Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Switching over to Marvel: Carnage and Thunderbolt TPB question

Hey, long time reader, first time poster.

I've been a collector of mostly DC TPBs for a long time now, and finally decided that I want to really explore Marvel more for a while. (Dont want to start THAT debate. I like both, but I tend to focus more on one at a time to get the whole universe's picture).

My problem is that 2 of the main books I want are kind of unavailable. The first is the Thunderbolts vol 1, which is way out of my price range at $40-100.

http://www.amazon.com/Thunderbolts-V.../dp/0785166947

My question is: WHY is it so expensive and can I get it for cheaper (besides digital)? I mean, I get that it's a popular series with a great lineup, but it's a paperback of only 6 issues and is only 2 years old. Surely I can get it for $20 somewhere?

Secondly, I really wanted to get some Carnage books, as recent as possible. The best one I could find is this book of the limited 2010-2011 series, but I can't actually find it anywhere online. Nothing is selling it or even mentions it.

http://marvel.wikia.com/Category:Carnage_Vol_1

My question is: Do you know where I can buy this? Was it digital only or something? (Didn't even find it in digital form). Can you recommend any other Carnage TPBs that are good and fairly recent?

Was thinking about getting Deadpool vs Carnage but not sure yet. Anyway, thanks in advance for your input.

http://www.amazon.com/Carnage-Family...GAT0439QP1C7XK

I *think* that may be the carnage TPB your looking for.

Cool, thanks. I kept searching "carnage vol 1" instead of "carnage family feud." Can't wait to read it.

Just to let anyone know who may have the same problem with the Thunderbolts TPB, I ended up calling all my local bookstores, and Half Priced Books had one for $7.99 in Minnesota that they're now shipping to me

Just a reminder to always call you book stores.

And if anyone has any recommendations for what Marvel books I should read, feel free to make suggestions. I enjoy the more adult, somewhat darker genre of comics, so anything in that area would be preferable.

Check out Uncanny X-Force Vol. 1. It's darker and more violent than average, and is considered one of the stronger runs from the past decade.

All-New, All-Different Mighty Roman's Avatar

If you enjoy Carnage: The Family Feud, then you may enjoy it's sequel miniseries,Carnage U.S.A., Minimum Carnage (which is also a Venom/Scarlet Spider crossover) and Superior Carnage.
    Currently Reading in Single Issues/Trades:
    Marvel:Hulk (NOW), Ant-Man (NOW), Avengers: Time Runs Out,
    DC:Earth 2, Superman: Earth One, The Flash,
    Titan: Doctor Who: The Tenth Doctor, Doctor Who: Four Doctors,
    Upcoming:
    Secret Wars: Planet Hulk, The Last Days of Ant-Man, House of M,
    Marvel:Totally Awesome Hulk, Astonishing Ant-Man, Carnage,
    DC:Earth 2: Society,
    Titan:Doctor Who: The Tenth Doctor Year 2, Doctor Who: The Eighth Doctor,
    Co-Editor of CBR's Age of Marvel Amazing Line

Fantastic Member Talkie Toaster's Avatar

It's not just the Thunderbolts TPB, every time a TPB goes out of stock with amazon the price by third party vendors skyrockets.
    Bah weep granah weep ninny bong

Thanks for the suggestions. They definitely look like my kind of comics.

Quote Originally Posted by Talkie Toaster View Post
    It's not just the Thunderbolts TPB, every time a TPB goes out of stock with amazon the price by third party vendors skyrockets.
    Ok, cool. I'm glad I at least know what made them skyrocket. I'm going to keep tabs on Amazons stock now for books that I start to fall behind on.

I do not recommend that particular Thunderbolts TPB, it's really, really terrible. You can't go wrong with the Busiek/Bagley run contained on the Classics or Ellis/Deodato run.

The only Thunderbolts I've ever read was the Ellis/Deodato run, and I loved it. Fun stuff.

Don't know a lot about recent Carnage comics, but I can tell you that the "Minimum Carnage" crossover between Scarlet Spider and Venom was not good. Avoid it!

If you want more mature comics, Si Spurrier's run on X-Men: Legacy is probably one of the greatest runs (of anything) I've ever read. It's almost like a series under DC's Vertigo imprint - mature themes, quirky art, mostly self-contained, and just really (really) well-written. I can't recommend it enough.

-Pav, who is also loving all the comics he currently reads...
    You were Spider-Man then. You and Peter had agreed on it. But he came back right when you started feeling comfortable.
    You know what it means when he comes back

"You're not the better one, Peter. You're just older."
    --------------------
    Closet full of comics? Consider donating to my school! DM for details

Quote Originally Posted by CIA View Post
    I do not recommend that particular Thunderbolts TPB, it's really, really terrible. You can't go wrong with the Busiek/Bagley run contained on the Classics or Ellis/Deodato run.
    That's a bummer. The roster is so perfect that I had really high hopes for it. Do you know if it gets better at all in the subsequent volumes?

I'll def check out those runs as well.
    Current Books: Suicide Squad, Secret Six, Wonder Woman, Harley Quinn, Thunderbolts, Thor, Angela, Storm, Elektra

More eldritch than thou Venomous Mask's Avatar

Family Feud and USA are the best modern Carnage stories, imo. Deadpool vs. Carnage is fun but not all that serious (which is to be expected). Minimum Carnage is okay, though I would only recommend it for hardcore fans. Superior Carnage was cool but it was too much of a Wizard story for my taste.
    "I should describe my known nature as tripartite, my interests consisting of three parallel and disassociated groups; a) love of the strange and the fantastic, b) love of abstract truth and scientific logic, c) love of the ancient and the permanent. Sundry combinations of these strains will probably account for my...odd tastes, and eccentricities."

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LadyLutece View Post
    That's a bummer. The roster is so perfect that I had really high hopes for it. Do you know if it gets better at all in the subsequent volumes?

I'll def check out those runs as well.
    Honestly, no. Charles Soule takes over midway, but it's easily his weakest title he's released for the big 2 comic companies. Were you reading thunderbolts for a particular character or something?

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    Honestly, no. Charles Soule takes over midway, but it's easily his weakest title he's released for the big 2 comic companies. Were you reading thunderbolts for a particular character or something?
    Not really, it's more the combination of them. I can't stand half the members on the Suicide Squad, so a perfect roster was appealing. I do love Venom, Elektra, and Deadpool though.

And yeah, I noticed it switched to Soule, who I haven't read a lot of, but I was really impressed with his brief run on Superman/Wonder Woman.
    Current Books: Suicide Squad, Secret Six, Wonder Woman, Harley Quinn, Thunderbolts, Thor, Angela, Storm, Elektra

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by LadyLutece View Post
    Not really, it's more the combination of them. I can't stand half the members on the Suicide Squad, so a perfect roster was appealing. I do love Venom, Elektra, and Deadpool though.

And yeah, I noticed it switched to Soule, who I haven't read a lot of, but I was really impressed with his brief run on Superman/Wonder Woman.
    Who knows, you might like it. Everybody has their own tastes, and the book did have some fans. It got off to a slow start, and when the writing improved,
    the art became inconsistent and mostly bad. You might like Thunderbolts Vol 1 (1997-2003) better. From the first issue to #75 is really entertaining. Don't bother
    with 76-81, though. The less said about them, the better.