Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by suemorphplus209 View Post
    What they do is run on Black and White morality. It doesn't fly with a lot of people when you have characters like Wolverine who despite being an incredibly violent character, yes, even he does act tender sometimes. Good and Evil isn't a straight-up line. It is dated though, and I appreciate that even though it is Elseworlds, it does show that you have a set of characters who are complicated, but still protagonists. I am a little shocked, and you are not alone in your feelings of frustration, but then again, I am the type of guy who doesn't like seeing a "Superman" get killed off. I stopped being an active collector because they killed and zombified Kal-L, which remains to this day a low point for what DC ever did to a Superman character.

If this is some kind of tribute thread, here's an image right here for Hernan:

Attachment 36864
    Great picture! Thanks for posting it.

I agree with your assessment on the "black and white" aspect of morality. There's a place for that, especially with Superman. However, DC has shown in recent years that they're not very good at telling stories around that concept. I think after All-Star Superman, DC has struggled to make that concept interesting. We now live in an era where some of the best story emerge out of morally gray areas, like Civil War and Secret Wars. That's an area that Hernan can navigate better than almost any other DC character at this point. I'd argue he can do it a lot better than most Marvel characters as well, who have a nasty habit of stumbling and screwing up when they try to navigate those morally gray areas. Just look at what it's done to Tony Stark. I think Hernan has more perspective than most of those characters because of his background and how he sees himself and his world.

It's not an overly complicated perspective either, which often happens when so-called "anti-heroes" are developed. Hernan Guerra simply experienced a harsher version of the world than Clark Kent ever did. He experienced it, but he still became Superman. That says a lot about him. With Clark, we see one too many stories where he makes one mistake and that somehow sends him over the edge, making him evil beyond redemption. It's too much of an all-or-nothing prospect that undercuts too many Superman stories. With Hernan, he doesn't hide from his flaws or let them define him. He finds ways to become stronger as a result of them. He somehow finds a way to be Superman despite those flaws and in my view, that's what makes him all the more awesome.
    Join me on the official website for X-men Supreme, home of Marvel Universe 1015. Want a fresh take on X-men? Click below to enter the official home of Marvel at it's most Supreme!

Or if you want, check out my YouTube channel, Jack's World.

This thread does make me want to go reread the Gods and Monsters tie-ins. Good job.

tumblr_nrhtsoWmVb1rcb6pto1_500.jpg

I stumbled upon a fan cast for the movie once so who would you cast as Hernan and the rest?

There arent many Gods and Monsters fanfics so that leads me to ask where would you like them to go next with the characters?
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 06-19-2016 at 12:48 PM.

Incredible Member suemorphplus209's Avatar
    Someplace where there's many, many, trees...

Here's the trailer for the flick. I think it's great that they essentially made an Elseworlds in video. Hopefully this is just the first of many times they go to Elseworlds with DC in their animation department.

Astonishing Member DieHard200904's Avatar

Been out of commission for a while, but has anyone seen the animated shorts on youtube and IGN? I think Hernan's prequel short was pretty nice.

Quote Originally Posted by DieHard200904 View Post
    Been out of commission for a while, but has anyone seen the animated shorts on youtube and IGN? I think Hernan's prequel short was pretty nice.
    It was my favorite of the three, very poignant and it flips the assumptions people on Hernan being just the Dark Superman on its head.

the big twist was how much he cared. Hernan reminds me more of the recent incarnations of Dr. Who in how he acts. Good aint always easy or nice.

the only flaw was that he could have tried harder to convince the kid Braniac to get his powers under control and keep living. I do want to reread his prequel comic soon.

It was the best IMO. Second best was Kirk as Batman.

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    This thread does make me want to go reread the Gods and Monsters tie-ins. Good job.

I stumbled upon a fan cast for the movie once so who would you cast as Hernan and the rest?

There arent many Gods and Monsters fanfics so that leads me to ask where would you like them to go next with the characters?
    I would think that maybe Emma Stone would be alright as Bekka, and "Dexter" as live action Kirk would be interesting. I mean Dexter Morgan being a vampire isn't that far off. I just have a hard time thinking about who should be Hernan. Maybe if Michael Shannon has a kid or something, just do some wierd time travel thing?

Another great pic. Really like the color scheme there. Kind of reminds me of Michael Turner's style when he did Batman/Superman comics.

The timing is nice too because I recently purchased the entire Gods and Monsters compilation from Barns and Noble. It's a nice addition to my collection and the perfect book for reading on the beach or by the pool. It's pretty much all we have right now besides the movie. Nobody has tried to do any fan fiction with this series yet, although I certainly have some ideas. I once joked on Twitter that if Bekka existed in the Marvel universe, she and Wolverine would be married by now.

But aside from typical crossover gimmicks, I think there's plenty of potential for this idea, especially with Hernan. If I were to write a fan fiction story, I'd try to set it up like the Bruce Timm Superman cartoon, one where he arrives in Metropolis and tries to find his place in it. However, that place is not the same as Clark Kent. Being a migrant, I don't see him working as a reporter or just blending in. I see him as a guy who would live in the darker areas of the city, interacting with those at the lowest end of the social ladder. It's part of who he is. The movie didn't really explore what Hernan did when he wasn't being Superman. I think that's worth exploring, even if it's just in fan fiction.
    Join me on the official website for X-men Supreme, home of Marvel Universe 1015. Want a fresh take on X-men? Click below to enter the official home of Marvel at it's most Supreme!

