Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I think Batman, due to the writers, is pretty prejudiced towards the poor. Orphans though? Not too sure.
    "Race is a social construct, they say. And I remind them that money is a social construct, too. Social constructs have power." — DeRay Mckesson

Maybe he just doesn't like Steph.

Astonishing Member The_Greatest_Username's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gwhh View Post
    I thought of that. But huntress kills people left and right and batman does not kill or condone killing
    That's a strong exaggeration.

Quote Originally Posted by LoneNecromancer View Post
    She's a grown woman, not a child.

Man, some of you are weird.
    Barbara Gordon was also a grown woman when she became Batgirl (depending on which origin we're going with) and she was brought up in the OP.

Not sure what your point is about the weird thing.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nite-Wing View Post
    I think its socially irresponsible of him to have so many impressionable young people around him following his footsteps in something that can get them killed(and this has happened a few times now). I have no problem with Bruce mentoring reformed criminals or adults(because that's too smart for DC apparently) but the teen and kids who flock to Batman because its cool is just the most disturbing aspect of his universe. Its even more crazy reading old interviews from Oneil or Grant talking about Robin is the character kids are supposed to project onto.
    Just completely backwards
    That's why I ultimately find the Bat family concept stupid
    It would be irresponsible if Batman was a real person living on our world...but in a comic book with aliens who can fly and shoot lasers out of their eyes while still looking human and mental institutions that look like something out of the dark ages and tights and capes seem to be totally rational training kids doesn't really seem to be out of sync.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Double 0 View Post
    I think Batman, due to the writers, is pretty prejudiced towards the poor. Orphans though? Not too sure.
    Dude pumps a ton of money into improving Gotham, from supporting the schools, making donations to hospitals, finding jobs for the poor and young, fights as Batman to just keep some more people alive whilst the long-term stuff he funds takes time to follow through.

But yeah, he's prejudiced towards the poor because I'm sure this one guy he punched out for trying to stab a woman from her purse or something really needed the money.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Medusa View Post
    Not sure what your point is about the weird thing.
    Just the nature of some of the arguments here. I expect to see them honestly from people who don't read Batman comics and yet have their own idea about the character actually is.

BANNED

Dude pumps a ton of money into improving Gotham, from supporting the schools, making donations to hospitals, finding jobs for the poor and young, fights as Batman to just keep some more people alive whilst the long-term stuff he funds takes time to follow through.

But yeah, he's prejudiced towards the poor because I'm sure this one guy he punched out for trying to stab a woman from her purse or something really needed the money.

Just the nature of some of the arguments here. I expect to see them honestly from people who don't read Batman comics and yet have their own idea about the character actually is.
    there are whole stories of Him saving women and children and setting them up in homes and giving them a job at Wayne Enterprise to support them. He is rebuilding most of Harper Rows rundown neighborhood into Low-income housing for the poor of the area with more modern uplifting setting. He isn't against the poor at all. Its just that he is one man who hates politics trying to help out with his money. He can only do so much without getting more people involved. There was even a story of him busting up a Robbery, breaking the mans arm and hearing him cry about his kids and money, visited him as bruce wayne in the hospital to give him a job in his previous field inside of wayne Enterprises.

He is a good man, but one man can't fight poverty alone and win. All he can do his help were and when he can.

Astonishing Member The_Greatest_Username's Avatar

Oh okay, I thought it was directed at me.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Godlike13 View Post
    Maybe he just doesn't like Steph.
    I think that's more likely. And I think the reason is probably not that she has surviving parents, but that one of those parents is the Cluemaster. Still makes Batman guilty of an unlovely belief that people can't rise above their parentage and maybe an unscientific suspicion that crime is genetic, but it's not as crazy as irrational hatred of people with two parents.

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Hopkins View Post
    I think that's more likely. And I think the reason is probably not that she has surviving parents, but that one of those parents is the Cluemaster. Still makes Batman guilty of an unlovely belief that people can't rise above their parentage and maybe an unscientific suspicion that crime is genetic, but it's not as crazy as irrational hatred of people with two parents.
    But Jason mark II had a criminal father, and Cass's father was an assassin. And he certainly seemed to be willing to try nurture over nature for Damian, despite his mother, his grandfather and his own early training, even if Damian being his own son would have given a little extra bias. I don't think that Stephanie having a criminal parent would have been an insurmountable obstacle, even if it wasn't exactly a recommendation.

Myself, I think it's much more likely that it's just that Steph came along at a period when he was wary about bringing down the mental barricades and letting anyone in. Even Tim had a struggle to be accepted, and he came with the Dick Grayson seal of approval.