Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    BANNED

Default Is anyone else bitter over the Ultimate Universe getting no closure?

So, the Ultimate Universe is gone, and I get that the comics had to end sense it wasn't selling well, but why couldn't it have gotten some closure first? Give us one last good story to send off the universe, instead of just destroying the universe and killing off all the characters except for Miles. No closure for any of the characters or readers. I feel a little betrayed and was wondering if anyone else feels the same way and wanted the universe to get a good ending with some closure.

BANNED

Yeah we're all disappointed that Secret Wars #1 was really the only real closure we're receiving.

Shit hit the fans for real.

Amazing Member

I was super pissed and frustrated that it happened. The Ultimate Universe has really become a disappointment and it has left me really frustrated. I just can't stand it, especially how it was handled. I just wish there was a way to reboot the entire franchise so that it can be better. So much potential completely wasted

#RebootUltimateMarvel

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Silentman87 View Post
    I was super pissed and frustrated that it happened. The Ultimate Universe has really become a disappointment and it has left me really frustrated. I just can't stand it, especially how it was handled. I just wish there was a way to reboot the entire franchise so that it can be better. So much potential completely wasted

#RebootUltimateMarvel
    I don't really see any reason to reboot it. I could see them going forward with the status quo they had before Secret Wars, just skip ahead a few years.

It's tough for me to say I'm bitter or betrayed. I'm not big on the idea of fans being owed or deserving anything. We got 15 years of Ultimate books, and a lot of them are great. Nothing will change that. I'll always be able to look back fondly at the Ultimate Universe, which gave us some of my favorite comics of the decade.

That said, it's a damn shame how it all ended. Ultimate End is not the send off I would have wanted, though Secret Wars #1 is a pretty solid ending, if there has to be one.

For whatever it's worth, I always wanted it to end with one last mega-story. I had envisioned something like 52 - a weekly series featuring the entire UU. Bring back writers and artists from UU past to contribute - Bendis, Millar, Ellis, Carey, Kirkman, Spencer, Wood, Hickman, Loeb, Fialkov; Bagley, Immonen, Kubert, Hitch, Finch, Joe Mad, Cho, Brooks... you get the idea. Just this major jam fest of writers and artists closing up the UU. Have there be some big story running through the whole thing, but a lot of it could be one last short story with whatever characters a writer wants to finish off.

But enough fan fiction. It's been a good run.

Formerly Ballard Blues RoxanneBluePots's Avatar

I'm not bitter, but I am disappointed. Truth be told I'm surprised Ultimate Marvel lasted for as long as it has, especially when you look at back and compare other MARVEL universe branch offs that just keeled over (Marvel 2099 is one example). Fifteen plus years is pretty impressive and for the most part, I don't think MARVEL wouldn't be what it is now without Ultimate Marvel.

That said, I wish the end of it wasn't so self-aware in the sense that I know that its "end" is basically a mandate. Like you mentioned a lot stuff and a lot of characters aren't going to get closure, presumably because UM isn't making or attracting in the kind of audience MARVEL wants anymore. "All New, All Different Marvel" seems to be its key replacement. Only Miles appears to the sole survivor that they want and think about the stuff that gets tossed to the wayside is just disheartened to say the least.

I'm mad Ultimate End is really mediocre.
    We need better comics

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by William300 View Post
    I don't really see any reason to reboot it. I could see them going forward with the status quo they had before Secret Wars, just skip ahead a few years.
    But there is so much stuff that was never really answered, there are parts that don't really make sense, and the materials there don't really expand much. It had plenty by never really progressed forward. It didn't really have a proper continuity. Some portions of the story, partly the tie-in books, have shown a couple of errors. Ultimate Supreme was one example of such

Either they can just reboot it or change a couple of things that makes sense, via time travel or whatever

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Silentman87 View Post
    But there is so much stuff that was never really answered, there are parts that don't really make sense, and the materials there don't really expand much. It had plenty by never really progressed forward. It didn't really have a proper continuity. Some portions of the story, partly the tie-in books, have shown a couple of errors. Ultimate Supreme was one example of such

Either they can just reboot it or change a couple of things that makes sense, via time travel or whatever
    From what I could tell it had a very good continuity. The main Marvel Universe's continuity is far more convoluted. I think it would be fine going forward. Also, there is no point in rebooting a continuity that was more or less a reboot.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by RoxanneBluePots View Post
    I'm not bitter, but I am disappointed. Truth be told I'm surprised Ultimate Marvel lasted for as long as it has, especially when you look at back and compare other MARVEL universe branch offs that just keeled over (Marvel 2099 is one example). Fifteen plus years is pretty impressive and for the most part, I don't think MARVEL wouldn't be what it is now without Ultimate Marvel.

That said, I wish the end of it wasn't so self-aware in the sense that I know that its "end" is basically a mandate. Like you mentioned a lot stuff and a lot of characters aren't going to get closure, presumably because UM isn't making or attracting in the kind of audience MARVEL wants anymore. "All New, All Different Marvel" seems to be its key replacement. Only Miles appears to the sole survivor that they want and think about the stuff that gets tossed to the wayside is just disheartened to say the least.
    Ultimate Marvel was a smart move from Marvel, they could experiment without upsetting their old readers

It's sad that is ending, I really dig the ultimate jessica drew.
    Ultimate end is pointless, it's not going anywhere.

Yeah I guess I do. think y bitterness is toward Ultimate End. If Secret War #1 as the final time I saw the characters, I could live with that.

I wouldn't say I'm bitter but I'm definitely sad that it's ending and very disappointed with Ultimate End. This line is what I have been the most passionate about in terms of comics and now it's going away. I'm not very excited for NuMU with a few exceptions so it makes it worse for me personally because I don't have anything to fill the void.
    You brought back Wolverine

The CBR Community Standards a.k.a how to get along.

Amazing Member

Ultimate Peter was the foundation of Ultimate Marvel. As soon as they started messing with that, is when they sealed their fate. Best character in all of comics in the last 20 years.

BANNED

I actually really like Miles, I think it was a dumb idea to bring Ultimate Peter Parker back.

Astonishing Member kingaliencracker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by William300 View Post
    I actually really like Miles, I think it was a dumb idea to bring Ultimate Peter Parker back.
    I think most Ultimate fans like Miles, but I think Spider-Man24 is on track with his/her statement.

For me, the great thing about the Ultimate line was that it was a "fresh start" with established characters. I think once they started killing off and replacing those characters, and even drastically altering characters' behaviors, the Ultimate line lost its luster.

It seems to me that once sales started to dip, Marvel's response was to make sure ANYTHING could happen in the Ultimate universe, and I don't necessarily think that was a good thing.