Page 2 of 26 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiolino View Post
    What about BotA level promotions? That was an X-Men event without any Avengers that even got a mobile videogame.
    Or promoting the hell out of Death of Wolverine.
    Yeah, Rich's argument falls flat.

Fantastic Member

If this is true, then it's a ridiculous move by Marvel.

Historically, movies are not affected either way by comics sales (and sadly, the opposite is also true). Blade was a major success as a movie, and yet never managed to carry a comic and always remained sort of a peripheral character in the Marvel Universe. It's not like most moviegoers will even know that the FF comic book was cancelled. This will not have any effect in the movie at all.

Sounds like some bad joke. Now I'm picturing a guy that sold the rights for people to make a movie about his life and later regretted the decision. "Hey, since the movie will depict me as a married man, I will divorce my wife so that the movie will be incorrect!"

But I'm not confident in saying it is not true. It would not be the first time a businessman makes a ridiculous decision.

I'm seeing a lot of posts about BC, BC, BC, Rich, Rich, Rich, and nothing about how CBR seems to have confirmed it with their own anonymous insiders, giving the story some non-gossip site validity.

Funny, that.
    You are my favorite thing, Peter. My very favorite thing.

I agree with those saying this makes no sense. I have to think that the comics benefit from the movies far more than the movies benefit from the comics at this point. Marvel would be just turning down a boost in sales and money by not publishing FF. And regarding X-Men, um...Brian Michael Bendis writes All-New X-Men and Uncanny X-Men, doesn't he? Isn't Marvel advertising the hell out of the Death of Wolverine storyline? Why would their hottest writer and a massive storyline be on titles of characters that they don't care about or were looking to starve out? I agree that FF is a different property than X-Men, but it just doesn't seem logical.

Fantastic Member

As stated in other post there is such a disconnect between comic book movies and the comic books themselves this makes no business sense; however, what is of possible interest is how Robinson is deconstructing the FF. Now that could lead to a temporary halt to the FF series (and a relaunch). Brevpoort's comments really only addressed how it would not make sense based on the FF movie rumor (he did not out and out deny the series ending, only that the reason in the BC article makes no business sense).

I want to write some Fantastic Four comics.

Okay, lets say that Marvel is actually going to shelve the Fantastic Four and related characters due to Fox owning the intellectual property film rights. You couple this rumor with Marvel's earlier announcement about their "Time Runs Out" event, and the idea that Marvel maybe setting the stage for a Crisis-style reboot doesn't sound that crazy (something which Bleeding Cool also speculated last week). Which of course, if true, they won't actually call it a reboot. They'll call it a "restructuring" or "realignment" or some such.

Thing is, if Marvel is indeed going the reboot route with this, I wouldn't be least bit shocked if the newly restructured Marvel Universe contains all the characters Marvel Studios has the IP licenses for (plus Spider-Man since Sony gave Marvel back all the animation and merchandising rights in exchange for keeping the film rights) in order to have "synergy" with their cinematic universe, while all the X-Men comics essentially become an "imprint line" like Wildstorm and Vertigo were for DC prior to the New 52.
    Last edited by stillanerd; 05-30-2014 at 07:44 PM.
    --Mike McNulty, a.k.a. Stillanerd. Contributor for Bam Smack Pow! and Viral Hare
    Previous Articles for Whatever A Spider Can.
    Previous Articles for Spider-Man Crawlspace.

Don't ever take a fence down until you know the reason why it was put up.--G.K. Chesterton

BANNED

This is beyond ridiculous.

I can see Ultimate FF getting cancelled cause of sales. And it's sales weren't helped by the art on that book.

But FF is in Robinson's hands, and even Alonso said there are big things coming for it and Invaders, after the amazing reveal in Invaders 5.

Quote Originally Posted by runguy View Post
    As stated in other post there is such a disconnect between comic book movies and the comic books themselves this makes no business sense; however, what is of possible interest is how Robinson is deconstructing the FF. Now that could lead to a temporary halt to the FF series (and a relaunch). Brevpoort's comments really only addressed how it would not make sense based on the FF movie rumor (he did not out and out deny the series ending, only that the reason in the BC article makes no business sense).
    THIS. If FF is 'canceled,' it will be like Hickman's F4 getting 'canceled' to be replaced immediately by FF, TEMPORARILY.

