Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default Grant Morrison Weighs In On "Batman v Superman's" Wonder Woman

The writer says he understands why Zack Snyder's take on the icon is so aggressive, but it's "not what William Marston wanted."

Full article here.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

When I saw the trailer I was thinking, "why is she here?"

Also I hope Morrison was messing with us when he mentioned "vagina-shaped invisible jet".

Incredible Member

He had me at vagina plane.

Morrison can be kind of hit or miss for me, but I want this to be a hit so much.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    Also I hope Morrison was messing with us when he mentioned "vagina-shaped invisible jet".
    It was pretty funny. I like Morrison's general ideas--especially writing a Wonder Woman without fights, to try a version of Marston's idea that's less compromised even than Marston's own version--but I wonder if a plane with "a little clitoris hood" is really any woman's idea of "female-based design"? I might be wrong, but it sounds more like something that might have appeared in "All-Girl Adventure Stories for Men" (Azz's joke title in issue 0).

Spectacular Member

When I saw the trailer I was thinking, "why is she here?"

Maybe because she's not popular, they have to introduce her to the audience before her solo film.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

He determined that she's aggressive from a second of footage of her fighting? Not a fair judgment.

Spectacular Member

I don't find Zack's WW too aggressive. She seems smart to me.
    Morrison's idea is very interesting for a solo book, he wants his WW not to fight at all, It's fine.
    But in a team book/film, she has to show some strenth to get some spotlight.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Pandering and putting down other products to promote himself. He's a smart guy so it's not that he says this stuff without a point, but he's not necessarily as different from others in the creative entertainment world as he'd like to sell you on.

I hope Morrison was messing with us when he mentioned "vagina-shaped invisible jet".
    http://i.imgur.com/dLcwyIl.jpg?1

I think a better image has been posted elsewhere, but the one above has the invisible plane up in the corner and ... well, just compare against some anatomical drawings of the female reproductive system.

Quote Originally Posted by anarki View Post
    Maybe because she's not popular, they have to introduce her to the audience before her solo film.
    She's one of the most popular and well-known superheroes in the world. People the world over are familiar with her from the Lynda Carter TV show (which didn't just disappear in 1979 but has been shown in syndication ever since), the Super Friends, and the Bruce Timm Justice League. WW imagery has been invoked in TV, comedy, etc. ever since.

I guarantee you more people know WW than Deadpool, Psylocke, Green Lantern, Nightwing, Starfire, Cyborg, Constantine, blah blah blah .... You can't confuse what's popular in the comics world with what's known outside of it. Wonder Woman is an icon.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    He determined that she's aggressive from a second of footage of her fighting? Not a fair judgment.
    That's totally fair. It might be proven wrong, but I think it's a reasonable assumption.

Hell, most WW fans knew Azzarello was going to destroy the made-from-clay origin just from the cover.

Grant, I love you.

I'm looking forward to his interpretation. Not every conflict of interest has to culminate in a typical adventure battle scene. I don't buy into the false myth that women are above all that, but it would be nice if there are more WW stories that treat her as a diplomat and cultural/sociological engineer first, and fighter/Goddess of War later.

edit: Unfortunately, an aggressive WW is exactly what audiences expect on the big screen. Anything less invites accusations of weak-woman tropology or downright antipathy. Those are the rules set forth in the superhero movie genre, and there's little wiggle room until she gets her own film.
    Last edited by superfictious; 07-17-2015 at 07:28 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by superfictious View Post
    Grant, I love you.

I'm looking forward to his interpretation. Not every conflict of interest has to culminate in a typical adventure battle scene. I don't buy into the false myth that women are above all that, but it would be nice if there are more WW stories that treat her as a diplomat and cultural/sociological engineer first, and fighter/Goddess of War last.
    To be a Diplomat she would have to bring the amazons to modern civilization and start their. She does not get to preach to other people before taking care of her homefront first. And she Really shouldn't be obligated to being a Diplomat either only be a level head like she is now in most her books that like adventure and protecting people.

Why would he be joking?

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    I think he's been following her in the comics as well and definitely (fairly) sees the same imagery being presented. Wonder Woman with a sword and shield (why, when she's mostly invulnerable and has super strength?). Wonder Woman who encompasses great love and compassion playing second fiddle to Wonder Woman who glorifies fighting.

And though this obviously isn't in the movie literally, Wonder Woman as God of War instead of Wonder Woman fighting the god of war Mars on behalf of humanity and her patron, the goddess of love. I loved the Azzarello run but come on. That needs to be resolved.

I honestly can't believe how much of a turn around my feelings have made on this project since it was announced preNu52. I loved Morrison's work but I was initially very concerned due to some of his comments about not really knowing what to do with Wonder Woman, which showed in his JLA and Final Crisis. I've got to say though, my extreme eye rolling over the vaginal invisible jet aside, the man seems to have done his research. I just hope it doesn't cross the line into complete parody.

Quote Originally Posted by Vaffrey View Post
    http://i.imgur.com/dLcwyIl.jpg?1
    That's totally fair. It might be proven wrong, but I think it's a reasonable assumption.

Hell, most WW fans knew Azzarello was going to destroy the made-from-clay origin just from the cover.
    Her taking part in action-y scenes in really quick snippets from the trailer is far less telling than a cover featuring a shattered clay statue and an accompanying solciit that basically screamed "the origin is being changed" at the top of its lungs.

Morrison had her partake in several action scenes in JLA, but I wouldn't describe her as overly aggressive there. Same could be true here, especially in light of Gadot's comments about Diana's "emotional intelligence."

Quote Originally Posted by RedComet View Post
    I think he's been following her in the comics as well and definitely (fairly) sees the same imagery being presented. Wonder Woman with a sword and shield (why, when she's mostly invulnerable and has super strength?). Wonder Woman who encompasses great love and compassion playing second fiddle to Wonder Woman who glorifies fighting.

And though this obviously isn't in the movie literally, Wonder Woman as God of War instead of Wonder Woman fighting the god of war Mars on behalf of humanity and her patron, the goddess of love. I loved the Azzarello run but come on. That needs to be resolved.

I honestly can't believe how much of a turn around my feelings have made on this project since it was announced preNu52. I loved Morrison's work but I was initially very concerned due to some of his comments about not really knowing what to do with Wonder Woman, which showed in his JLA and Final Crisis. I've got to say though, my extreme eye rolling over the vaginal invisible jet aside, the man seems to have done his research. I just hope it doesn't cross the line into complete parody.
    I really agree with being excited about his new take, and I agree with him for the most part that seeing her being overly aggressive goes against what Marston envisioned. But I think her having an aggressive attitude, like in the early New 52 JL comics, is far worse than her being a disciplined warrior who occasionally carries those weapons around but is smart enough to fine alternative means when necessary (Azzarello's, Perez, hopefully Gadot's version).

And really, until the book is released and can be judged fairly, Morrison probably shouldn't throw stones at other people's interpretations of the character. None of the above mentioned creators, even Johns, wrote her role in Final Crisis.