Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Hawkeye #22 Spoilers/Discussion

I read. I loved it. A very satisfying conclusion to the series, with everybody got a moment in the spotlight.

One thing though: spoilers:
    PIZZA DOG! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!
    end of spoilers

But yeah. Asses were kicked, arrows were shot, a good time was had by all.

Bro.

I'm going to miss it. Great end to a great run.

It'll be great in collected form. The delays really harmed sales, I think, but it was a great book. I'm hoping for an omnibus edition.

Quote Originally Posted by genki_desu View Post
    It'll be great in collected form. The delays really harmed sales, I think, but it was a great book. I'm hoping for an omnibus edition.
    I'm pretty sure an Omnibus has been confirmed.

---

I really enjoyed this. I just reread the run over the past few days in anticipation of the final issue, and it really all came together in a satisfying way. It was well worth the wait, in the end.
    Last edited by robreedwrites; 07-15-2015 at 01:56 PM.

BANNED

If you could, I highly recommend re-reading Fraction/Aja's Hawkeye up until #22. Its got so many great callbacks and payoffs. Clint finally learns how to do that twist and SNAP move they teased way back when. He ties up The Clown with those damn wires from Hawkeye #6. The safe, Penny, the neighbors, the building, Clint/Kate having a perfect reconnection with the Boomerang arrow/the sign language/the dual archery at the end. Like Immortal Iron Fist, Fraction gives all his heroes a moment over the bad guys, sets up potential threads for future writers, but brings almost all his threads to a satisfactory closure. And unlike Immortal Iron Fist, this time he actually gets to do it with David Aja the whole way through, along with one of the best letterers and colorists in the business.

A great ending to a great series

That was a great ending, but I hate that I fell for the fake death cliffhanger of the penultimate issue.
    I will miss this run. Fraction comics are hit/miss with me, but this hit it out of the park.
    Hopefully Lemire's run can live up to this. I enjoy his giving it a spookier vibe so far, but keeping the light, fun atmosphere as well. And keeping Kate in the book.

The ending makes you wonder if the Hawkeye Vs. Hawkeye is Barney vs. Clint instead of Clint vs. Kate?

Not going to say it was worth the wait, because the wait was beyond ridiculous and to merit that the ending should have been a 90 page Giant Size issue, but it was a good ending to the run.

Extraordinary Member Omega Alpha's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kurtzberg View Post
    Not going to say it was worth the wait, because the wait was beyond ridiculous and to merit that the ending should have been a 90 page Giant Size issue, but it was a good ending to the run.
    My thoughts exactly.

It was worth the wait. Quality over quantity.

it was good. i did laugh at the 'check out Hawkeye #1' ad though.

While never a fan of the series a rather solid finish for the series.

Solid finish, despite the delay.

3 years to finish 22 issues of this series really hurt this book imo. Not to mention it got really slow when it focused solely on Kate. Otherwise, a great run, but there were certain parts that far surpass others in terms of quality. particularly the first two volumes.
    Currently Reading: DC: Shazam /// MARVEL: Daredevil, Invaders, Winter Soldier /// IMAGE: Seven to Eternity /// TITAN: Bloodborne

Upcoming Reading:

Trade Waiting: IMAGE: East of West, Black Road, The Black Monday Murders /// DARK HORSE: Hellboy, Witcher

This was absolutely worth the wait - the various callbacks as listed above (don't forget collar stays!!!) right down to Clint's ASL "Thank you, Hawkeye" to Kate. The delays will soon become a memory and this run will stand the test of time as a groundbreaking book for Marvel and a must-read (and re-read) for those new to comic books. I own the complete series digitally, but am tempted to get that omnibus anyway.

I guess we'll never know what really happened behind the scenes, but credit where it's due - good for Marvel for letting Fraction/Aja see it through instead of handing it off to a fill-in writer/artist to wrap it up. Again, it was completely worth the wait.

Fraction sent this out with his newsletter yesterday. Worth a read:

g'night clint

They asked me to write something for the last issue I wrote of HAWKEYE and I declined (Politely, I hope). I'm not a big fan of valedictories I guess. Sana’s written a lovely note on the last page of the issue that covers anything I’d have said well, anyway, but I just bought my dad the last issue (it's okay, i know a guy who knows a guy) and I'm feeling sentimental and want to level out by feeling some deep gratitude:

David, my Bewlay Brother in arms. For always trumping my crazy with your crazy. For never letting “good” be ‘good enough.’ I don’t know what language we speak but I know we are the only ones who speak it. Thank you.

