Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member Vanguard-01's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Da Boat View Post
    Grace is pretty much the worst critic I have ever seen. When she talks about movies she's like the opposite of a movie lover, it's like she is trying to sell you something like in an infomartial. So robotic.
    I have never seen the word "robotic" used to describe Grace.

Sorry. I just don't see it.
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

Quote Originally Posted by Judge Dredd View Post
    Nice to hear and from the sounds of things it is going to make some money this weekend so he will have more screen time as Pennywise.
    I just hope they can get good actors for the adults as the kid actors were one of the big strengths of the movie

Quote Originally Posted by Hiromi View Post
    I just hope they can get good actors for the adults as the kid actors were one of the big strengths of the movie
    Yeah, the kids in the movie were absolutely fantastic. It's almost a little sad they won't be staring in the next one. That one will have some big shoes to fill.

Quote Originally Posted by Hiromi View Post
    Good to hear about the kids being a good job. I know one is from Stranger Things and was great in that, they could have used the other kids from that show also as they all appeared to be based around King's work.

I love this book. It's so damn out there. The climax of the book is actually the children's story since it goes back and forth. It would be very tough to make a true climax without the kids part I don't think since that stuff is so much better. One of the weakest elements of the 1990 movie.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard-01 View Post
    I have never seen the word "robotic" used to describe Grace.

Sorry. I just don't see it.
    I don't know Grace by name, but when I saw the word robotic I guessed who she was. After a quick google search I see it is in fact who I thought. Yeah, she is very robotic. She talks like she's explaining things to small children in her videos.

I'm pretty sure this whole video is making fun of her weird videos and delivery.

Mighty Member

LOVED this movie. Girlfriend didn't like it as much, as she was expecting a standard horror-genre type of film, but I thought the movie was amazing. The Losers Club just kills it.

Quote Originally Posted by Namor'sWrath View Post
    LOVED this movie. Girlfriend didn't like it as much, as she was expecting a standard horror-genre type of film, but I thought the movie was amazing. The Losers Club just kills it.
    Yeah, the loses club was great. They gave the movie so much heart. It turned a horror movie into almost a feel good movie because of how they came together in the end.

I'm still worried the adults in the sequel will be able to replicate that.

It's already doubled it's budget in a day and previews, so hopefully the studio is willing to sink some resources into it

Just saw it in IMAX great movie and with the sound system the first few scenes with Pennywise got so loud you feel the rumble was great experience. Kids were great and looks like it is going to do well enough both box office and critically that they can get some damn good actors for adults as they got big shoes to fill.

Mighty Member

The kids were so good that I'm skeptical the second one can be as good as this one was.

Extraordinary Member

The adult part can be done well if they are willing to really go where the book went and showcase how different this monster is when dealing with adults vs kids. It's actually one of those situations where the kids were a lot better off facing IT than they would be 27 years later as more cynical and jaded adults.

Quote Originally Posted by Za Waldo View Post
    I don't know Grace by name, but when I saw the word robotic I guessed who she was. After a quick google search I see it is in fact who I thought. Yeah, she is very robotic. She talks like she's explaining things to small children in her videos.

I'm pretty sure this whole video is making fun of her weird videos and delivery.
    Exactly.

It's like she is someone that is not knowledgeable in movies and only learned about it at school and passed down what she learned without having her own critical independant thought. It reminds of the movie "Dead Poet Society" when their teacher gives the students a book of how to write poetry "correctly" with countless rules. When the new teacher arrives played by Robin Williams, he says to the students basically to destroy your books. This is not poetry, poetry comes from the heart, etc...

Also if an alien would come to Earth and would try to disguise itself as a movie critic, it would sound like Grace.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=4323&p=.htm
    'It' Devours Competition with Record-Breaking $117 Million Opening

by Brad Brevet

September 10, 2017

With a monster, $117 million opening weekend Warner Bros. and New Line's It has delivered a record-breaking opening, breathing a little life back into the slumping domestic box office. The film has claimed the largest September opening, largest Fall opening, the largest opening for an R-rated horror film, not to mention the largest opening weekend for a horror film of any MPAA rating, and tops Open Road's new release Home Again in second place by nearly $110 million. Overall, the film accounted for more than 75% of the combined gross for the weekend's top twelve, and we've only just begun.

With an estimated $117 million, WB and New Line's It, an adaptation of the acclaimed Stephen King novel, claimed the weekend's #1 spot with ease, besting Open Road's new release of Home Again in second place by nearly $110 million, the fifth largest gap between first and second place all-time. The film also dusted the previous opening weekend record for an R-rated horror film, more than doubling Paranormal Activity 3's previous record of $52.5 million. In fact, It is already the fifth highest grossing R-rated horror film all-time after just three days in release.

The horror film's debut was the widest opening ever for an R-rated film and as such delivered the second largest opening for an R-rated movie behind Deadpool's $132.4 million opening last February. Additionally, the previous opening weekend record for September was held by Hotel Transylvania 2 with $48.5 million and the previous Fall opening weekend record was Gravity's $55.7 million, neither of which stood a chance against It and combined don't even come within $10 million.

It should be mentioned that rival estimates put It's opening over $120 million and some closer to $125 million. One obvious reason for the disparity has to do with Hurricane Irma hitting Florida this weekend where ~175 theaters are closed. The state typically represents 5.5-6.5% of the domestic gross each weekend.

It received a "B+" CinemaScore, which, for comparison, is below the "A-" the first two Conjuring films received and ahead of both Annabelle features. The audience was split nearly down the middle, playing 51% female vs. 49% male with 10% of the audience under the age of 18, of which scored the film an "A-". Overall 65% of the audience was over the age of 25.

Internationally, It brought in an estimated $62 million from 46 markets for a $179 million global debut. The overseas numbers include the largest opening weekend for a horror film in the U.K. ($12.3m), Russia ($6.7m), Australia ($5.9m), Brazil ($5.6m), Netherlands ($1.4m) and Poland ($1.15m). Upcoming releases include openings in The next key markets to open include Sweden and Mexico next week followed by France (Sep 20), Argentina (Sep 21), Germany (Sep 28) and Italy (Oct 19).
    Would not be surprised if this film continues to destroy records, should have good dancing clown legs

Interesting year for King movies we got a big old bomb and a smash hit. Hopefully this one will lead to some more rated R adaptions, over the years they have talked about doing Stand movie and this may be opening the door to that. To bad they killed the Dark Tower series potential with the mess of the movie.