It was my favorite of the three, very poignant and it flips the assumptions people on Hernan being just the Dark Superman on its head.

the big twist was how much he cared. Hernan reminds me more of the recent incarnations of Dr. Who in how he acts. Good aint always easy or nice.

the only flaw was that he could have tried harder to convince the kid Braniac to get his powers under control and keep living. I do want to reread his prequel comic soon.
    Agreed. I really liked how that short highlighted the differences between Hernan and Clark. Clark would've tried to save those kids on the bus first. Hernan, however, remained focused on the task at hand. And when the situation called for him to make a hard choice, he made it without hesitation. That's what sets him apart. That's what makes him a different kind of Superman, but he's still Superman in that he saves the day. He just does it in a different way.

As much as I liked that short though, I still thought the one with Wonder Woman was the best. I thought she really stole the show in the movie and I'd love to see her show up again at some point. Just my opinion.

Have any of you been able to catch the DC Animated movies on Netflix? Any idea if they might eventually get Gods and Monsters on there? They just put up Flashpoint Paradox and JL War, so maybe Gods and Monsters might just come eventually?

The DC Animated movies come out two years after their video release for Netflix and/or Amazon Prime. That means later this year Throne of Atlantis will be on Netflix, and summer of next year they will put out Gods and Monsters. Check Netflix by doing a search for a title of a movie once per month, you won't likely miss them that way.

I would think that maybe Emma Stone would be alright as Bekka, and "Dexter" as live action Kirk would be interesting. I mean Dexter Morgan being a vampire isn't that far off. I just have a hard time thinking about who should be Hernan. Maybe if Michael Shannon has a kid or something, just do some wierd time travel thing?
    I could probably see the VA come and reprise their roles. I think someone wanted Joe mangellio to play Hernan, anyone think he could do it? He played Flash in the Raimi Spidey flicks.
    Quote Originally Posted by MarvelMaster616 View Post
    Another great pic. Really like the color scheme there. Kind of reminds me of Michael Turner's style when he did Batman/Superman comics.

The timing is nice too because I recently purchased the entire Gods and Monsters compilation from Barns and Noble. It's a nice addition to my collection and the perfect book for reading on the beach or by the pool. It's pretty much all we have right now besides the movie. Nobody has tried to do any fan fiction with this series yet, although I certainly have some ideas. I once joked on Twitter that if Bekka existed in the Marvel universe, she and Wolverine would be married by now.

But aside from typical crossover gimmicks, I think there's plenty of potential for this idea, especially with Hernan. If I were to write a fan fiction story, I'd try to set it up like the Bruce Timm Superman cartoon, one where he arrives in Metropolis and tries to find his place in it. However, that place is not the same as Clark Kent. Being a migrant, I don't see him working as a reporter or just blending in. I see him as a guy who would live in the darker areas of the city, interacting with those at the lowest end of the social ladder. It's part of who he is. The movie didn't really explore what Hernan did when he wasn't being Superman. I think that's worth exploring, even if it's just in fan fiction.
    I wanted to explore the montage of how he spent the years after he left his family but before he's in mexico fighting the cartel. Thought it might have some fun stories and some new takes on classic superman villians/supporting cast. I wanted to mentor a middle eastern kid with superpowers of a magic origin, just thought it would be a good way to see how he would handle the whole mentor gig.

Quote Originally Posted by MarvelMaster616 View Post
    Agreed. I really liked how that short highlighted the differences between Hernan and Clark. Clark would've tried to save those kids on the bus first. Hernan, however, remained focused on the task at hand. And when the situation called for him to make a hard choice, he made it without hesitation. That's what sets him apart. That's what makes him a different kind of Superman, but he's still Superman in that he saves the day. He just does it in a different way.

As much as I liked that short though, I still thought the one with Wonder Woman was the best. I thought she really stole the show in the movie and I'd love to see her show up again at some point. Just my opinion.
    Bekka is interesting because I don't think dark is the best way to describe her. Dark fits Hernan and Kirk but for Bekka she feels less restrained than WW. Diana has a lot of responsibilities because of her position and heritage so she feels she has her reputation and the reputation of her people. Bekka is on her own and that allows her more freedom to let her hair down. She's still affected by what happened at her wedding so maybe she's just unwinding through her adventures?

Joe Mangellio could totally do it. Just had my mind blanked out there. Basically, I get in a pickle here because when I hear Hernan, I think Zod, and think of the possible Father -Son resemblance there.

Hernan fanfiction - One idea is that alternate versions of Superman villains join with the drug cartels for a bit, similar to how certain villains team up with mobsters or Intergang in Metropolis, so some variation on MetallO does a gig with the Cartels since Hernan has been hunting their businese, as just one example.
    Last edited by DieHard200904; 07-02-2016 at 07:40 PM.

Joe Mangellio could totally do it. Just had my mind blanked out there. Basically, I get in a pickle here because when I hear Hernan, I think Zod, and think of the possible Father -Son resemblance there.

Hernan fanfiction - One idea is that alternate versions of Superman villains join with the drug cartels for a bit, similar to how certain villains team up with mobsters or Intergang in Metropolis, so some variation on MetallO does a gig with the Cartels since Hernan has been hunting their businese, as just one example.
    Sounds like a cool idea to me.

Default Here's young Hernan right here...