Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BANNED

Default You know, we still haven't got our definitive "Ace" Spider-Man (fighting wise)

Our Cassandra Cain or our X-23. Somebody who wore the costume and became a better Spider(in fighting skills) than Peter himself. The best combatant that is close to that is Mayday, but she's far from the top martial artists in general. Or Kaine who is just Parker with more powers and deadly force, still can't hang with Daken in sheer skill in fighting. I'm hoping Peter expands his movements and skills beyond using his pre cog and webbing. Because no one has made being Spider-Man a masterpiece yet.
    Last edited by jimishim12; 07-10-2015 at 05:00 PM.

Good point, I think Scarlet Spider II Kaine could become such a figure given enough time and motivation. Unlike Peter Kaine has less in his life to distract him from the mission.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Well, the Bat guys don't really have powers. They're all street level fighters, so it makes sense that one will be tougher than the rest.

Has X-23 really been established as more effective than Wolverine?

Plus, I don't really know if it adds enough to Marvel to get someone with Spider-Man's powers who is a better fighter.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    Well, the Bat guys don't really have powers. They're all street level fighters, so it makes sense that one will be tougher than the rest.

Has X-23 really been established as more effective than Wolverine?

Plus, I don't really know if it adds enough to Marvel to get someone with Spider-Man's powers who is a better fighter.
    Spider-Man was always to me the closest analogy to Batman with powers, someone with his powers and high top tier fighting prowess would be danerously close to being a top tier being with unlimited aerodynamic scaling potential and that IMO would make the stories be better with fighting scenes and high scale choreography, the street level threats would also be taken up another notch like Iron Fist has.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Cassandra Cain and Laura Kinney were both trained from the time they were born to be killers, so having all that ingrained in them at the earliest age possible means that of course they'll be better fighters in certain ways than Batman or Wolverine, because those guys started later in life whereas Cass and Laura had literally lifelong training to be assassins. Unless you could find a Spider-Girl/Woman who'd been trained her whole life as a killer and assassin, there's very little chance of finding one who'd be for Spider-Man what Cass and Laura were for Batman and Wolverine.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Ew, no. I remember they tried to have Peter learn martial arts, but his wealth of experience and given power set defeats the purpose of that.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    Ew, no. I remember they tried to have Peter learn martial arts, but his wealth of experience and given power set defeats the purpose of that.
    How exactly?

Because his powers are strength, speed, agility, reflexes, and instinct. The only one who could teach a fighting style that maximizes those abilities would have to know his powers better than him, and even then the spider sense is way better than trained defense.

Peter having huge experience and a good grade in A&P is best

Because his powers are strength, speed, agility, reflexes, and instinct. The only one who could teach a fighting style that maximizes those abilities would have to know his powers better than him, and even then the spider sense is way better than trained defense.

Captain America is the Avengers' h2h instructor despite several of them being way more powerful than him.

BANNED

Yet it's sloppy and leaves to many openings and advantages to Peter's opponents out smarting his spider sense which means without his greatest asset to back him up due to being adapted to a fighters skillset, he'll go down as good as he can react because Peter has no innate fighting mentality, he's just instinct and using his wits with precog.

He'd have to train for a good while to attempt to compensate for not using instinct. Aside from that, anyone dangerous enough to somehow outsmart his senses would be just as dangerous regardless. I haven't seen an example in comics where his natural instinct failed in a way that a labored effort would have succeeded.

Fighting like a spider beats fighting like a man. We're pretty much the worst fighters in nature, so we constantly compensate.

Cap can teach people who are stronger because strength doesn't really matter. Speed, agility, and precognition change things.

Also, fighting experience. Peter has been Spider-Man since he was a young teen.
    Last edited by Kuwagaton; 07-11-2015 at 02:54 PM.

BANNED

He'd have to train for a good while to attempt to compensate for not using instinct. Aside from that, anyone dangerous enough to somehow outsmart his senses would be just as dangerous regardless. I haven't seen an example in comics where his natural instinct failed in a way that a labored effort would have succeeded.

Fighting like a spider beats fighting like a man. We're pretty much the worst fighters in nature, so we constantly compensate.

Cap can teach people who are stronger because strength doesn't really matter. Speed, agility, and precognition change things.

Also, fighting experience. Peter has been Spider-Man since he was a young teen.
    Peter has experience but he lacks substance when he ages his form of fighting style. It's shown when Spider-Woman whooped Peter's butt despite having spider powers longer actively, he would have beaten up people without using Spidey sense because he's still part spider and knows how to use his spider coordination as second nature.

Lots of peak humans fight like superhuman self taught freestylers, Wolverine, Gorgon, Deadpool, Daredevil and Black Widow. These people have trained sense they were kids, so if they fought Peter in a straight up fight, they have the skill to exploit his spider sense and style. Plus Peter holds back which leaves them enough time to bring Parker to their level until they exploit a weakness.

I don't think there's any strong indication that those characters would really stop a Spider-Man with his head in the fight, especially not the street level characters or the ones with limited range.

Astonishing Member CrimsonEchidna's Avatar

Isn't that exactly what the whole "Way of the Spider" training did?

I will agree overall though, it's kind of redundant for Spider-Man anyway, if only because he really doesn't regularly fight martial artists like Batman. The grand majority of of Spider-Man's rogues are either Metahumans or tech-based.
    Last edited by CrimsonEchidna; 07-11-2015 at 03:52 PM.
    The artist formerly known as OrpheusTelos.

I don't know what the way of the spider is, but I'm saying in regards to a Laura style "your power different fighter" way. I don't think you can just have his powers plus some kung fu and manage to be a better Spider-Man.