Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Default Martha Kent's words in the Trailer

So apparently the words a a spoke on the trailer are causing a bit of controversy. Honestly I think she is right. What about you guys?

I don't understand why there would be any controversy. All she's saying is that the Clark can be a number of things to people or none of them but it really should be his choice. Maybe she should have said that last part but I felt it was strongly implied that was what she meant. He as a person really doesn't owe the world anything. He had no choice in coming to Earth. It's his home and the only home he's known just like everyone else on the planet. He's not obligated to use his powers to be the world's protector. He, Superman, should choose to use his powers for good but not be forced or feel like he's trapped in doing so. That's how I took what she said the very first time I saw the trailer and I still feel that way. It makes sense in general and it makes sense from a parent to a child who wants their child to be free to make their own choices and not be forced to do anything.

I have heard that some people were upset but I've not seen what they've been saying or why they're upset.
    Last edited by NeoStar9X; 07-16-2015 at 07:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by NeoStar9X View Post
    I don't understand why there would be any controversy. All she's saying is that the Clark can be a number of things to people or none of them but it really should be his choice. Maybe she should have said that last part but it felt it was strongly implied that she meant. He as a person really doesn't owe the world anything. He had no choice in coming to Earth. It's his home and the only home he's known just like everyone else on the planet. He's not obligated to use his powers to be the world's protector. He, Superman, should choose to use his powers for good but not be forced or feel like he's trapped in doing so. That's how I took what she said the very first time I saw the trailer and I still feel that way. It makes sense in general and it makes sense from a parent to a child who wants their child to be free to make their own choices and not be forced to do anything.

I have heard that some people were upset but I've not seen what they've been saying or why they're upset.
    QFT.

She's telling him to make the choice - the fact that he makes the choice to help people is admirable.
    DC Extended Universe Thread (DCEU)

That's how it starts. The fever. The rage. The feeling of powerlessness. That turns good men....Cruel - Alfred.

This may be the only thing that I do that matters - Bruce.

Stay down, if I wanted it, you would be dead already - Clark.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Given Jonathon's attitude in the first movie, is this really that much of a surprise? He was willing to let a busload of kids drown. I think this entire universe is worthless and needs to be rebooted. This is Superman as seen through the eyes of Batman fans. It's just cynical and selfish.

Astonishing Member Godzilla2099's Avatar

I had absolutely no problem with Martha Kent's Line. She's telling Clark that he isn't obligated to do anything. As a mother, its natural to see her angry with the treatment of her son.

Jonathan Kent's Lines from the first movie on the other hand was by FAR the biggest problem I had. Being ok with a school bus full of kids dying? That is something Jonathan Kent would never say.
    Last edited by Godzilla2099; 07-16-2015 at 08:51 PM.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

It's taking a different stand than the Donner films. In those flicks Clark was destined to be Superman and had to do it, in these films it is a choice he makes. I think that is a much stronger foundation. He steps up and becomes the man the world needs. She's telling him, as a mother, that he shouldn't feel like he HAS to do it but that he should do it because he wants to.

Fantastic Member AwesomeUsername's Avatar

Controversial? Really? People will find just about any excuse to hate on the movie (already) eh? Ma Kent's words couldn't be more true here. He doesn't owe anyone a thing. He does what he does out of the goodness of his heart and that's Superman. He's not a pre-programmed machine that's required to do all these things. Man, I hate the internet sometimes..

Astonishing Member Dispenser Of Truth's Avatar

The fact that Clark's mother is indicating that, since he in theory doesn't personally 'owe' anyone, he doesn't really have a moral obligation to help unless he happens to feel like doing it, says a hell of a lot about Goyer's viewpoint here. I guess Pa's "One day" hasn't come yet after all in her view.

Man, they could have changed it to "it's your life, you have a choice" or something and have it be completely innocuous - maybe a little selfish, but hey, she wants her kid to be happy - but they had to keep it as Superman's mom saying the only time you HAVE to help people is when you owe them to court controversy, in a scene that's probably presented in a way to seem more shocking than it really is (then again, we all thought that with Jonathan Kent, and nope, he totally told Clark that he maybe should have let a bus full of children drown in the name of looking out for himself. So who knows). No wonder Goyer said he was a fan of Earth One. It's all a shame, because other than that and the ridiculous lines they gave poor Jesse Eisenberg, I actually really liked this trailer.
    Buh-bye

She is right. Superman doesn't have any moral obligation to help the Earth. That's not why he should protect the world. He should do it because its what he wans to do in his heart. That's all she's getting at. Might there be some slight scathing there in the fact that after saving the world, her boy is being blamed for the destruction caused by the very villain Superman saved the world from? Perhaps. And that's completely understandable too. A mother can be very protective like that. But the main point she's getting across is to do what he wants to do in his heart.

Where is the controversy though? I sure haven't seen any uproar over this.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 07-16-2015 at 10:40 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Apparently there are some people (who probably don't know sh@t about Supes) who are saying that Superman owes everything to the Earth. He really doesn't. It's not his fault that he was sent here. I'm starting to see more of space Jesus here with them trying to crucify him.

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    She is right. Superman doesn't have any moral obligation to help the Earth. That's not why he should protect the world. He should do it because its what he wans to do in his heart. That's all she's getting at. Might there be some slight scathing there in the fact that after saving the world, her boy is being blamed for the destruction caused by the very villain Superman saved the world from? Perhaps. And that's completely understandable too. A mother can be very protective like that. But the main point she's getting across is to do what he wants to do in his heart.

Where is the controversy though? I sure haven't seen any uproar over this.
    Other comicbook sites and *sigh* Tumblr.

BANNED

Yeah I was amazed people were kicking up a controversy, but well, people are dumb. It's pretty obvious to anyone that it just means he's doing it because he wants to do it, not because he's obliged to.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    Given Jonathon's attitude in the first movie, is this really that much of a surprise? He was willing to let a busload of kids drown. I think this entire universe is worthless and needs to be rebooted. This is Superman as seen through the eyes of Batman fans. It's just cynical and selfish.
    Dearie me....

Astonishing Member Godzilla2099's Avatar

I honestly agree with Martha

- Superman sacrificed his chance to bring Krypton back to save the earth
    - Went against his own kind to do it
    - Came out of hiding to defend the earth

And now look at the 'thanks' he's getting.

Martha is right. He owes them nothing

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Godzilla2099 View Post
    I honestly agree with Martha

- Superman sacrificed his chance to bring Krypton back to save the earth
    - Went against his own kind to do it
    - Came out of hiding to defend the earth

And now look at the 'thanks' he's getting.

Martha is right. He owes them nothing
    Seriously. Half the world is treating her son like an abomination. And out world totally sucks anyway, watch the news. I don't blame her for taking a bit of a "screw these people, do what you feel is right, but don't feel obligated to people who are treating you like crap" stance. It's what any mother would say.

And Jonathan Kent wasn't ok with letting kids drown. God, an extremely half assed and hesitant "maybe" that was proven wrong when he sacrificed himself to save the family dog doesn't translate to "let all the little bastards drown."