Wally 'Ginger' West fan
    Along one of the Birkeland Currents that traverse the Milky Way. I forget the exact cross streets.

Default Windows 10 Looms What to do?

I'm on a Windows 7 machine that is getting old so probably within the year will need a new computer.
    Thing is a new Windows Computer will likely come with the new Windows 10 'service' (as opposed to a product) that must be 'rented' every so often (whenever they decide they want more rent?) What I'm reading about Windows 10 is making my stomach jumpy: renting rather than buying, home computers used as guinea pigs for the safety of business licensed Windows 10 users, no opting out or delaying updates of any sort regardless whether you want them or your system's hardware can't handle them...

Yeah, so I"m thinking....should I start searching for a Windows 8.1 machine or are there other less bossy alternatives out there? (When I started computing there were only Microsoft and Mac as choices. I've also heard of Chrome, but sibling says hated it.

Any advice on how best to sidestep Windows 10 even after this year?

Computer nigh-illiterate.

Update: Candy Crush will be automatically installed on Windows 10 http://www.theverge.com/2015/5/14/86...aga-windows-10 Oh, lovely. Another 'just what I don't need or want taking up space on my computer'.
    Last edited by Kyer; 07-18-2015 at 08:36 AM.
    Parental care is way exhausting. Gained insight into what my parents went through when I was a baby. Not fun, but what ya gonna do? (Read comics, obviously.)

If you don't like Chrome try another >>> Linux, Apple, Android, Syllable, Sky OS, Mac OS X, FreeBSD...you can chose many good operating systems that are not windows based

Wally 'Ginger' West fan
    Along one of the Birkeland Currents that traverse the Milky Way. I forget the exact cross streets.

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by Look View Post
    If you don't like Chrome try another >>> Linux, Apple, Android, Syllable, Sky OS, Mac OS X, FreeBSD...you can chose many good operating systems that are not windows based
    Ah yes....see, I've only ever had Windows and back when OSX Tiger was out...a Mac Mini until Snow Leopard came out at which time I went back to Windows (7). Gave up on Macs when the prices just got to expensive plus the Cloud storage only thing annoyed me. Otherwise the operating system was great.

Know squat about the other operating systems.

So far have been trying to check out Linux via YouTube and googling on it, but most info seems to go on about Terminal activities.

My computer activity is 99.9 percent checking out YouTube info/entertainment videos, search engines, fanfiction sites, websites such as this one, mail, and stuff like tax form publications once a year. Oh yeah, and shopping (when brick & mortar stores let me down.) Offline activity is pretty WordPad, Calc, and a Calendar with rare forays into Screen Capture and Paint. The vast majority of software on any computer I've ever owned went unused and even utterly ignored even for curiosity's sake.

So...needs are simple, but what needs that exist are pretty important to me. (Taxes especially as both Feds and State have become allergic to sending out paper forms.)

Can something like Linux let me do all those activities or will certain sites not accept the operating system? I haven't a clue and can't afford to waste money especially as electronics are not something stores take back for a refund with any sort of grace.

Sigh....never even heard of most of those systems you've listed!

I got a lot of research to do. So much for the weekend.
    Parental care is way exhausting. Gained insight into what my parents went through when I was a baby. Not fun, but what ya gonna do? (Read comics, obviously.)

Wally 'Ginger' West fan

Quote Originally Posted by Look View Post
    I'm going to have to ask sibling to clarify why he dislikes Chrome. See stuff about security issues and privacy but those search results are 2013 and older? What I'm not crazy about is having to do everything (read 'anything') via a Cloud. Coming from old school Desktop + personal Hard Drive computing, that just strikes me as detrimental to security in the same way that Mac insisted for years that it couldn't get viruses.
    On the other hand I'm seeing that I could just use the apps and otherwise store practically any files I want to have on an external HD and skip the measly Chromebook storage for holding their apps during use. As with comic books, I prefer things I can 'own' rather than 'lease'. But the main issue is:

How well can Chrome interact with commercial/gov websites?

-------------------------------------------
    Linux Mint: either Mate or Cinnamon looks like a real possibility -IF- things like government an banking sites will work on it. Granted, I don't do any banking online at this time but it could become a necessity at some point in the future and would be nice to have the option. Yet again the main potential problem is:

How well can Linux Mint interact with commercial/gov websites?
    -------------------------------------------
    Syllable, Sky OS, FreeBSD are way too primative/techie for me. The latter in particular took me back several decades to MS-DOS...the dark ages before GUI! Yikes!