Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Default Wonder Woman 42 Preview

http://comicbook.com/2015/07/20/excl...nder-woman-42/

What she does to the groping dancer doesn't seem too disproportionate, by comic book standards, but the facial expressions make me wonder if they're going to return to suggesting that being War gives her anger problems (which I thought the Finches did seem to be suggesting until Diana's chat with her mother's "ghost.") At first, I though it might be Donna.

I liked seeing her at the club again, and I liked her interaction with the homeless vet. I think it's a pretty good preview, all in all.
    Last edited by Silvanus; 07-20-2015 at 10:50 AM.

Spectacular Member

The groper looks like Steve Trevor from David Finch's JLA run, that is clearly Intentional

Also yeah for Diana and Hessia clubbing, dunno why but it's always nice to see the "people" behind the costume and codename

You know between this scene, the one with Orion and Hal calling 'dibs' on her in J.L, it just feels like the writers just want to show Diana is being objectified or sexually harassed without actually being thoughtful, sensitive or mature about it. She either ignores it or she ends the matter with violence. If you're not going to do anything meaningful with topics like this, then don't include them in your stories.

BANNED

I thought it was Donna too because of all the craze in her eyes and yes what she did to him was disproportionate and condemnable. It's one of those on-the-nose sensation comic male-jerk moments I wish stayed in sensation comics. But nice shoes, they look pretty painful, it's nice to see Wonder Woman in a civilian situation. However she was very lucky that arrow missed, maybe she needs invulnerability after all.
    Last edited by Aula_Magna; 07-20-2015 at 10:46 AM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Aula_Magna View Post
    However she was very lucky that arrow missed, maybe she needs invulnerability after all.
    LOL. Yes, I just added something about this to my last comment on the "should she be bullet-proof" thread.

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

Well, at least Diana didn't grab the butt-groper by the testicles and threaten to castrate him so I guess this is an improvement even though I think body-slamming him is a bit much for what he did. It's nice to see Hessia again. I hope Finch follows up on some of the plotlines that Soule started for her in SM/WW such as why she left Paradise Island.

And, oh hey, look.....the Cheetah finally appears on a Wonder Woman cover after 4+ years. Ditto for Artemis.
    Last edited by Dr. Poison; 07-20-2015 at 11:20 AM.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Silvanus View Post
    LOL. Yes, I just added something about this to my last comment on the "should she be bullet-proof" thread.
    Yeah but it's just Finch not knowing what the heck she's doing. Last month he mased Wonder Woman, she's quicker than an arrow, she should've seen it fly in super slow motion like Quicksilver in the Kitchen scene in Days of Future Past

I agree, with all of Wonder Woman's feat a normal arrow should not have surprised her. That being said I am curious as to one of the newest developments since the new52. There hasn't been much consistency with it, but technically Diana does not have on her bracelets. Shouldn't she then be in complete "God-Mode?" I understand she's in civilian clothes, but Perez almost always had her in her bracelets (even in civilian clothes), and she's wearing a Wonder Woman necklace, so it's not like she's hiding the fact and the bracelets would be that out of place. I saw this as well in Superman/Wonder Woman where she is wearing Superman's shirt.

In truth there isn't really a great way to explain her not wearing the bracelets, because almost any explanation would eliminate a fairly large character development, in terms of the bracelets keeping her "God-mode" in check.
    Last edited by DisneyWWfan; 07-20-2015 at 11:43 AM. Reason: changing a few words

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Poison View Post
    Well, at least Diana didn't grab the butt-groper by the testicles and threaten to castrate him so I guess this is an improvement ...
    Perhaps. On the other hand, A. Orion was a repeat offender; B. he was an invulnerable god, not a fragile mortal like Billy presumably was; C. what she did to Orion was only in front of family, not the public at a club, where it could have led to more violence; and D. at least before she abruptly introduced Orion to the floor, she fired a warning shot (the squeeze, accompanied by a kiss, which was apparently welcome until she turned up the pressure a little.)

