Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    forging evil plans victorxd1999's Avatar

Default Looking for noir-styled Marvel recommendations

I recently got a lot more into noir-style comics and loved things like Rucka's Punisher and Daredevil. I just got a new MU subscription thanks to the "one month for a penny" promo and was wondering what would be some good more noir styled Marvel comics. So less flashy superhero action and more street-level stuff (something like Rucka's Punisher and Bendis's/Brubaker's Daredevil). Can anybody help me out?
    "You don't ever quit. Not even to your last drop of blood. You got folks relyin' on you then you just can't afford to." Sean Noonan-Hitman #47

Marvel actually has an entire Noir alternate universe:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marvel_Noir

But in the main continuity, Daredevil actually goes Noir a LOT, but someone more knowledgeable than me about the character would have to help you with specific runs. another more recent example to check out may be the recent Moon Knight. Early issues of Peter David's X-Factor (the one with Madrox and Rictor and such) started out noir, because Jamie loved noir and saw himself as a noir style PI.
    Last edited by Raye; 07-21-2015 at 12:31 AM.

I've read a two Noir titles (DD and Iron Man) but DD wasn't anything out of the ordinary and Iron Man wasn't exactly very noir. Which Noir mini would you recommend?

And yeah I love the current Moon Knight run, especially Ellis's issues. Declan Shalvey is a genius!

And, as a huge DD fan, I've probably already read most of his good stuff, that's why I'm looking for a new Marvel noir fix.

Will definitely take a look at X-Factor, thanks!
    "You don't ever quit. Not even to your last drop of blood. You got folks relyin' on you then you just can't afford to." Sean Noonan-Hitman #47

Alias has quite strong noir influences, and early X-Factor vol 2 as Raye said.

Spider-Man Noir recently appeared in the Spider-Verse stories. (He even showed up in an episode of the Ultimate Spider-Man: Web Warriors cartoon on Disney XD.)

Quote Originally Posted by shgs View Post
    Alias has quite strong noir influences, and early X-Factor vol 2 as Raye said.
    Oh yeah, Alias, that one's been on my wish list forever. Why oh why can't they include MAX books on Marvel Unlimited.

Quote Originally Posted by victorxd1999 View Post
    Oh yeah, Alias, that one's been on my wish list forever. Why oh why can't they include MAX books on Marvel Unlimited.
    Might involve licensing issues on that one?

Lick on, sweet prince. Sea Hound's Avatar

The Madrox mini series by Peter David is great, and leads directly into the second run on X-Factor. It's very noir-ish in both art and writing. It's a good way of working out if the main series is for you.

I think the writing in that series was consistently really good for an amazingly long period of time, particularly the first 8 or 9 years worth.
    "Self has no time for this."

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Might involve licensing issues on that one?
    None of the MAX imprint books are available on MU because, technically, MAX isn't Marvel. Just like we won't be able to read Vertigo books if Dc ever created Dc Unlimited. It's a shame, since there are a lot of MAX books I'm interested in reading.

Mighty Member

David Liss wrote the pulp/noir comic Mystery Men, and then went on to write Black Panther: Man Without Fear. I love both of them. That couldn't convince him to do more is a shame, he definitely had the gritty street noir thing down.

Quote Originally Posted by scribbleMind View Post
    David Liss wrote the pulp/noir comic Mystery Men, and then went on to write Black Panther: Man Without Fear. I love both of them. That couldn't convince him to do more is a shame, he definitely had the gritty street noir thing down.
    Liss is actually a writer I've followed a bit recently. He did an amazing The Shadow graphic novel 1 or 2 years ago. You should check it out! And yeah, I loved Mystery Men.

Incredible Member

I know the feeling, I've been on a massive Noir kick ever since a combination of reading Spider-Man Noir & playing LA Noire when it was first released.

Personally I would suggest pretty much any of the Marvel Noir franchise, Madrox, X-Factor Vol 2., the current run of Moon Knight, Daredevil, etc. I don't know if it counts as Noir but I'm also going to say the last volume of Hawkeye by Matt Faction.

Extraordinary Member Omega Alpha's Avatar

Besides the usual suspects already mentioned (Daredevil, X-factor, Moon Knight, Alias, etc), Fraction's Hawkeye run does go into neo-noir mode- I mean, there's a character that's literally Elliot Gould's Phillip Marlowe- although it's a more humorous series.

Ed Brubaker's Captain America run also has clear noir influences (like pretty much all his work).

Fantastic Member Talkie Toaster's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by victorxd1999 View Post
    Strangely enough there are a few mislabeled issues of Punisher MAX by Ennis on MU. Look for Punisher 2004-2008
    Bah weep granah weep ninny bong

Incredible Member

Not sure, does Punisher count as Noir? Don't read the series so I don't know if I should recommend it.