forging evil plans victorxd1999's Avatar

Default weekly collection reviews part 2

Older reviews:part 1

The review of this week!
    Thunderbolts by Warren Ellis & Mike Deodato ultimate collection!

The Thunderbolts have pretty much always been blessed with great writers, but my personal favorite is the short run by Warren Ellis. His run spawned directly from Civil war, and I know that will scare some of you off but even if you hated Civil war, I bet you'll love this. The plot is simple, ordered by Iron man, Norman Osborn assembles a team of ruthless villains and old Thunderbolts to hunt down unregistered superhumans. The team consists of Songbird, Moonstone, Venom (Gargan), Swordsman, Penance and Radioactive man with Bullseye as a fail safe as they hunt down D-list heroes like the Steel spider and Jack Flag. Now this may not sound very exciting, it is very exciting. Apart from the high, often very brutal action scenes (not for the faint of heart haha)
    this books shines because of the magnificent character moments. Every character has a shining moment. Ellis has every character down and gives fans of the character a big threat. You can clearly see Ellis utilising Osborn's insanity, Penance's guilt, Songbird's devotion to the team, Bullseye's ruthlessness, Swordsman's arrogance and anger, Moonstone's bitchiness and every character's attributes shine. And Deodato's art is just phenomenal. The run is collected in 2 trades, 2 hardcovers or 1 ultimate trade (just to mention, this is the first title I ever bought the trade of even though I already read the material, I had done this before with hardcovers but I wanted the full run so badly on the shelf I just bought the trade). It's a shame the run only lasted 12 issues but we did get a great experience. I recommend it to all fans of one pf the characters in the run, people who love Ellis' darker stuff, people who like Deodato and people who just love a darker high action run that really digs in the characters used
    Last edited by victorxd1999; 05-31-2014 at 05:35 AM.
    "You don't ever quit. Not even to your last drop of blood. You got folks relyin' on you then you just can't afford to." Sean Noonan-Hitman #47

I love these 12 issues soooo much. Ellis' Thunderbolts was one of my first introductions into modern Marvel and I enjoyed the hell out of it. In fact, without this run I might not be reading comics today.

Btw, next weeks review will be done by Diamond. I really appreciate the enthousiasm and help! Thanks
    "You don't ever quit. Not even to your last drop of blood. You got folks relyin' on you then you just can't afford to." Sean Noonan-Hitman #47

Astonishing Member Shinglepants's Avatar

I really enjoyed this run, short and sweet! I especially appreciated the use of American Eagle, Sepulchre, Steel Spider and Jack Flagg. I always enjoy it when underutilized and non A-List characters get a chance to shine. The fact that Bendis ran with it in Dark Avengers after Thunderbolts ended was a nice conciliation prize.

Quote Originally Posted by Shinglepants View Post
    I really enjoyed this run, short and sweet! I especially appreciated the use of American Eagle, Sepulchre, Steel Spider and Jack Flagg. I always enjoy it when underutilized and non A-List characters get a chance to shine. The fact that Bendis ran with it in Dark Avengers after Thunderbolts ended was a nice conciliation prize.
    Agree 100%.

My favorite part was all the venom cannibalism, followed by Norman having spider-man freak-outs

Quote Originally Posted by basbash99 View Post
    Agree 100%.

My favorite part was all the venom cannibalism, followed by Norman having spider-man freak-outs
    Agreed! Loved Osborn's paranoia, also really enjoyed Bullseye in iy, he's one crazy maniac

Astonishing Member Shinglepants's Avatar

Steel Spider, Man. No. Steel Spider. The Steel Spider. The Steel Spider Man. Steel. Spider. Man. Spider. Man. Heh

Norman having Spidey related freak-outs was awesome and especially the above bit.

Venoms cannibalism was pretty funny.

Quote Originally Posted by Shinglepants View Post
    Steel Spider, Man. No. Steel Spider. The Steel Spider. The Steel Spider Man. Steel. Spider. Man. Spider. Man. Heh

Norman having Spidey related freak-outs was awesome and especially the above bit.

Venoms cannibalism was pretty funny.
    That panel stuck with me for so long. Shows just how crazy and obsessed with Peter he is

Ellis made Doc Samson a huge bad-ass in that run, loved it.
    currently reading: Dept. H, Hellboy in Hell, Kaijumax, Moon Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch by Night View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch by Night View Post
    Despite how much I enjoyed his Hulk run, I'll never forgive Jeph Loeb for what he did to Doc Samson a year later. Ugh.