Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Marvel Star Wars: what's the endgame?

I'm opening this post by saying that I like both Marvel's Star Wars books and Dark Horse's stuff as well. This post is not intended as a comparison of either, but will be discussing both.

So, the ongoing Star Wars books (adjectiveless and Darth Vader): what's the long-term plan with these books? Right now they both have two big-name writers who know how to write a long-term plot from beginning to end. The trend in comics these days tends to be to have a writer have a long-term goal so they're telling a larger narrative over the life of the story. Writer's don't tend to tell issue after issue until they get reassigned elsewhere, like they did in issues past. Now it seems to be more a matter of having a large-scope story with an endgame in mind, right?

The dilemma with the two ongoing Star Wars books is that they, in theory, have some natural points that they need to reach. I suppose they can tell stories about Luke and Leia and company in the "Episode IV" era in perpetuity...though that could get old after some time. About a decade ago, Dark Horse did decide to cater to fan demand and launched an ongoing book in this era. It was initially called Star Wars: Empire (so named because it was set in the imperial era, unlike its other book, Star Wars: Republic, which was still in the Episode II era). The problem with that book is that it seemed to perpetually take place around Episode IV. The first few issues were set in the months before that movie, and later issues took place during or immediately after the movie. I think the book had to get well out of its first year before it started moving into the months after Yavin...and even then, readers got annoyed wondering when the book was finally going to reach Hoth.

In contrast, Marvel's original comic series and Dark Horse's Republic title both ran concurrent with the movies as they were being released. Marvel's original series was being published to satisfy the need for more Star Wars until Episodes V and VI were released, and when the new movies came out, the books transitioned into that time period. Dark Horse did the same thing. Its own Star Wars title tended to be set in the months after Episode I, until around 2002 when it shifted into the Clone Wars period. I remember the Dark Horse books particularly well between 2002 and 2005, since they worked with Lucas' story group to transition the book into the Episode III era. The Clones changed their helmets, General Greivous was introduced, Anakin got his scar...you could tell that the comic was moving towards the Episode III period, so when the movie came out, the comic wasn't tracking too far behind it.

But, the current batch of Star Wars comics...I like them, but part of me wonders what the long-term plan is, if any. Is it going to chronicle everything between Yavin and Hoth? Is there some eventual plan to get the heroes to Hoth (keeping in mind that it was traditionally considered three years between Episodes IV and VI, and less than a year between V and VI)? Will it keep telling low-risk stories, to the extent that we know what Luke and Vader's final fates will be? Luke ends up a Jedi. Vader ends up redeemed, but also dead. Knowing that, what's the long-term goal here?

I don't ask this to be dismissive, but I wonder: does there have to be an endgame? Can they not just be enjoyable stories that don't lead up to major events every eighteen months?

I find with comics, the destination is the least important part. Yes, we know the fates of the major players in the SWU. But to an extent, we know the fates of the characters in the MU, as well: no one will ever die, the status quo may change for a few months, but it will always change back. A comic with a 'cliffhanger' ending of Steve Rogers falling off a cliff isn't going to end with his death, but we're interested in reading because, 'ooh, how will he get out of this one?'

If I had a 'wish' for the endgame, it would be for them to use the established characters in the SWU and branch out by creating new ones, leading to a diversified series that includes more than just household names (like Darth Vader). Aphra, for example, could transition from the comics, to the Star Wars: Rebels tv show and then into a movie! They could make toys of her and merchandise her on lunchboxes and bags.
    My fan fiction:

The Outstanding, a fan fic Universe where Marvel characters and stories are reshaped, revised and retold. Check it out!

The Ultimate Flash, where I take inspiration from classic Silver-Age Comics of Barry Allen and the new CW TV Show to give an old character a new spin! Click here to read!

A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away the Marvel and Star Wars Universe combine! Check out Marvel: Star Wars' first family, the Fantastic Four! Read it here!

i don't think they have an endgame in mind. other than to make money.

That's the other thing I had in mind!

I think with Shattered Empire coming out as well, the comics can be used to bridge the gap between movies and tie threads between the anthologies.
    My fan fiction:

The Outstanding, a fan fic Universe where Marvel characters and stories are reshaped, revised and retold. Check it out!

The Ultimate Flash, where I take inspiration from classic Silver-Age Comics of Barry Allen and the new CW TV Show to give an old character a new spin! Click here to read!

A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away the Marvel and Star Wars Universe combine! Check out Marvel: Star Wars' first family, the Fantastic Four! Read it here!

