Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Default Justice League #42: Does Batman now know "The Truth"?

Anyone who's read JL #42 knows that Batman took control of the Mobius chair and learned the truth about the death of his parents and the Joker's real name. But what else does he now know? Does he know that his universe is fiction? That him and his world are just comic books in another dimension? Or that there are different versions of himself and the others out there? And is this something DC should pursue even if they aren't intending to? What will the Mobius chair actually show him and what should it show him?

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    Anyone who's read JL #42 knows that Batman took control of the Mobius chair and learned the truth about the death of his parents and the Joker's real name. But what else does he now know? Does he know that his universe is fiction? That him and his world are just comic books in another dimension? Or that there are different versions of himself and the others out there? And is this something DC should pursue even if they aren't intending to? What will the Mobius chair actually show him and what should it show him?
    I'm assuming he's going to get his brain rewound after he gives up control of the chair. Otherwise, he'll know all kinds of crazy cosmic stuff that he probably shouldn't, both for his own sanity and for the sake of the story.

As for the Joker's real name: red herring. They won't reveal this.

they wont (and shouldnt) reveal Joker's true identity. either Batman will forget what he learned or he'll just never say it. but it's fitting that he knows Joker's identity now that Joker knows he's Bruce Wayne.

I don't think they'll reveal it to the audience, but I think it'll play a role in the Batman one shot from Gods and Men. I disagree it never should be revealed though. As with anything, if there's a good enough idea, roll with it. In fact with as overwrought as he's been as a character ever since The Dark Knight, I think it would be good for the character to remind characters that he's just a freaking man.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Maybe the Joker is Alfred

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

I think that he's really the DC universe version of Loki. Playing pranks on Batman for his own amusement.

i'm sure he will lose this knowledge. even if he writes it down or puts in on a hard drive i'm sure it would vanish.

Another amazing issue from Geoff Johns. Quick question, was the past event Green Lantern mentioned regarding Metron from the Godhead storyline or was that from some pre New 52 occurence?

Also, had it been confirmed how many issues The Darkseid War is going to be and will this be Johns' final arc on Justice League?
    Last edited by Forever Knight; 07-18-2015 at 01:05 AM.

Spectacular Member

As i said in the other thread, even the möbius chair doesn't know who the joker is. Why do we assume that it gave an actual name.? Maybe it didn't and that's actually what shocked bats.

Joker = Joe Chill

BANNED

I think Grail/Anti-monitor or Metron tempered with chair to confuse the justice league and batman.

where they filmed that one movie and half of that other one

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Kal-el View Post
    Like the Purloined Letter, it was in front of him the whole time.

Never trust the charming Brit!

Extraordinary Member John Ossie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cgh View Post
    I'm assuming he's going to get his brain rewound after he gives up control of the chair. Otherwise, he'll know all kinds of crazy cosmic stuff that he probably shouldn't, both for his own sanity and for the sake of the story.

As for the Joker's real name: red herring. They won't reveal this.
    Yeah, I don't think they'll reveal it either as that's always been part of the Joker charm is not knowing who he is. And I wouldn't be surprised if Batman ended up losing all this new knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Kal-el View Post
    LOL.

I'm just expecting it to get forgotten about, and remain a standalone element, so it doesn't really impact what Snyder's done in Batman and the Joker's character going forward.

Death of the Family implied Batman already knew who The Joker really was, which is how he was able to stop him there, so unless Johns intended for that scene to disprove Batman's earlier theory (if he even knew about it), I don't see it having a heavy impact on anything past this storyline.

Quote Originally Posted by Forever Knight View Post
    Another amazing issue from Geoff Johns. Quick question, was the past event Green Lantern mentioned regarding Metron from the Godhead storyline or was that from some pre New 52 occurence?

Also, had it been confirmed how many issues The Darkseid War is going to be and will this be Johns' final arc on Justice League?
    I'm pretty sure Hal made a reference to the Corps. dealings with the New Gods, and Metron's role in that, from Godhead .

mikeptas

I think the shocking part could be the Joker is many different people. With the mulitverse, each Joker could have a different origin. And having the same character come about from mulitple different sources could be shocking as it would show some sort of plan in place.
    Or just to be off the wall - Joker is Bruce's half brother. That would be shocking. Probably more than realizing Joker is just Superman dressing up to mess with him.