Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default Thread Drift: Norah Winters- The Millennial's Mary Jane

Quote Originally Posted by Zeitgeist View Post
    (We've already met her by the way. Her name is Norah Winters)
    Norah is just a Millennial version of 60s MJ.

(That's fine, but she's not all that "new" really.)

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Tuck View Post

Norah is a reporter trying to make a name for herself who happens to be flirty and has very little filter. She's closer to Lois Lane, if anything. Some MJ, I suppose, if we're only allowed per title to have so many young, flirty female characters.
    Last edited by cyberhubbs; 07-19-2015 at 09:35 AM.

Nah, Norah is too fun and interesting.
    Last edited by Zeitgeist; 07-21-2015 at 05:35 AM.
    ♪ღ♪*•.¸¸¸.•*¨ ¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪ღ♪¸.•*¨ ¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪ღ♪•*

♪ღ♪░NORAH░WINTERS░FOR░SPIDER-WAIFU░♪ღ♪

*•♪ღ♪*•.¸¸¸.•*¨ ¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪¸.•*¨ ¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪ღ♪•«

Nah, Norah is too fun and interesting.
    The exact same can be said for MJ, and she's been around longer .

Mary Plain hasn't been fun since she stopped doing LSD in the 70s
    Seriously though, I wouldn't conclude that how long someone has been around is necessarily a positive.
    Last edited by Zeitgeist; 07-19-2015 at 10:12 AM.

Mary Plain hasn't been fun since she stopped doing LSD in the 70s
    Seriously though, I wouldn't conclude that how long someone has been around is necessarily a positive.
    I'd never describe comic MJ as being plain, far from it, and that seems more accurate for some of Peter's other love interests, but okay...

I would think that a character being around for so long proves that, as characters, they have staying power and importance in the mythos and story of the titular character and book which is why they don't just fade away and ever leave the book completely. Not to mention why they often appear in media adaptions of said character.

Quote Originally Posted by cyberhubbs View Post
    Some MJ, I suppose, if we're only allowed per title to have so many young, flirty female characters.
    That's all MJ was in the 60s.

BANNED

That's all MJ was in the 60s.
    Sure. Norah iS a bit more than that, though.

Most supporting characters created in the last 20 years are more than what they would have been had they been created in the 60s.

She a fleshed-out, updated version of the trope.

A lot of BND was just updating old concepts. Martin Li as Norman. Lily as Harry.

BANNED

Most supporting characters created in the last 20 years are more than what they would have been had they been created in the 60s.

She a fleshed-out, updated version of the trope.

A lot of BND was just updating old concepts. Martin Li as Norman. Lily as Harry.
    Lily as Harry? I'm not seeing that one.

Suppose Li is an evil businessman.

Lily as Harry? I'm not seeing that one.
    Friend driven mad by goblin serum and secretly running around as a supervillain.

Suppose Li is an evil businessman.
    Li's not evil. He wasn't even aware of Mr. Negative for a long time. Jekyll and Hyde again.

Friend driven mad by goblin serum and secretly running around as a supervillain.

Li's not evil. He wasn't even aware of Mr. Negative for a long time. Jekyll and Hyde again.
    I wish they had kept it that way as it creates an interesting moral dilemma for any hero dealing with him. Mr. Negative is a horrible villain but Li is an innocent bystander, like the Lizard and Dr. Connors, who happens to share the same physical body. Is punishing or physically hurting Mr. Negative justified when Li who has done nothing wrong will share in those consequences?
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

BANNED

I...guess? Peter knew Lily, and I guess they were friends, but she was more of the potential flirty love interest who was secretly a supervillain.

So, hey, maybe she is a stand-in for Harry after all.

She was kinda more Harry's Harry.

While I think he wasn't aware for a while, pretty sure he knew by the time he made May go evil after she walked in on Li and his Inner Demons.

I need to go back and read up. 'Cause he explains to Peter a game he's having with a mysterious person, mighta been chess, but then the thing with May happened. Good reason to re-read the Mr. Negative mini again, I suppose.
    Last edited by cyberhubbs; 07-19-2015 at 02:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I would think that a character being around for so long proves that, as characters, they have staying power and importance in the mythos and story of the titular character and book which is why they don't just fade away and ever leave the book completely. Not to mention why they often appear in media adaptions of said character.
    It also shows how much ground has already been covered with them also, which can make them less pliable. In the end, how long a character has been around doesn't really count for much unless they can contribute to the story at hand. Which is why you haven't seen a supposed mainstay like Harry Osborn in a while but have newer supporting characters like Anna and Sajini.
    Also media wise, Gwen Stacy wasn't in the first two Spider-Man films and ended up appearing after Mary Jane. And on the flip-side, Mary Jane didn't turn up in the Amazing films at all. Not exactly guarantees.

Yeah, really. Norah is also hyperactive, irreverent, cavalier, not a "supermodel"...
    If flirty is grounds for similarity, may as well round up Tigra, She Hulk and Gambit also.

It also shows how much ground has already been covered with them also, which can make them less pliable. In the end, how long a character has been around doesn't really count for much unless they can contribute to the story at hand. Which is why you haven't seen a supposed mainstay like Harry Osborn in a while but have newer supporting characters like Anna and Sajini.
    Also media wise, Gwen Stacy wasn't in the first two Spider-Man films and ended up appearing after Mary Jane. And on the flip-side, Mary Jane didn't turn up in the Amazing films at all. Not exactly guarantees.
    If the ASM films are relevant at all (which they aren't), then Richard Parker is more important than J. Jonah Jameson.

Yeah, really. Norah is also hyperactive, irreverent, cavalier, not a "supermodel"...
    If flirty is grounds for similarity, may as well round up Tigra, She Hulk and Gambit also.
    Norah was basically MJ. Just as Carlie was essentially Gwen Stacy.