Annie. Captain Fabulous. We needed a ray of sunshine and you brought it bigger and brighter and better and better. We handed you a thankless task and you busted the goddamn mold. It was over too soon. I’d write for you forever. The best faces. The best. THE BEST. Thank you.

Javi. For your perfectionism, clarity of vision, and fearless confidence in your voice. You were unafraid to add on top of our harmony and push and pull in new, amazing, delightful directions. You also drew Chibi Kates all over the dang place. Thank you.

Francesco. I handed you two of the darkest things I’d ever written, time-fractured and decentralized of place. I gave you new characters on every page and new locations, I gave you abuse and terror and violence to draw — and you did more than just draw it. For a minute there it was all yours. Thank you.

Steve and Jesse. For the best Thanksgiving gift ever. Thank you.

Matt. Once again the binding polymer tying an entire world together. For not even blinking when I sent you pictures titled “this is how a dog sees.” For making me look at every single issue once it came out — a thing I hate more than anything! — because my screen is never calibrated as well as yours and you can’t really see your work until you see your work. Thank you.

Leah and Rachel.

http://i.imgur.com/2x4Ccgh.gif

Jeff and Ramón -- for keeping the kids in your marvelous hands. I'm sorry we've screwed with your time on stage. I cannot tell you how eager I am to be just a HAWKEYE fan again, and how excited your book makes me. Thank you.

Gerry, Matteo, and Jacopo -- you did us better than we did us. AND you did it in spite of Gerry's chemical castration and endless legal problems. Amazing. Hilarious. Thank you.

Sana, Devin, Steve, everyone in-between. What thankless tasks YOU all had. And how graceful and good you all were in executing. Thank you.

Axel, Joe, and Dan, for letting us do it. That's rarified air and don't think we don't realize that. You had every right to break up the band and you didn't. Thank you.

Everyone at WeLoveFine. I have never been so happy to give away so much money. SO much money. Jesus ****. Thank you for helping us help Futures Without Violence. Thank you for listening to what our folks wanted.

And to all of you lovely purple weirdos that read it, obsessed over it, dressed up, hung out, made stuff, made noise, got ink, got brave, evangelized and prosthelytized, to all of you you that literally did it all and bought the t-shirts — THANK YOU. I owe you one.

Speaking of —

A fabulous Kate cosplayer was present at San Diego to present Kelly Sue with the Spike TV “Gamechanger of the Year” award. Who are you? WHERE are you? You were amazing, and looked amazing, and I’d like to sign silly things and send them to you. REACH OUT TO US PLEASE. HELP US FIND YOU.

Also, Spike talked to some readers, too, who all said lovely and wonderful and genuinely touching stuff about Kel and I. Are you on this list? Reach out — again, we’d like to say thanks. And send you ****.

Okay. Well — well that’s that. I hope you dig it. If not? Jeff and Ramón have your back, trust me.

m

Co-host of Ultimate Spin - the Spider-Fan podcast for Miles Morales and Spider-Gwen!
    And check out our in-depth podcast interviews with their creators!

small press afficionado matt levin's Avatar

LCS got short-shipped--haven't got my copy of #22 yet,but so glad to hear it was such a great ending. will add my huzzahs next week when my LCS had better come through!
    Age/Bronze, Age/Reptiles, Alex&Ada, Anne Bonnie, Astro City, Bone, Briggs Land, Cerebus, Criminal, Courtney Crumrin, Eleanor & the Egret, Fables, Fatale, Fell, Grass Kings, Green Valley, Goon, Gotham Midnight, Groo, Hellboy, Hillbilly, Incognegro, Jack Staff, JL8, Jonah Hex, Kane, Lazarus, Little Nemo, Lone Wolf, Next Wave, Popeye, Powers, Princess Ugg, Resident Alien, SiP, Squirrel Girl, Stray Bullets, 10G, Thief of Thieves, Tuki, Uncle Scrooge, Usagi, Velvet