Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by Overhazard View Post
    Well, if you don't consider Vertigo DC (it's a DC imprint, some people think it's indie, and some people don't) Then I highly recommend Astro City, kurt busiek kills it every single time.

I also recommend archie/red circle's the fox. I know it's an archie book, but it's pretty interesting. Paul Patton jr. is the superhero I want marvel to let Peter Parker become. He's fun, clever, resourceful, all while having a wife and two children. It's just a 5 issue miniseries. I recommend getting the digital version on comixology I don't know why archie is futzing around pushing back the release date for the trade. It was supposed to come out in may, then june, now amazon says july.

There's also archie's new crusaders. It's about a group of teenage superheroes who learn how to master their powers, these kids are the children of the mighty crusaders, archie's version of the justice league/avengers. It's a great book. It's like teen titans without all the angst. I really like it too. That trade has been released, and a sort of sequel, New Crusaders legacy, is out now too.
    I second the Red Circle Fox and New Crusaders. Word is that when the next New Crusaders series starts soon, it'll be a bit more darker but it pick up from both of the other titles.

Paul Pope's 'Battling Boy' a blast.

Here's a thread and description.
    http://community.comicbookresources....ciation-Thread

Thanks for starting this topic BTW. I've found a bunch of new interesting sounding titles to check out.
    “The reason of the unreasonableness which against my reason is wrought, doth so weaken my reason, as with all reason I do justly complain on your beauty.”
    ― Miguel de Cervantes Don Quixote

Quote Originally Posted by Choos View Post
    Think all the fun of early day Spider-Man with less cheese, more bling and supernatural nasties all existing in a Superhero infested world.
    I really wanted to like Kirkman's Astounding Wolf-Man, especially since it strives to be a kind of loving pastiche of superheroes and supernaturals, but I just couldn't quite sink my teeth into it. Not that I wouldn't suggest trying it out, but I never thought it ever really clicked into place.

That said, @Legato, if you'd be interested in an intelligent, layered semi-deconstruction of superheroes—with lots of surprises but less whimsy than many superhero titles—I'd highly recommend Mike Carey's Suicide Risk out of BOOM! Comics. It's far more sci-fi than most superhero titles, especially in the last handful of issues, but it's seriously interested in the social and psychological toll of "super-" anythings without being preachy about it.

Also check out Black Beetle by Francesco Francavilla, released by Dark Horse.

It has a definite pulp / early Batman feel to it . . . there's been one mini-series that's been collected, and another one is due to start probably this summer. (Late June or late July are the most recent dates I've seen?)

Quote Originally Posted by Legato View Post
    Out of curiosity, what kind of heavy stuff?
    It's a very dark book with a lot of violence and deals with things like child molesting.

Oh yeah, I also recommend dark horse's empowered by adam warren. If you don't his manga-ish art style, it's a very interesting book. It's a parody of superhero comics, but it does have elements of drama and horror as well.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond View Post
    It's a very dark book with a lot of violence and deals with things like child molesting.
    As long as it has a good story and isn't dark for the sake of dark then I'm so in.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Overhazard View Post
    Oh yeah, I also recommend dark horse's empowered by adam warren. If you don't his manga-ish art style, it's a very interesting book. It's a parody of superhero comics, but it does have elements of drama and horror as well.
    I've heard some good things about that.

forging evil plans victorxd1999's Avatar

Try everything Valiant! It's almost all awesome. Invincible is never a bad choice though
    "You don't ever quit. Not even to your last drop of blood. You got folks relyin' on you then you just can't afford to." Sean Noonan-Hitman #47

As long as it has a good story and isn't dark for the sake of dark then I'm so in.
    Give it a try, then. Sometimes it's dark for the sake of being dark, but this darkness and sheer brutality is part of the book's appeal because the author excels in transmitting it.

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

I'll add my echo Legato for the following:

VALIANT: XO, Harbinger, Bloodshot, Archer & Armstrong, UNITY, Rai
    Dark Horse: X, Ghost, Captain Midnight
    Dynamite: Solar, Magnus....their Project Super Powers stuff has been fun and is due for a relaunch under Warren Ellis but after the stunt he pulled with Moon Knight and pulling out early from a mere 12 ish commitment I'm not as eager for his PSP now.
    IDW: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turles, hands down month in/out one of the best saga's going
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Craig View Post
    I'll add my echo Legato for the following:

VALIANT: XO, Harbinger, Bloodshot, Archer & Armstrong, UNITY, Rai
    Dark Horse: X, Ghost, Captain Midnight
    Dynamite: Solar, Magnus....their Project Super Powers stuff has been fun and is due for a relaunch under Warren Ellis but after the stunt he pulled with Moon Knight and pulling out early from a mere 12 ish commitment I'm not as eager for his PSP now.
    IDW: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turles, hands down month in/out one of the best saga's going
    I feel ya. Still I'd read almost anything written by Ellis so I just might check out his PSP stuff. Along with the other recommendations.

I'm liking how Dark Horse is coming along with their superhero stuff and Valiant has definitely been getting a rep as of late.

Fantastic Member Brave Sir Robin's Avatar

I don't read many superhero books but some I have read really appeal to me.

Quantum and Woody is very funny. Archer and Armstrong is funny as well but the characters and their relationship carry it.
    Then there is X. It is not funny. It is violent, brutal and visceral. It is awsome.

forging evil plans victorxd1999's Avatar

I feel ya. Still I'd read almost anything written by Ellis so I just might check out his PSP stuff. Along with the other recommendations.

I'm liking how Dark Horse is coming along with their superhero stuff and Valiant has definitely been getting a rep as of late.
    The new Valiant is amazing! Almost every title just got a deluxe hardcover collecting the first 14 issues or so, definitely try them, they're great (especially Harbinger and Archer & Armstrong
    "You don't ever quit. Not even to your last drop of blood. You got folks relyin' on you then you just can't afford to." Sean Noonan-Hitman #47