Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Poison View Post
    Well, at least Diana didn't grab the butt-groper by the testicles and threaten to castrate him so I guess this is an improvement even though I think body-slamming him is a bit much for what he did. It's nice to see Hessia again. I hope Finch follows up on some of the plotlines that Soule started for her in SM/WW such as why she left Paradise Island.

And, oh hey, look.....the Cheetah finally appears on a Wonder Woman cover after 4+ years. Ditto for Artemis.
    so how is this actually better than what she did to Orion? A god she couldn't actually do that much damage to after being repeated harassed? Seems far more volatile to me that she flung a regular, drunk, human male across a room ... she could have killed the dude.

I'm also happy to see Hessia again, some consistency is nice across titles.

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Darius View Post
    so how is this actually better than what she did to Orion? A god she couldn't actually do that much damage to after being repeated harassed? Seems far more volatile to me that she flung a regular, drunk, human male across a room ... she could have killed the dude.

Because, the issue with Orion made Diana a sex offender. I would rather see her hurl average humans around a room than see her commit sexual assault again.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

Astonishing Member

It must be a very small club if a few feet = "across the room." And there's no indication of him being seriously harmed, much less nearly dead. I'm sure Diana knows how to control her throws enough to not kill humans.

Hessia doesn't get to do much here, but, like you, I like that Finch is trying to include and incorporate all the various aspects of Diana's life from her various titles.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Silvanus View Post
    That would be my preference, too (though I tend to prefer the battle-skirt to pants for her uniform, when she's on duty). But, if this preview is fan service, at least it's not gratuitous fan service: it's not unprecedented for this character to go clubbing; it's not that strange for someone to enjoy going to more than one kind of club; and the clothes were reasonable to wear to this club. The kind of fan service I'd object to is the gratuitous kind, in which the character is made to pose awkwardly, act strangely, be proportioned freakishly, or dress inappropriately to the situation. If the character's just dressing up in a sexy way in situation in which someone similar to her might normally choose to dress up in a sexy way--well, what's really wrong with that? I don't want her to be made into a sexual object, but I do want her, as a subject, to be able to own her own sexuality.

I agree, though, that the dialogue (shake your head"?) is cheesy. I'v gotten to expect that in this book, but it's still not good.
    usually people who goes into rock n' roll/heavy metal clubs don't go on girly clubs that have to use a fine dress and heels. I hate when a character have something distinctive, then writers put her in a typical girly box
    for me still fan service, she could change quickly via magic and not need to fight on a sexy dress and heels

Quote Originally Posted by hotroddii View Post
    "HIIIIII-YAAAAAA"

Diana is channelling Miss Piggy!!!
    shhhh Miss Piggy is feminist
    Last edited by Tayswift; 07-21-2015 at 02:01 PM.

Because, the issue with Orion made Diana a sex offender. I would rather see her hurl average humans around a room than see her commit sexual assault again.
    then she was also sexually assaulted by both Orion and this nameless clubber ... personally I don't like seeing her abuse a normal humans, Orion had nothing but his pride injured, she could have killed this man easily.

Quote Originally Posted by Awonder View Post
    It must be a very small club if a few feet = "across the room." And there's no indication of him being seriously harmed, much less nearly dead. I'm sure Diana knows how to control her throws enough to not kill humans.

Hessia doesn't get to do much here, but, like you, I like that Finch is trying to include and incorporate all the various aspects of Diana's life from her various titles.
    ever been thrown a few feet on to a (presumably) hard floor? She did no more damage to this guy than she did to Orion, as was her intent. I'm trying to understand why this is somehow "better" than her attacking Orion.

then she was also sexually assaulted by both Orion and this nameless clubber ... personally I don't like seeing her abuse a normal humans, Orion had nothing but his pride injured, she could have killed this man easily.

Two wrongs don't make a right in the Orion case. Diana isn't some "Dog of War" from Apokolips/New Genesis. I expected her to have more class than that.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tayswift View Post
    usually people who goes into rock n' roll/heavy metal clubs don't go on girly clubs that have to use a fine dress and heels. I hate when a character have something distinctive, then writers put her in a typical girly box
    for me still fan service, she could change quickly via magic and not need to fight on a sexy dress and heels

shhhh Miss Piggy is feminist
    I've known plenty of women that like to go out to different types of places. It's not like her liking the club in Azzarello's run prohibits her from going somewhere else.

And the Miss Piggy comments are hilarious.

ever been thrown a few feet on to a (presumably) hard floor? She did no more damage to this guy than she did to Orion, as was her intent. I'm trying to understand why this is somehow "better" than her attacking Orion.
    I have been knocked to a hard floor - I'll take that over crushing my junk. She sexually assaulted Orion - I don't see how it's hard to understand that some don't want to see Diana go there.

And you're still trying to sell "she could have killed this guy?" But she didn't. There are no signs of harm to him. None. Nothing. Nada. She could have castrated Orion with a magic sword from her bracelet. But she didn't.

The complaints about this while defending Azzarello's WW seem really off to me.
    Last edited by Awonder; 07-21-2015 at 03:39 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by wagthedog View Post
    I went to scans-daily to get the pages we are talking about. Orion slaps Wonder Womans butt, Diana turns around and looks like she is going to do something about the situation as she says 'What the...', and then Zola (plot device) interuppts the interaction between the two of them before it went any further. Never liked that Diana didn't resolve the situation right away.
    Neither did it allow Orion any time for explanation, apology or bovine macho remark. My point stands that the scene did not suggest Diana was going to resort to violence because of this, and if I am quite honest; I think that if she was going to, she would just have done it, because that's what she did when Strife threatened Zola in #4.

Aside that, the first reply to the top post is pretty much what I am seeing in the situation: There were more pressing matters to deal with than Orion's idiocy and Diana's honor; saving a child that could be in mortal danger.

Two wrongs don't make a right in the Orion case. Diana isn't some "Dog of War" from Apokolips/New Genesis. I expected her to have more class than that.
    Great. Totally ignore the context before deciding Diana is taking part in a sexual assault.

She was simply speaking in a language that Orion would understand. He had clearly not been getting the message.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    Great. Totally ignore the context before deciding Diana is taking part in a sexual assault.

She was simply speaking in a language that Orion would understand. He had clearly not been getting the message.
    It's not ignoring the context; it is sexual assault to grab someone by their private parts to threaten them. Calling it "a language Orion would understand" does not change the fact it is sexual assault.

I'm not "ignoring the context". I simply didn't find the context to justify Diana's actions. As for her sexually assaulting him being "language he would understand", that's obviously incorrect as he started back up again the minute Diana released his junk. Only after Diana knocked him on his backside did he finally cool his jets. The sexual assault did nothing to resolve the situation.

I'm not "ignoring the context". I simply didn't find the context to justify Diana's actions. As for her sexually assaulting him being "language he would understand", that's obviously incorrect as he started back up again the minute Diana released his junk. Only after Diana knocked him on his backside did he finally cool his jets. The sexual assault did nothing to resolve the situation.
    There will almost never be a situation where "Answering Dumb With Dumb" will be totally justified. That's what it feels like you are ignoring. That you want this context to lead to something that is "Justifiable" in your eyes. It feels very "How much responsibility can we pin on a victim?" How wrong does something need to be for that to be a justifiable victim's response?

Even this guy getting a toss is something you seem to find fault with. Exactly how much further would the guy have needed to go before Diana's action was "Justifiable" in the context of the preview?

BANNED

I think we are taking comics to seriously. soon Orion and wonder woman will be on a SVU episode