But, yeah, I do wonder how many times we need to see Diana violently putting a groper or sexual harrasser in his place, without more meaningful followup (as Agent Z suggests). And I also agree that it would be great to get followup on Hessia and her departure from Paradise Island. I suppose we should focus on those points of agreement, rather than sliding into another thread on the the Great Squeeze of Issue 19.
    Last edited by Silvanus; 07-20-2015 at 12:13 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    You know between this scene, the one with Orion and Hal calling 'dibs' on her in J.L, it just feels like the writers just want to show Diana is being objectified or sexually harassed without actually being thoughtful, sensitive or mature about it. She either ignores it or she ends the matter with violence. If you're not going to do anything meaningful with topics like this, then don't include them in your stories.
    the scenes were very gratuitous, this one seemed to really try to be "kewl' and hipster like sensation and failed badly. Diana just acted super angry and it was just that.

Azzarello had wonder woman go into a rock n' roll club, much better to hang out

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyWWfan View Post
    I agree, with all of Wonder Woman's feat a normal arrow should not have surprised her. That being said I am curious as to one of the newest developments since the new52. There hasn't been much consistency with it, but technically Diana does not have on her bracelets. Shouldn't she then be in complete "God-Mode?" I understand she's in civilian clothes, but Perez almost always had her in her bracelets (even in civilian clothes), and she's wearing a Wonder Woman necklace, so it's not like she's hiding the fact and the bracelets would be that out of place. I saw this as well in Superman/Wonder Woman where she is wearing Superman's shirt.

In truth there isn't really a great way to explain her not wearing the bracelets, because almost any explanation would eliminate a fairly large character development, in terms of the bracelets keeping her "God-mode" in check.
    Look at Azz's final issue, though; at the end of her "I only have to be Diana" speech, she shuts down the "god mode" visual effects, while still not wearing the cuffs, in the middle of an intense battle. So it appears that her self-control may have grown to the point that she can suppress the extreme level of her godly power without having to rely on the cuffs.

Quote Originally Posted by Aula_Magna
    she should've seen it fly in super slow motion like Quicksilver in the Kitchen scene in Days of Future Past
    I don't know; I agree that he shouldn't have been able to mace her, of course, but in this issue, she wasn't looking, and she was giving her full attention to the homeless veteran. Surely you don't want her to have selective supersenses that allow her to see and hear the exact things she needs to see and hear; I know you've said you don't want her to be too much like a Superman imitation.
    Last edited by Silvanus; 07-20-2015 at 12:22 PM.

BANNED

I thought it was Donna too because of all the craze in her eyes and yes what she did to him was disproportionate and condemnable. It's one of those on-the-nose sensation comic male-jerk moments I wish stayed in sensation comics. But nice shoes, they look pretty painful, it's nice to see Wonder Woman in a civilian situation. However she was very lucky that arrow missed, maybe she needs invulnerability after all.
    the arrow is magical, so it better have wonder woman being more careful and competent

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Tayswift View Post
    the scenes were very gratuitous, this one seemed to really try to be "kewl' and hipster like sensation and failed badly. Diana just acted super angry and it was just that.

Azzarello had wonder woman go into a rock n' roll club, much better to hang out
    Yeah Azz's Wonder Woman went to small-band rock n roll gigs, this one went clubbing with her girlfriend in matching dresses, it's different

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Silvanus View Post
    I don't know; I agree that he shouldn't have been able to mace her, of course, but in this issue, she wasn't looking, and she was giving her full attention to the homeless veteran. Surely you don't want her to have selective supersenses that allow her to see and hear the exact things she needs to see and hear; I know you've said you don't want her to be too much like a Superman imitation.
    If I thought a sniper could gun down Wonder Woman from a building top, I'd probably change my mind. But I don't, for sure Wonder Woman would sense the bullet cut through the air and then she would just move out of its trajectory. No ordinary bullet would crack her skull anyway so a band aid should fix it. Someone like Veronica Cale would still have to design a pretty special gun to take out Wonder Woman just like the US military designed one to take out Superman. His invulnerability was to no avail.

BANNED

Yeah Azz's Wonder Woman went to small-band rock n roll gigs, this one went clubbing with her girlfriend in matching dresses, it's different
    the characters that Finch and Azzarello writes are very different