Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast
    Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Judge Dredd View Post
    Yeah it was an extremely well done arc in the book maybe King's best. Enjoyable movie, but that book is something special read it after seeing the film when younger and was blown away by the book and how he handled the character.
    I first read the book in my teens and was struck by how King geniusly would get the reader to basically agree with Jack's logic ("I or we can't leave or do x because x, y, and z"). The dramatic irony of suspecting Jack is making a mistake that will come back to hurt the family, but absolutely seeing his well intentioned very reasonable logic because he doesn't know or understand the forces subtly working against him and the family.
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 09-07-2017 at 12:01 PM.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Quote Originally Posted by JBatmanFan05 View Post
    I first read the book in my teens and was struck by King geniusly would get the reader to basically agree with Jack's logic ("I or we can't leave or do x because x, y, and z"). The dramatic irony of suspecting Jack is making a mistake that will come back to hurt the family, but absolutely seeing his well intentioned very reasonable logic because he doesn't know or understand the forces subtly working against him and family.
    Yeah it was nice seeing his logic slowly come back to haunt them. I was also a big fan of when Danny and Wendy driving back to the hotel with the radio warning about weather and playing Bad Moon Rising making it clear what is to come. It felt the book and some of his others have just such a strong claustrophobic feeling to them you cannot help but feel it well you read. I feel the same about Lovecraft especially his Imprisoned with the Pharaohs story give you a feeling that a movie has never been able to get me to feel.

Quote Originally Posted by Judge Dredd View Post
    Yeah it was nice seeing his logic slowly come back to haunt them. I was also a big fan of when Danny and Wendy driving back to the hotel with the radio warning about weather and playing Bad Moon Rising making it clear what is to come. It felt the book and some of his others have just such a strong claustrophobic feeling to them you cannot help but feel it well you read. I feel the same about Lovecraft especially his Imprisoned with the Pharaohs story give you a feeling that a movie has never been able to get me to feel.
    Yes, I absolutely love Lovecraft and his ability to creep you out and/or create an various atmospheres or make you feel like you're in New England (especially with his antiquarian language). His lonely insular, hermit-like protagonists leave you just as claustrophobic as various story events.

"Under the Pyramids" is so great (the preferred title I know it as, I guess that was HP's preferred draft title, it seems Weird Tales chose its own title and didn't even first put Lovecraft in the credits).

My complete HP Lovecraft collection from Barnes and Noble comes with me every single vacation (I think “In the Walls of Eryx” is only story people contend belonged in the collection that was left out & I agree). I read and re-read Lovecraft constantly.
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 09-07-2017 at 12:51 PM.

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Yes, I absolutely love Lovecraft and his ability to creep you out and/or create an various atmospheres or make you feel like you're in New England (especially with his antiquarian language). His lonely insular, hermit-like protagonists leave you just as claustrophobic as various story events.

"Under the Pyramids" is so great (the preferred title I know it as, I guess that was HP's preferred draft title, it seems Weird Tales chose its own title and didn't even first put Lovecraft in the credits).

My complete HP Lovecraft collection from Barnes and Noble comes with me every single vacation (I think “In the Walls of Eryx” is only story people contend belonged in the collection that was left out & I agree). I read and re-read Lovecraft constantly.
    That complete collection is one of my favorite books that or the Sherlock collection always travel with me. I am actually in New England so it is like he is in the backyard, every October in Providence they do a tour and hit some major Lovecraft related houses and locations. Never done the official tour but have gone around with the map and guide to what each building is and how they relate to Lovercraft that they provide to check out some of the land marks nice way to spend a day in the fall.

Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar

I think "At the Mountains of Madness" is Lovecraft's best story... the sense of isolation and alienness he achieves is impressive. I try to re-read it around Halloween.

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewCrossett View Post
    I think "At the Mountains of Madness" is Lovecraft's best story... the sense of isolation and alienness he achieves is impressive. I try to re-read it around Halloween.
    It's tough. I have this leaning towards "The Case of Charles Dexter Ward" as the best and my favorite and love it for the reasons many knock it for. But "At the Mountains of Madness" and "The Colour Out of Space" are definitely up there, at probably two or three, definitely in the top 5 level.

Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar

It's tough. I have this leaning towards "The Case of Charles Dexter Ward" as the best and my favorite and love it for the reasons many knock it for. But "At the Mountains of Madness" and "The Colour Out of Space" are definitely up there, at probably two or three, definitely in the top 5 level.
    "The Dreams in the Witch-House" was probably the story of his that scared me most when I read it. I think it's the only story I've read as an adult that made me reluctant to turn out the light.

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard-01 View Post
    Jeremy Jahns as well. Between him, Randolph, and Stuckman, that makes my trifecta of trusted reviewers, so I'm pretty much ready to say I'm gonna love this movie!

They are like the least demanding and harsh critics on You Tube. If I really want to learn something about Cinema, I'm not gonna go with these guys,frankly.

Might be the most impressive costume set I've seen them wear

Extraordinary Member Vanguard-01's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Da Boat View Post
    They are like the least demanding and harsh critics on You Tube. If I really want to learn something about Cinema, I'm not gonna go with these guys,frankly.
    They enjoy movies and will tell me whether I'm likely to enjoy it. Their tastes and mine tend to align, so I trust their judgment for the most part.

I'm not looking to learn about cinema. I already know what I need to know about it. I only care about whether I'm likely to enjoy the movie in question.

And Grace Randolph is an actual film student and often has great insights about the movie industry in general, so I can learn plenty from her.
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

Tried to see it last night but it was sold out, apparently it wasn't an isolated experience as it made 13.5 million, blowing the doors off the 8 million record Paranormal Activity set for horror movies back in 2011, and it's projected to have an 80 million weekend(blowing the doors off that record also set by PA3 with 52.5 million). With a budget of only 35 million it's looking to be a massive hit already.
    Last edited by Hiromi; 09-08-2017 at 11:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hiromi View Post
    Tried to see it last night but it was sold out, apparently it wasn't an isolated experience as it made 13.5 million, blowing the doors off the 8 million record Paranormal Activity set for horror movies back in 2011, and it's projected to have an 80 million weekend(blowing the doors off that record also set by PA3 with 52.5 million). With a budget of only 35 million it's looking to be a massive hit already.
    Wow good for them hopefully it is good because with those numbers sounds like part 2 is on the way. Got my ticket for Tuesday as it is cheapest day to go cannot wait to see it and hopefully they captured the books tone and characters. .

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard-01 View Post
    They enjoy movies and will tell me whether I'm likely to enjoy it. Their tastes and mine tend to align, so I trust their judgment for the most part.

I'm not looking to learn about cinema. I already know what I need to know about it. I only care about whether I'm likely to enjoy the movie in question.

And Grace Randolph is an actual film student and often has great insights about the movie industry in general, so I can learn plenty from her.
    Grace is pretty much the worst critic I have ever seen. When she talks about movies she's like the opposite of a movie lover, it's like she is trying to sell you something like in an infomartial. So robotic.

I just got back from it, it does have flaws, not all the kids get the best set up, however that's to be expected given there's seven of them and only so much run time. That said the kids in this are fantastic, great acting, great chemistry. Skarsgard is fantastic, you can't say enough about him, if anything there isn't enough for him because every scene he got he owned. Movie has some legitimately creepy and tense scenes, and while it does use a lot of jump scares, they're good jump scares, with the entire scene being built around them rather than random bullshit(ie the noise only to see it's a mouse). But even as a horror movie you get a legitimately good and warm feeling at the end which makes me say this isn't just a good horror movie, but a good movie in a general sense. Definitely recommended.

Quote Originally Posted by Hiromi View Post
    I just got back from it, it does have flaws, not all the kids get the best set up, however that's to be expected given there's seven of them and only so much run time. That said the kids in this are fantastic, great acting, great chemistry. Skarsgard is fantastic, you can't say enough about him, if anything there isn't enough for him because every scene he got he owned. Movie has some legitimately creepy and tense scenes, and while it does use a lot of jump scares, they're good jump scares, with the entire scene being built around them rather than random bullshit(ie the noise only to see it's a mouse). But even as a horror movie you get a legitimately good and warm feeling at the end which makes me say this isn't just a good horror movie, but a good movie in a general sense. Definitely recommended.
    Nice to hear and from the sounds of things it is going to make some money this weekend so he will have more screen time as Pennywise.