Default Did anyone see The Death of Superman Lives documentary?

Just wanted to know people's thoughts on it if they had seen it. Didn't see another thread discussing it.

Incredible Member

I can't WAIT to see it. I've been anticipating it for some, so I'm waiting on the fully decked out bluray to get to me.

I watched it. I've greatly anticipated the release since it's announcement. It was well worth the wait. A fantastic relic of an almost entry in the DC movie pantheon. Makes me even more excited to see the Doc on Miller's aborted Justice League.

Hell, I want Docs on every DC film that never got made. The originally planned Batman vs Superman from Wolfgang Petersen. Superman: Flyby from McG/Abrams/Ratner. Batman: Year One from Miller/Aronofsky. Batman Triumphant from Schumacher. Possibly even Burton's initial plans for a third Batman film. And wasn't there almost a 5th Reeve Superman film before his accident? And the originally planned Batman for the early 80's starring Bill Murray and written by Tom Mankiewicz?! The list is endless. Hopefully this Doc is well-received and successful and Schnepp is able to get even more access to the DC archives to pump out more of these types of films.

Spadassin Extraordinaire Auguste Dupin's Avatar

It was pretty interesting. Truth be told, as I was watching it, I started to think: "Man, I kinda wish they actually made that movie". I mean, the visuals, man, it was so creatively weird. And the 2nd script by Burton's guy felt like it had some pretty interesting and ambitious ideas (the 3rd one started to feel like it jumped the shark). I mean, yeah, it still could have been a failure, but at least it would have been an interesting failure, not like Superman Returns.
    Hold those chains, Clark Kent
    Bear the weight on your shoulders
    Stand firm. Take the pain.

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Auguste Dupin View Post
    It was pretty interesting. Truth be told, as I was watching it, I started to think: "Man, I kinda wish they actually made that movie". I mean, the visuals, man, it was so creatively weird. And the 2nd script by Burton's guy felt like it had some pretty interesting and ambitious ideas (the 3rd one started to feel like it jumped the shark). I mean, yeah, it still could have been a failure, but at least it would have been an interesting failure, not like Superman Returns.
    I'm almost inclined to agree with you, except that say, had SUPERMAN LIVES failed not at SUPERMAN RETURNS levels,but BATMAN AND ROBIN levels, well that would have been two back to back failures, and the landscape for Superhero/comic based films would look a LOT different than it does now.Of course, IF it had been successfull...well, again, everything changes. Although odds were it would have been the former and not the later, given what we know now.

I'm pretty much happy with how things turned out.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by MykeHavoc View Post
    I watched it. I've greatly anticipated the release since it's announcement. It was well worth the wait. A fantastic relic of an almost entry in the DC movie pantheon. Makes me even more excited to see the Doc on Miller's aborted Justice League.

Hell, I want Docs on every DC film that never got made. The originally planned Batman vs Superman from Wolfgang Petersen. Superman: Flyby from McG/Abrams/Ratner. Batman: Year One from Miller/Aronofsky. Batman Triumphant from Schumacher. Possibly even Burton's initial plans for a third Batman film. And wasn't there almost a 5th Reeve Superman film before his accident? And the originally planned Batman for the early 80's starring Bill Murray and written by Tom Mankiewicz?! The list is endless. Hopefully this Doc is well-received and successful and Schnepp is able to get even more access to the DC archives to pump out more of these types of films.
    Me too. I'm very glad the Justice League: Mortal doc is coming.

Quote Originally Posted by PapaShogun View Post
    Just wanted to know people's thoughts on it if they had seen it. Didn't see another thread discussing it.

There actually is already one, still ongoing:

http://community.comicbookresources....-What-Happened

Maybe merge the duplicate threads, mods?

Quote Originally Posted by Auguste Dupin View Post
    Those two scripts were really weird. In the documentary both Strick and Gilroy talk about how their versions would have been these deep, subversive takes on Superman and Clark Kent as characters, but reading them they feel a lot campier than most of the stuff in Kevin Smith's Peters-ized script.