Shining, which King has long been critical of, also came in for a drubbing in the Deadline interview. “I think The Shining is a beautiful film and it looks terrific and as I’ve said before, it’s like a big, beautiful Cadillac with no engine inside it … I kept my mouth shut at the time, but I didn’t care for it much,” said King.

“The character of Jack Torrance has no arc in that movie. Absolutely no arc at all. When we first see Jack Nicholson, he’s in the office of Mr Ullman, the manager of the hotel, and you know then he’s crazy as a shithouse rat. All he does is get crazier. In the book, he’s a guy who’s struggling with his sanity and finally loses it. To me, that’s a tragedy. In the movie, there’s no tragedy because there’s no real change.”"
    King put it well on Kubrick's film....I love Kubrick's Shining but I am most loyal to the book where Jack is perhaps the best and most complicated and conflicted character King ever wrote. His tragic fall is so gradual and sympathetic, like Ned Stark's in Game of Thrones.

The biggest tragedy of Kubrick's film may be that so many got a misleading look into the great book character of Jack Torrance. The 1997 miniseries gives you a PG taste of the book.
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 09-07-2017 at 10:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JBatmanFan05 View Post
    King put it well on Kubrick's film....I love Kubrick's Shining but I am most loyal to the book where Jack is perhaps the best and most complicated and conflicted character King ever wrote. His tragic fall is so gradual and sympathetic, like Ned Stark's in Game of Thrones.

The biggest tragedy of Kubrick's film may be that so many got a misleading look into the great book character of Jack Torrance. The 1997 miniseries gives you a PG taste of the book.
    Yeah it was an extremely well done arc in the book maybe King's best. Enjoyable movie, but that book is something special read it after seeing the film when younger and was blown away by the book and how he handled the character.