Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Apparently Spurrier's X-Men Legacy run, one of my favorite single series ever, is "unnecessary and not good" because it affects literally nothing besides itself.

Ditto for Milligan's X-Force/X-Statix, Cornell's Captain Britain and MI:13, Nextwave, Blackman and del Mundo's Elektra, etc...

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by William300 View Post
    So, after seeing the post-Secret Wars books previews and having time to think about it, I've started to wonder if Secret Wars was even necessary. It honestly doesn't looks like it's going to have that much affect on the main universe which looks more like a direct continuation of the pre-Secret Wars world. As far as I can tell, it looks like Miles Morales being stranded in the main universe is the only effect Secret Wars will have on the main universe. Though it does look like the FF character will be in different places than pre-Secret Wars. Anyways, what do you think?
    What is necessary mean? It's turning out to be a really good story that culminates an exceptional run in my opinion not to mention it's selling pretty dang good. So yeah I think it was a necessary end to Hickmans long form story.

Funny that a core part of this event is ending the Ultimate Universe...only to have Spider-Gwen's "Earth-65" survive as a separate continuity in a slightly similar fashion.
    Co-host of Ultimate Spin - the Spider-Fan podcast for Miles Morales and Spider-Gwen!
    And check out our in-depth podcast interviews with their creators!

Quote Originally Posted by Habis View Post
    Secret Wars is just an event that will soon be forgotten when the next one strikes. It just an story. As for the changes afterwards, most of them could have been done without need of the Incursions saga and the Secret Wars event. So no, it isn't necessary, but it can be a good read.

What pisses me about the whole event is how they defiled so many characters for the sake of the event. If you want to get rid of some of the old glories, let them retire with honor. Even worse, many of those defiled characters aren't even going to retire, but just to reset back, and that makes the previous character assassination to look even more unnecessary and just for shock value.
    This is the old question how much will stay how much will be gone ? I must admit the full truth we will know in 3 months(if my maths is correct) when SW is over but how it looks like in core the action will stay the , the memories are gone. I think and I can only guess that the majority of the Illuminati will die like Tony and Cyclops and they will be reborn in the new universe.

It is really in philosophic question if they are the same or different alternative version. I think most readers will be heavily confused by this. The problem is if they are the same so does their guilt stay the same , if they are different than some will say why should I care about him/her? My version was tainted and than killed off.

Sure you can swap that all around and say they are guilty ? Who cares nobody remember or they are new ? How exciting. The other thing is that we have with the Inhumans a direct result of TRO still staying in reality even when the story are supposed to be gone.

In the end most stories have no purpose beside be entertaining but there are still some good and bad things which will be remembered by the readers

MXAAGVNIEETRO IS RIGHT MyriVerse's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Centipede Damascus View Post
    Apparently Spurrier's X-Men Legacy run, one of my favorite single series ever, is "unnecessary and not good" because it affects literally nothing besides itself.
    Well, I reached that decision after reading several issues of it.

But it did affect Legion quite significantly.

And Gabby...

So, I think you misinterpret what I mean by "affect."
    Last edited by MyriVerse; 07-19-2015 at 01:17 PM.
    f/k/a The Black Guardian
    COEXIST | NOEXIST
    ShadowcatMagikДаякѕтая Sto☈mDustMercury MonetRachelSage
    MagnetoNightcrawlerColossusRockslideBeastXavier

Quote Originally Posted by Centipede Damascus View Post

Ditto for Milligan's X-Force/X-Statix, Cornell's Captain Britain and MI:13, Nextwave, Blackman and del Mundo's Elektra, etc...
    This is a human with good taste in comic books, friends!

For what it's worth, I think the OP's question is a little... silly.

-Pav, who LOVED Spurrier's take on Legion...
    You were Spider-Man then. You and Peter had agreed on it. But he came back right when you started feeling comfortable.
    You know what it means when he comes back

"You're not the better one, Peter. You're just older."
    --------------------
    Closet full of comics? Consider donating to my school! DM for details

Mighty Member

Well that's why there Battlworld and Warzones. My understanding is Warzones are the Building Blocks to the New Marvel U what that means I don't know yet

Astonishing Member RobinFan4880's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Project37 View Post
    Funny that a core part of this event is ending the Ultimate Universe...only to have Spider-Gwen's "Earth-65" survive as a separate continuity in a slightly similar fashion.
    Difference is, Spider-Gwen is selling like hotcakes, the Ultimate stuff, not so much.

This event will end with a few new pieces added to the "616" toy box, not just Miles.

Off of the top of my head, I can think of the following:

The Maestro
    Miles Morales
    Old Man Logan
    Various Squadron Supreme Members (including my personal favorite, Supreme Power Nighthawk.)

So yeah, it did serve a bit of a purpose as far as reshuffling the deck with some new cards. I do hope that we see more alt universe refugees floating around, though. Especially more Ultimate characters... I can't believe that Miles (and most likely his non-super powered supporting cast) were the only salvageable pieces from that universe.

It's been hinted Battleworld will continue to exist on in some fashion.

Extraordinary Member Omega Alpha's Avatar

It was necessary for the story Hickman wanted to tell. Afterwards is beyond his control.

Mind you, the first Secret Wars had a few ramifications that last to this day- Venom, Magneto working as an ally with the X-men, She-Hulk having a close relationship with the FF, etc. And of course the influence it had on the 2nd Battleworld story.

I sdntk think sw will be entirely unnessecary, Maybe there not showing us the aftermath of sw in the preview issues, because they dont wanna spoil the ending. but even if it does become unnecessary it could still be remembered as the time marvel killed everyone, though in all seriousness a comics quality isnt judged by how much it contributes to the main story, its judged by how awesome it is
    "Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else."

Unecessary in relation to what? Based on that answer, it'd be much easier to give a definitive answer. But sure it's most certainly completing some objective(s) whether it's the entertainment value provided, its contribution to the marvel meta-plot or some Marvel business consolidation/cost saving measure therefore, yes, it is necessary.

Spectacular Member

are comics ever necessary?

I'd like to know if the general population learn anything from this, or is it just going to be 6 months later, and everyone has forgotten the Cabal were murdering planets for them? It's quite possible Marvel are removing the very heavy gravity of the Incursion danger from the situation, just to tell stories with normalcy for a change. We've had time quakes altering everything everywhere, not allowing the MU to evolve post Dark Reign. Immediately, Kang showed up in Heroic Age and madness appeared, followed by more madness in Fear Itself, ad infinitum. When NuMarvel comes out of this fog of uncertainty surrounding what you can believe and what you can't, then I think we can see another story that has been missing since the clean old days before the 21st Century.