Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Oh, My, God.

Connection to prior issue, Satan smells a Rat...Should have known it.
    Good chance to give a quick glance to that issue.

Quote Originally Posted by mladja48 View Post
    They are very similar to "Get the Lobster" and although they are in the same universe as Hellboy and B.P.R.D. they don't have any connections to them because the Lobster Johnson series is happening during the 40's. So it's impossible for Hellboy to appear.
    You never heard of time travel?

I haven't bought Hellboy in decades (since the early 1990s), but I did get the five issues of Itty Bitty Hellboy, where I also saw Lobster Johnson.

I keep hearing about this "pulp" influence in Lobster Johnson, so I picked up Get the Lobster! parts 1 and 2 today when I was at the comic book shop to give a try and see how it goes. (I can use some good pulp-type books since Black Beetle keeps getting delayed and Dynamite seems to be winding down that line of titles.)

All-New Member

If they put in time travel than **** the whole franchise is becoming more like DC and Marvel in my eyes. I mean really, you read a LJ issue and suddenly there's Hellboy emerging from a portal or something ? I'd still read it but i would lose some of that faith I have in them as writers.

Hellboy got to meet Lobster Johnson just once, in the moments before his second death in Conqueror Worm. I think that's the only time he ever will too.

Here's Mignolaversity's review of the latest issue. I enjoyed it more than they did though. I'd give it an 8.5. Any way, I want to talk about stuff, so spoilers now...

So, Boyer Emerson has been revealed to be Dr Waxman, who is working with the Cossaro brothers. Those names sound familiar? They should. In The Iron Prometheus (set in 1937, nearly three years after this story), Dr Waxman and a goon with a mechanical crab arm tried to kill the Lobster in revenge for an incident in which the Lobster had blown up Dr Waxman's lab and left him for dead. The Lobster also went on to murder his allies, the Cossaro brothers.

Get the Lobster is clearly that backstory.

Furthermore, Dr Waxman has a cyborg ape, very similar to the ones Herman von Klempt created... except this story is set in 1934 and von Klempt doesn't create his first kriegaffe ("war ape") until 1935.

Interestingly in The Iron Prometheus, Dr Waxman mentioned that after he was left for dead by the Lobster during their previous encounter, he joined the Nazis. It seems he and von Klempt may have worked together from 1935 to 1937, which was when the war ape project was at its height. It was also when von Klempt nearly died in a laboratory explosion, but was saved as a head in a bell jar.

Given the resurfacing of von Klempt and Kroenen in The Reign of the Black Flame, this could mean... Well, I don't know. But it could mean something.

Plus this was just a cool issue from start to finish. I loved it.

All-New Member

It's nice to discover that a series that originally seemed like a bunch of self-contained stories actually have a lot of continuity threads between them. Shouldn't come as so much of a surprise to me, given that they're all about the same guy--but seeing the same bad guys is too cool!

This issue was well worth the wait.

Tonci Zonjic's still working...

Looks good, doesn't it?
    Last edited by middenway; 07-09-2014 at 04:18 PM.

I loved the final issue. It was one where I finished it with a big grin on my face... and then realised I had to some how keep it to myself! I'm very glad this one is finally out.

The Claw of Justice!

This book was so good. I can't wait for the next Lobster adventure. Hopefully we'll get one soon.

I think you'll be waiting a while. There is certainly more on the way, but it takes time to come together. I wonder if there will be a bunch of shorter stories by different artists again in between the larger arcs, like the stuff in the Satan Smells a Rat collection. I wonder when the Lobster is going to go to Chicago...

The Claw of Justice!

Spoiler for Get the Lobster #5

I just thought of a question involving the Lobster: How does Wald benefit from having the pirate Lobster's hand? I'm just curious as to how having it actually helps him.

Spectacular Member

Given Silog's connections to people with supernatural abilities I suspect we'll be seeing him bring in another ringer.

Quote Originally Posted by LobsterJohnson View Post
    This book was so good. I can't wait for the next Lobster adventure. Hopefully we'll get one soon.
    Has anybody heard if another arc / single issue story of Lobster Johnson is coming any time soon?

The Claw of Justice!

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Has anybody heard if another arc / single issue story of Lobster Johnson is coming any time soon?
    I asked about that at Scott Allie's AMA on Reddit, and he said that there are some longer miniseries and one shots coming. I don't know when these will come out though; hopefully soon.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    There's stuff in the pipeline, but there hasn't been any announcements.