Page 1 of 26 1234511 ... LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default "Fantastic Four" May Live On-Screen, Disappear From Comics

CBR News has confirmed that Marvel may be without a "Fantastic Four" series in the near future, stemming from Fox's long-held movie rights.

Full article here.

BANNED

This is really all that needs be said.

On Tumblr, Marvel senior vice president of publishing Tom Brevoort responded to a fan inquiry on the issue, writing, "My denying rumors isn’t likely to keep anybody who’s prone to paranoia from panicking. But really, does this even seem remotely plausible to people? Does it make any sense? Folks have a very strange idea as to the way a business is run."

Astonishing Member Lady Warp Spasm's Avatar

I still don't quite buy the Fox films snub. Characters/teams have been unpublished for years at a time. Wait and see here.
    archer * magician *soldier * spy

This is messed up
    We need better comics

nakedmancomics

From my impression, the comic movies haven't significantly boosted comic sales. It seems to do more for toys and appeal than anything else. I could be wrong. It would be nice if there were something that advertised that the characters could be found in comics at local comic shops.

I'm with Tom on this one, logically the idea that they will cancel Fantastic Four and Ultimate FF(which are not even connected except by name and a few characters) because they don't have the movie rights is just utterly ridiculous and defies all amount of simple logic and business sense.

This is so...odd. It's weird, because I went for decades without much caring either way about the F4, and only recently with 'Marvel NOW' have I started following, and enjoying, them again.

I suppose there are years of back stories I can chase down though, it this comes to pass. :/
    Freedom is the ability to live without fear of persecution.

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    I'm with Tom on this one, logically the idea that they will cancel Fantastic Four and Ultimate FF(which are not even connected except by name and a few characters) because they don't have the movie rights is just utterly ridiculous and defies all amount of simple logic and business sense.
    My thoughts exactly. If Marvel wasn't above snuffing out books that they don't own the movie rights to, then why are X-Men comics still being made?

Didn't Tom Breevort recently say on Tumblr "stop reading Bleeding Cool."? Also, I'm pretty sure Marvel.com had promotion for Amazing Spider-man 2 and shared the trailers so they can't be that bothered about other studios making money off of their characters.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rozen View Post
    My thoughts exactly. If Marvel wasn't above snuffing out books that they don't own the movie rights to, then why are X-Men comics still being made?
    The article said it's because X-Men sales are too high to be cancelled but Marvel has stopped promoting them. Though I have to agree that cancelling F4 to spite Fox makes pretty much no sense at all.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dayle88 View Post
    Didn't Tom Breevort recently say on Tumblr "stop reading Bleeding Cool."? Also, I'm pretty sure Marvel.com had promotion for Amazing Spider-man 2 and shared the trailers so they can't be that bothered about other studios making money off of their characters.
    Well, it's advice he isn't taking.

Read the Bleeding Cool articles. It is not about Sony, their relationship is different to Fox. And it's not about cancelling X-books, but they are no longer having the kind of promotion they had in the days of Schism. It's about cancelling the lesser selling FF books, which is minimal cost to Marvel. And this is just the kind of move one might associate with Ike.

More on Bleeding Cool tomorrow. If Tom will let you read it.

Scarlet Witch~4~LIFE!!^_^ CJStriker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Alvarez View Post
    This is really all that needs be said.
    On Tumblr, Marvel senior vice president of publishing Tom Brevoort responded to a fan inquiry on the issue, writing, "My denying rumors isn’t likely to keep anybody who’s prone to paranoia from panicking. But really, does this even seem remotely plausible to people? Does it make any sense? Folks have a very strange idea as to the way a business is run."
    Yea, Pretty Much what Tom Brevoort Said, I don't take much stock in this at all. I Think this is just Bleeding Cool trying to make a story, fan the flames of the Studio Wars. Would not be the 1st time either I believe too.
    "By Earth and Sky, By Craft and Hex -- By The Past and The Future – I Call HOPE Forth From The DARKNESS! I Speak The Words We Made Into MAGIC! Let THEIR Power Augment Our OWN! To Strike ONE BLOW From Our HEARTS and SOULS – From ALL THAT WE ARE! Let The CALL Go Forth -- AVENGERS! ASSEMBLE!" Scarlet Witch/Wanda Maximoff ~~ From Avengers #689!

Come Join and Learn about Wanda Maximoff at: The Scarlet Witch Appreciation Thread 2023!

Extraordinary Member John Ossie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by UltimateTy View Post
    This is messed up
    Agreed. It's messed up that we even have to talk about it.

I've always wondered why Spider-man shows up everywhere even though he's owned by Sony, I always thought it was because he sold so much. Turns out it's because the Sony deal is different than the Fox deal.

Also, does this article confirm that the FF (616) on-going is gonna stop?
    Last edited by Viteh; 05-30-2014 at 05:57 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Johnston View Post
    Well, it's advice he isn't taking.

Read the Bleeding Cool articles. It is not about Sony, their relationship is different to Fox. And it's not about cancelling X-books, but they are no longer having the kind of promotion they had in the days of Schism. It's about cancelling the lesser selling FF books, which is minimal cost to Marvel. And this is just the kind of move one might associate with Ike.

More on Bleeding Cool tomorrow. If Tom will let you read it.
    What about BotA level promotions? That was an X-Men event without any Avengers that even got a mobile videogame.