Super Moderator

Default In Your Face Jam - Jul 22, 2015

With its unique and personal third act, Brett White hopes future Marvel movies will take a chance when it comes to endings.

Full article here.

Wow a positive Ant-Man article on CBR... The last few days had convinced me that Ant-Man was the most racially insensitive and sexist flim that Marvel ever created.

I pretty much only skimmed after the comment about Hope, who was probably one of the most interesting characters in the MCU (and probably the most intriguing female tied with Peggy, May, and Wanda). This was her origin story as much as it was Scott's.

Your point about why your family enjoyed the movie is a key one –*it's why I really enjoyed the movie too, even as a comics film stalwart (and so an easier mark). As you note, the key is make certain that the rising stakes are personal stakes. The conflict has to be that impacts and changes the character(s) at the heart of the story; special effects and X crashing into Y aren't a substitute for resolving character drama.

Also, as you note, I loved the difference in scale –*pretty clearly deliberately so –*of the final battle. Seeing the train set flying around (including watching Cross and Lang reacting to the scale of the toys) and then seeing the zoom-out to the objects lightly bouncing was a great physics gag, as well as a nice 'scale-down' of the massive violence of other action films; the damage to a child's bedroom with the callout to a single hole in the roof was also a smart piece of comparative writing. It let the movie have the big "superhero movie final battle!" without detracting from what had been set up from the heart of the film by cleverly taking simple advantage of the physics that the protagonist's and antagonist's powers shared.

(As for your examples of X crashing into Y, the one that I give a pass to is THE WINTER SOLDIER, since that movie both had good character-drama climaxes in Steve/Bucky and Natasha/Fury/Pierce alongside the action, and the destruction actively served to visibly mark S.H.I.E.L.D.'s implosion, while that destruction was kept to the Triskelion – a different creature than the citywide destruction & trauma of some of the other examples)

Waiting to Take Over... Charles J. Baserap's Avatar

Lost me when it said it agreed with the ignorant rant on Hope Van Dyne the last article presented...

BANNED

Sorry Brett, but a big part of Marvel's next phase is going to involve the Infinity Wars, and we all know that Thanos likes to cause a lot of damage when he comes to town.