Extraordinary Member John Ossie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by stillanerd View Post
    Okay, lets say that Marvel is actually going to shelve the Fantastic Four and related characters due to Fox owning the intellectual property film rights. You couple this rumor with Marvel's earlier announcement about their "Time Runs Out" event, and the idea that Marvel maybe setting the stage for a Crisis-style reboot doesn't sound that crazy (something which Bleeding Cool also speculated last week). Which of course, if true, they won't actually call it a reboot. They'll call it a "restructuring" or "realignment" or some such.

Thing is, if Marvel is indeed going the reboot route with this, I wouldn't be least bit shocked if the newly restructured Marvel Universe contains all the characters Marvel Studios has the IP licenses for (plus Spider-Man since Sony gave Marvel back all the animation and merchandising rights in exchange for keeping the film rights) in order to have "synergy" with their cinematic universe, while all the X-Men comics essentially become an "imprint line" like Wildstorm and Vertigo were for DC prior to the New 52.
    Do you genuinely think it's possible that Marvel would seriously shelve F4 because of the thing with Fox? Because if they did it'd be a bit petty to say the least.

Spectacular Member

Man, I pity those who are affected by this rumor/news directly. I'm talking about the artist, of course. For all we know, he might be panicking at the thought of losing his work and money for the next few months and calling everybody at Marvel just to confirm the news, instead of concentrating on putting his best work out in the next issue.

Also, can you guys check out the updated article at the source? It might just be me, but I feel like the writer of that article might have a bit of an attitude problem, going so far as to update his article just to comment on Brevoort's tumbler response. Additionally, he's quoting CBR's article now, as if it would convince people he's on the right track more easily. Even if he ends up being correct, I wouldn't trust a guy who would bring his personal feelings into a "professional" news article.

Quote Originally Posted by John Ossie View Post
    Do you genuinely think it's possible that Marvel would seriously shelve F4 because of the thing with Fox? Because if they did it'd be a bit petty to say the least.
    Oh, I agree, if this rumor is indeed true, it's most definitely petty. Then again, this "directive" is apparently coming directly from Marvel's CEO Isaac Perlmutter, and given what's been reported about him in the past, the idea that he'd put the Fantastic Four comics on hiatus and putting the kibosh on FF merchandising over not wanting to give essentially "free promotion" for Fox doesn't sound like that much of stretch.
    Last edited by stillanerd; 05-30-2014 at 07:32 PM.
    --Mike McNulty, a.k.a. Stillanerd. Contributor for Bam Smack Pow! and Viral Hare

Don't ever take a fence down until you know the reason why it was put up.--G.K. Chesterton

Extraordinary Member John Ossie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by stillanerd View Post
    Oh, I agree, if this rumor is indeed true, it's most definitely petty. Then again, this "directive" is apparently coming directly from Marvel's CEO Isaac Perlmutter, and given what's been reported about him in the past, the idea that he'd put the Fantastic Four comics on hiatus and putting the kibosh on FF merchandising over not wanting to give essentially "free promotion" for Fox doesn't sound like that much of stretch.
    Well I don't follow that type of stuff but it does sound like he might do stuff like what's being rumoured.

Marvel may see getting the rights back to FF as a "winnable battle" where even the slight support having a written comic could provide is too much. They dont want to offer up any creative juice to a property that they could get back with some sort of well played chess match.

It also could be a bargaining chip (seems like a weak one though) in getting a few of those FF properties back in the fold they wanted , like Galactus and Silver Surfer

X-men is totally different...they have no shot at getting back anything there due to the success.

I think more and more the comics may just become a playground for movie ideas and the real profit will be had in the films. So writing off a 30k FF book that marvel has really seen struggle with even A-list talent becomes possible...at least for awhile.

I'm not saying i like it or agree with it...but i can see some of the angles.

Quote Originally Posted by John Ossie View Post
    Well I don't follow that type of stuff but it does sound like he might do stuff like what's being rumoured.
    Also, and this is pure conjecture, but Marvel/Disney might think that, given the success of their Cinematic Universe and that Fox still has the IP rights for the Fantastic Four, it makes more sense economically to place the Fantastic Four title on an indefinite hiatus while still having them or characters like Doom or Galactus appear or cross over into other titles.

Bold move if indeed true.