Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    BANNED

Default Is Secret Wars going to end up being unnecessary?

So, after seeing the post-Secret Wars books previews and having time to think about it, I've started to wonder if Secret Wars was even necessary. It honestly doesn't looks like it's going to have that much affect on the main universe which looks more like a direct continuation of the pre-Secret Wars world. As far as I can tell, it looks like Miles Morales being stranded in the main universe is the only effect Secret Wars will have on the main universe. Though it does look like the FF character will be in different places than pre-Secret Wars. Anyways, what do you think?

It isn't unnecessary if it ends up a good story. That is what is most important and that is all that really matters.
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    It isn't unnecessary if it ends up a good story. That is what is most important and that is all that really matters.
    I watched the Ultimate Universe (my favorite canon) die for it. I'm going to be upset if it doesn't have any big effects.

Quote Originally Posted by William300 View Post
    I watched the Ultimate Universe (my favorite canon) die for it. I'm going to be upset if it doesn't have any big effects.
    The Ultimate Universe didn't die 'for' Secret Wars. It died because it's been limping on it's last legs for years now....
    Freedom is the ability to live without fear of persecution.

Would you have rather the Ultimate Universe just ended with an announcement?
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

It's just an excuse to do some house cleaning(IE getting Miles into 616).

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    Would you have rather the Ultimate Universe just ended with an announcement?
    yea, because then at least all characters wouldnt have died

Teenage Exorcist just another user's Avatar

Lots of things are unnecessary. Doesn't make them bad.

one could argue most comic event storylines are unnecessary...

I think it's a massive changing of the roles. I speculate T'Challa assumes the role of Reed Richards as the lead scientist with the All-New All-Different Ultimates, ,the All-New All-Different Ultimates assume the role of the Fantastic Four, perhaps Maker assumes the role of Doom, and 616 Reed and Susan can once again go off into peaceful retirement to raise their children Franklin and Valeria, perhaps for a while in the Franklin dreamverse.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by just another user View Post
    Lots of things are unnecessary. Doesn't make them bad.
    Exactly. The point is fun. That's why Squirrel Girl is my favorite Marvel comic right now. Chipmunk Hunk, Galactus, Cat-Thor fan-fic, little scrolls down around the bottom, none of it necessary. All of it fun.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CSTowle View Post
    Exactly. The point is fun. That's why Squirrel Girl is my favorite Marvel comic right now. Chipmunk Hunk, Galactus, Cat-Thor fan-fic, little scrolls down around the bottom, none of it necessary. All of it fun.
    I don't think I'd want to read a whole slate of that kind of title. Too much sugar is bad for your diet too. Comics are light fiction for the most part, some of it darker than others like Punisher, most runs of Daredevil, etc. But I don't think Marvel would be successful with comics of that kind were to become the majority.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

The Ultimate Universe became redundant and fans lost interest after a while. The UFF last run couldn't even last 6 issues before getting cancelled.

Quote Originally Posted by klinton View Post
    The Ultimate Universe didn't die 'for' Secret Wars. It died because it's been limping on it's last legs for years now....
    QFT. I think it had a lot of characters that were laboring under the Mark Millar scum bag syndrome. Take one character, make him a jerk and voila, that was the extent of some of the innovations. The Hulk became a cannibal and a rapist. Nick Fury was cheating on his wife by taking every female name from her address book, including her relatives to sleep with. Then there was Ultimatum. I think it was left with very few characters that readers cared about.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    The Ultimate Universe became redundant and fans lost interest after a while. The UFF last run couldn't even last 6 issues before getting cancelled.

QFT. I think it had a lot of characters that were laboring under the Mark Millar scum bag syndrome. Take one character, make him a jerk and voila, that was the extent of some of the innovations. The Hulk became a cannibal and a rapist. Nick Fury was cheating on his wife by taking every female name from her address book, including her relatives to sleep with. Then there was Ultimatum. I think it was left with very few characters that readers cared about.
    First to the topic: Is Secret Wars going to end up being unnecessary?
    Kinda because it was designed as a self containing story which was planned after TRO started. Somewhere there is a long text I wrote about where this story come from.

That scum bag sydrome and so on. We had already discussed that Marvel started long ago copying those idea into the 616. From my perspective they are on the same level broken like the UU after ultimatum. This is one reason why they swapped so many characters into the caps (beside some were low on sales) and like I said I don't see any evidence that they change their course in the future.

Marvel will fall this path down from now until they are forced to make a real reset

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    I don't think I'd want to read a whole slate of that kind of title. Too much sugar is bad for your diet too. Comics are light fiction for the most part, some of it darker than others like Punisher, most runs of Daredevil, etc. But I don't think Marvel would be successful with comics of that kind were to become the majority.
    Right, that's exactly what I was saying. Make every book Squirrel Girl. You nailed it.