Quote Originally Posted by xMatt View Post
    I don't ask this to be dismissive, but I wonder: does there have to be an endgame? Can they not just be enjoyable stories that don't lead up to major events every eighteen months?
    I don't think there has to be an endgame--and the fact that this is a moneymaking venture suggests that it won't have one. Still, the difficulty with this thing will be eventual boredom. It seems like right now, Aaron and Gillen want to answer some big questions (which were already answered in the old nullified EU, grumble grumble), like "How did Vader learn about Luke?" and stuff like that. Eventually, they're going to run out of that transitory material between Episodes IV and V. (There is transitory stuff to be covered between Episodes V and VI, though that was a short period of time, and it was all covered in Shadows of the Empire--which I'm surprised was caught up in the great nullification, since it was a big Lucas-pushed project prior to the prequels.)

Sure, Marvel can float in the 3 years between IV and V forever. I'm just saying it will get boring. Dark Horse's Star Wars: Empire (eventually relaunched and renamed as Rebellion, but it was basically the same book) eventually moved about 9 months after Yavin, and presumably would have gone further if the book hadn't been cancelled in 2008. In 2013, they started up another post-Episode IV book by Brian Wood just called Star Wars. Empire and Rebellion were still fresh in everyone's minds, so the reaction was predictably "Wait, we're here again?" In other words, perpetual stories about Luke and Leia in the IV-V time period will get old.

You're right--one solution may be to chronicle the stories of new characters in the same period. Dark Horse did this with the character of Quinlan Vos--they had running stories about him from the time of Episode I up through the end of Episode III, and his stories paralleled what was happening in the movies. It gave us "real time" progress through the Clone Wars while still keeping to original storytelling. The downside with original characters is that they're not the film mainstays, so readers may not care where it's not Luke and Leia.

(Really, I wish Marvel were doing what Dark Horse did before the great reboot--telling stories set in the post-Episode-III era, which nobody had ever looked at in depth before. (The early imperial era was typically off-limits for the novels and comics.) It was running an "ongoing" series of minis called Dark Times about a band of heroes (including a former Jedi) running around in the newly-formed Empire while Vader was hunting for them. Parallel, Dark Horse was also running a series of minis about Vader early in his career. I guess Dark Times is too close to the concept of "Rebels" to keep going. Anyway, the period between Episodes III and IV is a much bigger playground to fool around with.)

Battle Through Time Samurai Jack's Avatar

If there is an endgame, I really hope it isn't to set up a relaunch back to #1 for all their Star Wars titles in 2016.

I'd like both Star Wars and Darth Vader to keep their ongoing status and issue numbering for as long as possible.

The only endgame I would like to see is, by the time Star Wars and Darth Vader's ongoing comics absolutely need to end, that they have introduced several new characters into the franchise that eventually make it into TV shows and movies. I would like to see Aphra make an appearance outside of comics, and more original characters created in upcoming issues meeting up with the classic Star Wars characters.
    Top 10 Favorite Comics as of September 2019
    Image: Unnatural, Isola, Monstress
    Marvel: Magnificent Ms. Marvel
    IDW: Samurai Jack: Lost Worlds
    Other: Chuck Mullin's Bird Brain, Huda F's "Yes, I'm Hot in This," Nathan W. Pyle's Strange Planet, Dirk Manning & K. Lynn Smith's Hope, Samurai Grandpa

Yeah, I absolutely agree with you on Aphra. I think she certainly has a place within other mediums, even if it is in TV shows or upcoming video games.

Right now, I think we can term the current state of STAR WARS comics as Phase One: mini-series of established and fan-favourite characters (Leia, Lando, Chewie and the established Kanan) as well as the mainstays of Darth Vader and Star Wars. Phase One would ultimately end with Shattered Empire by Rucka, right? The 'prelude' comics to FORCE AWAKENS.

After that, we may get a more comprehensive picture of what Marvel has in mind. Either, they'll expand and work within the new timeline established by Abrams' film, documenting new characters and starting new series, or they'll continue with what's working: fan favourite minis.

There will come a time when they run out of favourites, of course. So the need to expand will become necessary.

