Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default Ewing's "Contest of Champions" Pits Hero Against Hero in Battles to the Death

Al Ewing discusses bringing heroes and villains together across time and space for epic battles, and how their fights will affect the greater Marvel U.

Full article here.

Spectacular Member

Not again. Hero fighting hero to the death is lowest possible denominator of storytelling.

Ewing is almost on my "i will try anything from him" list so I will give this 2-3 issues
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

The title is a bit misleading. Heroes AND villains are going to be fighting one another to the death. So yes, you might see hero v. hero, but you also might see villain v. villain, hero v. villain, etc.

I'm going to have to cut something from my pull list, because with this it might be getting a little big. I swear no matter what Ewing writes, no matter how silly or crazy it may seem he can make it work. He has to be one of the best writers going into the new Marvel Universe.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Sounds good

BANNED

Finally, they're going to bring the ISO-8 into the comics.

BANNED

So is this where Gamorra is going to be since Bendis pretty much took her out of Guardians?

I'm wondering what this means for the storylines Peter David set up with the Maestro in Spider-Man 2099? Will they be dropped in favour of this series or will there be two Maestros?

Thrashing Like a Maniac! Gotham Thrasher's Avatar

Its nice to know this isn't just a video game tie -in and that it will have repercussions on (at the ver least) Ewing's other titles. Also interesting the fact this battle realm seems to be a leftover of secret wars. Perhaps there are other realms/domains/ even characters that are brought over and explains why Marvel doesn't want to reveal
    The other titles that are coming because they would spoil some of these other things that are happening.
    And then there were none...

Custom Binding Thread: http://community.comicbookresources....0645aadbab2369

The All Purpose Metal Thread : http://community.comicbookresources....5299bbaefeffe8

I have no interest in the game, but the concept, while far from original, is pretty fun.
    I thought the regulator contestants would be called Champions instead of Pawns. Missed opportunity to give a nod to that old team LOL
    I also wonder who are the Pawns and who's returning from the dead. Do we know of any regular MU characters besides Gamora, Silver Fox (I'm assuming she'll be from the main continuity), the British Punisher and Guillotine?

Fantastic Member

I love Al Ewing's writing, but I keep having troubling flashbacks of another Marvel Comics adaptation from a video game. Raise your hand if, like me, you were suckered into both the sub-par video game AND the crappy comic book series.
    4355999-marvel+nemesis+the+imperfects+1a.jpg
    Currently Reading: A handful of series that will be canceled soon.

I just had a thought: what if Ares is one of the characters brought back from the dead? As the god of war, he'd make so much sense in this series.
    There's also the fact an AU version on Sentry is already confirmed, so Ewing could be setting up a battle between Ares and a version of his killer. I hope I'm right
    I also hope Ewing brings back the Danielle Cage Captain America from his Ultron Forever specials. She was awesome and I would love for her to become a regular in some title. Since this book will be dealing with alternate universe characters, this could be a great place for her to get some more screen time.

Quote Originally Posted by Disco_Magic View Post
    I love Al Ewing's writing, but I keep having troubling flashbacks of another Marvel Comics adaptation from a video game. Raise your hand if, like me, you were suckered into both the sub-par video game AND the crappy comic book series.
    4355999-marvel+nemesis+the+imperfects+1a.jpg
    EA owns the Imperfects, so Marvel doesn't control anything about those characters anymore. The concept would've been fine as its own thing, without any Marvel characters involved.
    She is Kamala Khan... The Magnificent Ms. Marvel!

I don't really like the idea of heroes killing each other (reeks of Avengers Arena), but with Ewing as writer, I'm sure characters well be treated well.

Also, since it's now clear that it won't be a mere video game adaptation and that the overexposed heroes are not the main characters, I guess I'll buy it.