Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Default Is this the end of Janet van Dyne aka the Wasp?

So, Wasp is probably one of the top ten most popular Avengers characters. She's grown a lot sense her debut. So, when a Ant-Man film was announced fans were excited at the possibility of seeing Janet on the big scree, but then it was revealed that Hank Pym is an old man and Janet is already dead in the film. Many fans (myself included), were very disappointed. What most people don't know was that Wasp was originally in Joss Whedon's first draft of the Avengers (she was more or less the main character), so it seems like she wasn't always going to be dead in the MCU. Now of course we will always have her in the comics. Or will we? We haven't seen her much sense AXIS and with her MCU counterpart already being dead, is it possible that poor Janet will be faded into the background? Will she be pushed aside sense she won't have the backing of the MCU? Maybe I'm being paranoid, but Marvel has shown that they wan't their comics to match the MCU as much as possible. Will they go as far as to phase out one of the founding Avengers?
    Last edited by William300; 06-27-2015 at 09:26 AM.

After AXIS she appeared in Rage of Ultron and now Marvel Zombies vs Age of Ultron with impressive big balloons, with a couple of background cameos here and there

Wasn't stock as an Avenger has definitely declined in recent years. That said I don't think she'll ever be completely phased out.

Bluebird

She'll likely be under the radar, being overshadowed by the "movie-ready" Avengers.

Janet's fine. Her story isn't yet over in Uncanny Avengers, and he keeps bringing it up.

That, and she only recently got back from her turn on the 'dramatic death for sales' wheel. I don't imagine she's on the chopping block any time soon.
    Freedom is the ability to live without fear of persecution.

Astonishing Member The_Greatest_Username's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    Wasn't stock as an Avenger has definitely declined in recent years. That said I don't think she'll ever be completely phased out.
    That's likely to be it. I'm almost wondering if they're going to retire her so they can introduce a Wasp more similar to Hope van Dyne who's probably going to assume the mantle.
    That's only a possibility but it is a worry of mine.

Bluebird

Quote Originally Posted by klinton View Post
    Janet's fine. Her story isn't yet over in Uncanny Avengers, and he keeps bringing it up.

That, and she only recently got back from her turn on the 'dramatic death for sales' wheel. I don't imagine she's on the chopping block any time soon.
    She pretty much won't be dying in the comics, but be very much ignored throughout (she's already being left out of most merchandising these days).

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by William300 View Post
    So, Wasp is probably one of the top ten most popular Avengers characters. She's grown a lot sense her debut. So, when a Ant-Man film was announced fans were excited at the possibility of seeing Janet on the big scree, but then it was revealed that Hank Pym is an old man and Janet is already dead in the film. Many fans (myself included), were very disappointed. What most people don't know was that Wasp was originally in Joss Whedon's first draft of the Avengers (she was more or less the main character), so it seems like she wasn't always going to be dead in the MCU. Now of course we will always have her in the comics. Or will we? We haven't seen her much sense AXIS and with her MCU counterpart already being dead, is it possible that poor Janet will be faded into the background? Will she be pushed aside sense she won't have the backing of the MCU? Maybe I'm being paranoid, but Marvel has shown that they wan't their comics to match the MCU as much as possible. Will they go as far as to phase out one of the founding Avengers?
    I am looking forward to confirmation that 616 Janet van Dyne is dead so I can type; R.i.p. 616 Janet van Dyne 1963-2015
    Gimme the counterpart Arcadia Janet van Dyne post Secret Wars marvel comics.

I don't think she's going anywhere. Marvel has done some truly ridiculous things in recent years to sync up with the movies, but that was mostly for characters who looked nothing like their film counterparts. They made the radical design changes to Hawkeye and Nick Fury because they looked absolutely nothing like their onscreen counterparts. Hope Van Dyne on the other hand more or less looks more or less like Jan, right down to the bob haircut.

Quote Originally Posted by 616MarvelYear is LeapYear View Post
    I am looking forward to confirmation that 616 Janet van Dyne is dead so I can type; R.i.p. 616 Janet van Dyne 1963-2015
    I don't know why you keep spamming the boards talking about the 616 heroes being dead but the Wasp is still around post-Secret Wars. She was in the Rage of Ultron gn which happens after SW, and she was still mentioned as being a founding member of the team in the All-New, All-Different Avengers issue.
    Last edited by Joe Acro; 06-28-2015 at 08:31 AM. Reason: Language

BANNED

Theres something I just realized, Janet is being replaced by her daughter Hope in the films, in the comics she has a time displaced daughter named Katie. Maybe they'll end up replacing Jan with an adult Katie.

Quote Originally Posted by Stars & Stripes View Post
    She pretty much won't be dying in the comics, but be very much ignored throughout (she's already being left out of most merchandising these days).
    What? There has been two Janet action figures in the past year alone. That's equal to the two that had been released in the prior fifty years (one of which was the gawd awful insect Janet from 'The Crossing').

She's fine.
    Freedom is the ability to live without fear of persecution.

Theres something I just realized, Janet is being replaced by her daughter Hope in the films, in the comics she has a time displaced daughter named Katie. Maybe they'll end up replacing Jan with an adult Katie.
    Probably not. If they were gonna kill her off for the synergy (which as I said I don't think they'll be doing) Katie still doesn't really solve matters.

The Ant-Man franchise in general seems to be one they aren't terribly concerned about connecting to the movies. Hank Pym is not a bearded old man in the comics and they didn't retcon Tony Stark into building Ultron instead of him, and the movies certainly didn't have some weird plot point about Hank merging with Ultron.
    Last edited by Holt; 06-27-2015 at 11:12 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    I don't think she's going anywhere. Marvel has done some truly ridiculous things in recent years to sync up with the movies, but that was mostly for characters who looked nothing like their film counterparts. They made the radical design changes to Hawkeye and Nick Fury because they looked absolutely nothing like their onscreen counterparts. Hope Van Dyne on the other hand more or less looks more or less like Jan, right down to the bob haircut.

616 Wasp is still around post-Secret Wars. She was in the Rage of Ultron gn which happens after SW, and she was still mentioned as being a founding member of the team in the All-New, All-Different Avengers issue.
    Is 616 Janet van Dyne still alive in the domain 616 Manhattan? If that is so than it makes sense that in Rage of Ultron the Janet van Dyne featured in it is the 616 Janet van Dyne if Rage of Ultron does indeed take place post Secret Wars.

I usually freak out so eaisly about stuff but she had a couple action figures, she is close to getting released as a playable character in Marvel Heroes. She has appeared in 4 secret wars titles, 2 with word baloons, she appeared in an OGN jsut recently and had a pretty big story arc last year in Uncanny Avengers.

Not to mention she will have a minute or 2 screen time in Ant-Man and she will be wearing a Wasp suit. That's better than I imagined.

Sure, she is not one of the big league characters but she is not ignored.

So, when a Ant-Man film was announced fans were excited at the possibility of seeing Janet on the big screen, but then it was revealed that Hank Pym is an old man and Janet is already dead in the film. Many fans (myself included), were very disappointed.
    We know that Wasp will appear in flashback in the film, and they've been cagey about what exactly happened to her in interviews, so I'd say it's too soon to assume she'll have no impact on the MCU.