Another course of action that may be interesting would be to have series that cover the main historical events of the SWU. Comics that cover the Old Republic, the formative years of Sidious' Empire, the IV-VI timeline (which is Vader and Star Wars), the gap between Episodes VI and VII timeline and the post-VII timeline. Or whatever historical aspects of the universe they find interesting.
    My fan fiction:

Yeah, I absolutely agree with you on Aphra. I think she certainly has a place within other mediums, even if it is in TV shows or upcoming video games.
    I would love to see Aphra in a new Star Wars video game! Even better if she's a playable main protagonist with Triple Zero and BT-1 as supporting allies using their murderous tendencies against common enemies in the area.

As for phases in the comics, I think that will really have to wait until the end of Vader Down since the crossover storyline effects both of Marvel's main ongoing Star Wars comics.

I think Shattered Empire may be a stand-alone miniseries that leads into the upcoming movie, and doesn't directly involve either Star Wars or Darth Vader's ongoing series other than sharing the same characters. I could be wrong though, but I do think Vader Down will be a real game-changer for both ongoing series, and how that ends will change what happens with both comics in 2016. By this, I mean that I don't think things will just be the same as before, as if the events in Vader's Down didn't make a difference to any of the characters or their stories.
    Other: Chuck Mullin's Bird Brain, Huda F's "Yes, I'm Hot in This," Nathan W. Pyle's Strange Planet, Dirk Manning & K. Lynn Smith's Hope, Samurai Grandpa

Quote Originally Posted by Samurai Jack View Post
    I would love to see Aphra in a new Star Wars video game! Even better if she's a playable main protagonist with Triple Zero and BT-1 as supporting allies using their murderous tendencies against common enemies in the area.

As for phases in the comics, I think that will really have to wait until the end of Vader Down since the crossover storyline effects both of Marvel's main ongoing Star Wars comics.

I think Shattered Empire may be a stand-alone miniseries that leads into the upcoming movie, and doesn't directly involve either Star Wars or Darth Vader's ongoing series other than sharing the same characters. I could be wrong though, but I do think Vader Down will be a real game-changer for both ongoing series, and how that ends will change what happens with both comics in 2016. By this, I mean that I don't think things will just be the same as before, as if the events in Vader's Down didn't make a difference to any of the characters or their stories.
    Vader Down is solicited for November, right? Yeah, I think it will definitely push the Star Wars Comics into a crazy direction! Wonder when it'll finish. If it's maybe a six issue series, with two coming out per month, maybe around ... February?

I'm really interested to see whether Marvel will release comics about the timeline of FORCE AWAKENS. After all, the new comics could be very much restricted by the producers and creators of the film, who may want complete control over the film.
    My fan fiction:

Vader Down is solicited for November, right? Yeah, I think it will definitely push the Star Wars Comics into a crazy direction! Wonder when it'll finish. If it's maybe a six issue series, with two coming out per month, maybe around ... February?
    There's an article about Vader Down on previewsworld: http://www.previewsworld.com/Home/1/...ticleID=166310

I think that Vader Down will consist of one over-sized one-shot, plus three issues of Star Wars, and three issues of Darth Vader. Not exactly in that order.
    The event will most likely have many double shipping releases, and I think it will end sometime in January rather than February, unless there are delays.

Yeah, right! So that'll finish a few weeks after FORCE AWAKENS debuts. I would love to see a BATTLEFRONT comic series, something that follows the events of a team of Rebels (or Imperials) on military-esque missions. But then I suppose the Marvel comics would just become ancillary and support other forms of media (Film, TV show, Games).
    My fan fiction:

why is Aphra supposedly so popular? Is Hoth the only ice planet around? Can't they visit some others?

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    why is Aphra supposedly so popular? Is Hoth the only ice planet around? Can't they visit some others?
    Aphra is popular because she's written as an evil female Indiana Jones. Gillen is playing off the strengths of what we like about Indy and flipping them into an evil counterpart for Han. Yes, I said Indy, not Han Solo.

There are other ice planets (or there *were* in the old EU...it's up to Disney on what planets they want to bring back into the new timeline). Whatever planet Ki Adi Mundi died on in Episode III was an ice world. My earlier point is that the story *eventually* needs to get to Hoth.

Quote Originally Posted by resipsaloquitur View Post
    but part of me wonders what the long-term plan is, if any.
    I'm pretty sure the long term plan will be to publish as many books as possible to make as much money as possible. Nothing more, nothing less.

Quote Originally Posted by resipsaloquitur View Post
    Aphra is popular because she's written as an evil female Indiana Jones. Gillen is playing off the strengths of what we like about Indy and flipping them into an evil counterpart for Han. Yes, I said Indy, not Han Solo.
    She does have the evil adventure archaeologist thing going on.