Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Default What Sport Would You Play?

If you were back in your teens and were freakishly talented at sports, I mean, talented on the level of say, Lebron, Sidney Crosby, Mike Trout or Peyton Manning, what sport would you choose to play? Me? I'd opt for baseball, my all-time favorite, I'd have a long, successful career as a slick fielding third baseman like my heroes Mike Schmidt and Brooks Robinson, become a bonafide superstar, and my induction into Cooperstown would lead to a second career in broadcasting, either as an in-studio analyst or doing color during games on ESPN or MLB Network. What about you? What's your sport and why?
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Fencing.

I did take it up briefly in high school but if I had a do over, I'd take it up more diligently.
    It's challenging, it takes skill, it's physically demanding, it's fiercely competitive and it's fun.
    Then probably transition into a career as a sword-choreographer/stunt double for TV and Movies.

Probably golf. I used to play every week, back in my teens. It's not quite as likely to destroy your body, you don't age out, and it's still relatively lucrative. As an optional later-career path, there's also golf-course design. Plus, who doesn't like spoiling a nice walk?

It's been fun. Toodles. Paradox's Avatar

I got a start on being a hockey goalie in high school, but typical of all things with me, I didn't want to put forth the effort to get good, and later ended up selling my equipment cheap in hard money times. In my thirties, I regretted that, and had an itch to try again, but that stuff's expensive and I didn't have the money for it.
    'Dox out.

"It’s cold and it’s mean-spirited and I don’t like it here anymore." - Alan Moore

"Can it, you nit!" - Violet Beauregard

"And Paradox is never correct. About anything."- Kid Omega

The Conclave group page on Primus (a work in progress)
    Champions: The Conclave (an updating Facebook Gallery)
    Decorum & Friends (A City of Heroes archive)

BANNED

Quidditch, of course.

Astonishing Member WillieMorgan's Avatar

Association football, or soccer as it's called in other parts of the world, definitely. The rewards on offer for even moderately talented footballers really are off the scale. Even halfway-decent top division players can end their careers as multi-millionaires.

Many British footballers (although certainly not all) don't seem to have any genuine idea how spoilt and pampered their lives are. Certainly one prominent English defender from recent years would have been asking people if they wanted 'extra fries with that' if he hadn't been blessed with the ability that he has.

I did play for my secondary school but never had the inclination/ability to go any further in life with it.

It's not my favorite sport in general, but i'd honestly say Golf. PGA courses have some of the most beautiful views and amenities. Also, unlike most pro sports, you play to get paid rather than get paid to play. You can pick and choose which tournaments you want to attend once you get to a certain level. I've just always thought that sounded like the life.

D*mned Prince of Gotham JasonTodd428's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jeanvaljean View Post
    Quidditch, of course.
    This one!

In all seriousness though I'd take up Fencing again. I took it up in high school and college as good way to keep in shape but never took it overly seriously though I was quite good at it back then.
    Supporting LION FORGE COMICS and other independent publishers.

Check out Lion Forge's Catalyst Prime Universe. Its the best damned superhero verse in comics. Diverse characters and interesting stories set in a universe where anyone can be a hero. And company that prides itself on representation both in the comics themselves and in the people behind them.

Oh my goodness gracious! I've been bamboozled!

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change. AVATAR AANG

Basketball.
    TRUTH, JUSTICE, HOPE
    That is, the heritage of the Kryptonian Warrior: Kal-El, son of Jor-El
    You like Gameboy and NDS? - My channel
    Looks like I'll have to move past gameplay footage

Astonishing Member FanboyStranger's Avatar

Basketball. It's always been my favorite sport to play, even though I'm not very good at it.

Quote Originally Posted by WillieMorgan View Post
    Association football, or soccer as it's called in other parts of the world, definitely. The rewards on offer for even moderately talented footballers really are off the scale. Even halfway-decent top division players can end their careers as multi-millionaires.

Many British footballers (although certainly not all) don't seem to have any genuine idea how spoilt and pampered their lives are. Certainly one prominent English defender from recent years would have been asking people if they wanted 'extra fries with that' if he hadn't been blessed with the ability that he has.

I did play for my secondary school but never had the inclination/ability to go any further in life with it.
    football is my thing too.

i think NBA players are paid higher IMO
    which defender are you talking about? haha
    What we used to call life has very little worth these days. Welcome to the very edge.
    --Prince Namor (Earth-616)

Extraordinary Member John Ossie's Avatar

Football is my thing too.

If I HAD to choose another sport however than I was ok at Javelin back in the day (much better at that than football if I'm honest) so I'd go for that.

BANNED

Curling.

It looks like a sport i'd be into.

BANNED

I kinda exceled on baseball, soccer, badminton and table tennis. I didn't try to learn basketball much because I find it way common and that height matters so it's a disadvantage for shorter people like me but when I play, friends tell me I have the potential.

I have played tennis too and I love playing it so I'd go for Tennis.

Ideally, NFL Linebacker or even Defensive end. Preferably pass rusher. I'm 6' 240 and even then I'd be on the small end on some rosters. The toll on the body in the NFL is just too much. My first love was baseball though. I liked the outfield and I'd like to rake for power. That's were the longevity is the best.
    Beefing up the old home security, huh?
    You bet yer ass.