Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default Shooter Found Guilty in "Dark Knight Rises" Movie Theater Murders

James Holmes has been found guilty of 165 charges, including 24 counts of first-degree murder.

Full article here.

Fantastic Member

Boy! I think that this is fundamentally wrong. I can think of no other country in the world - at least not in the advanced, industrialized world -where someone who is clearly mentally ill can be held guilty for actions taken when he was mentally ill. The fact that the victims' families are actually gratified by the fact that a sick man is going to be put to death underlines how far Americans have to go in understanding exactly what "mentally ill" means.

Fantastic Member

The theater shootings being a death penalty case isn't surprising. Even if the body count was at one, prosecutors tend to lean towards death penalty cases on stranger on random stranger murder.

Never mind.
    Last edited by Darth Board; 07-17-2015 at 07:35 AM.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by ShaunN View Post
    Boy! I think that this is fundamentally wrong. I can think of no other country in the world - at least not in the advanced, industrialized world -where someone who is clearly mentally ill can be held guilty for actions taken when he was mentally ill. The fact that the victims' families are actually gratified by the fact that a sick man is going to be put to death underlines how far Americans have to go in understanding exactly what "mentally ill" means.
    "Defense attorneys presented the jury with the argument that Holmes was innocent due to being insane at the time of the shooting; the jury rejected that claim, finding Holmes guilty on all charges."

Sorry but what you and the defense attorney are saying baffles me. The insanity plea is thrown around far too often so people can get off, spend a whole lot of time in an institution and then claim they are fine. He was "insane" only during the shooting but he is okay now? Spare the bull crap. He murdered people and he deserves his punishment. Mod me if you want, but he is a criminal and needs his punishment.

This may or may not be controversial but...I hope the homicidal maniac gets the death penalty.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

I liked this line by Holmes' defense attorney:

"The evidence is clear that he could not control his thoughts. He could not control his actions, and he could not control his perceptions."
    So, that scumbag "could not control" wearing a gas mask, gloves and protective gear, not to mention entering through a door he had propped open earlier in the day. I don't know about you, boys and girls, but I call that premeditation. I don't buy any crap about Holmes being insane, and, more importantly, neither did the jury. As for sentencing, whether he gets death or life without parole, the bottom line is the only way he leaves prison is in a box. And that's good enough for me.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Wow. I think you're going to be in the VERY minority with that opinion in this case. Good luck with that.

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    So, that scumbag "could not control" wearing a gas mask, gloves and protective gear, not to mention entering through a door he had propped open earlier in the day. I don't know about you, boys and girls, but I call that premeditation. I don't buy any crap about Holmes being insane, and, more importantly, neither did the jury. As for sentencing, whether he gets death or life without parole, the bottom line is the only way he leaves prison is in a box. And that's good enough for me.
    Don't forget his notebook, he was of sound mind enough to send to the psychiatrist at his college, that detailed his plans on how he was going to do it and why.

Clearly he didn't know what he was doing was wrong and against the law.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

I hope you didn't type all this with a straight face.

This in a nutshell.

D*mned Prince of Gotham JasonTodd428's Avatar

Right because no lawyer ever cops an insanity plea for their client in an effort to get them off with a slap on the wrist. I've never, ever seen that happen! Give me a break! It was the premeditated murder of innocent people. He had enough of a mind to plan it out and to then go through with it. He knew exactly what he was doing and frankly he deserves to be punished for his crimes not patted on the head like a good little boy who made a little mistake and told how misunderstood he is. I hope he's punished under the full extent of the law myself.
    Last edited by JasonTodd428; 07-17-2015 at 10:03 AM.
    Supporting LION FORGE COMICS and other independent publishers.

Check out Lion Forge's Catalyst Prime Universe. Its the best damned superhero verse in comics. Diverse characters and interesting stories set in a universe where anyone can be a hero. And company that prides itself on representation both in the comics themselves and in the people behind them.

Oh my goodness gracious! I've been bamboozled!

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change. AVATAR AANG

Don't forget leaving a bomb in his home designed to pull first responders away from the theater

BANNED

just speaking on the mental illness issue

when this **** happens, at least when the perp is white, we're told we can't discuss gun control because it's clear the perp has mental health issues, but then some of the very same people will turn around and dismiss the very thing they used to shut down the gun control debate. i find it funny.

i know it's wishful thinking that maybe they will stop automatically blaming mental health as an easy way out of discussing why this happens so many times

Quote Originally Posted by 7thangel View Post
    just speaking on the mental illness issue

when this **** happens, at least when the perp is white, we're told we can't discuss gun control because it's clear the perp has mental health issues, but then some of the very same people will turn around and dismiss the very thing they used to shut down the gun control debate. i find it funny.

i know it's wishful thinking that maybe they will stop automatically blaming mental health as an easy way out of discussing why this happens so many times
    Who needs mental health to shut down gun control. The second amendment does that