All-New Member

Default Where to begin???? New 2015 comic fan???

Hey guys I've always been a fan of the whole superhero universe, both marvel and DC. However recently I've become a lot more interested in the comic side of superheroes(DC) and would like to start diving into them. The problem is I have no idea on how to know where to begin. I am more interested in starting at a more recent time frame but I feel like I will be lost all the time since I won't know what has happened in the past? I just need some help as to where to begin or how to know what to read next? Do I start by diving into events that have taken place recently or do I start with people like Superman and Batman? (my favorite superheroes btw). ANy help on this huge mess would be GREATLY appreciated.

Easy! Get this and this and maybe also this or this. And then go from there!

Try Grayson, it's unbelievable so far, IMO.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by cjsm12 View Post
    I am more interested in starting at a more recent time frame
    Start with what's best, not just what's recent.

Just google best DC/Batman/Superman stories and read them on ReadDCEntertainment.com.

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cjsm12 View Post
    Hey guys I've always been a fan of the whole superhero universe, both marvel and DC. However recently I've become a lot more interested in the comic side of superheroes(DC) and would like to start diving into them. The problem is I have no idea on how to know where to begin. I am more interested in starting at a more recent time frame but I feel like I will be lost all the time since I won't know what has happened in the past? I just need some help as to where to begin or how to know what to read next? Do I start by diving into events that have taken place recently or do I start with people like Superman and Batman? (my favorite superheroes btw). ANy help on this huge mess would be GREATLY appreciated.
    Hey there. If I were you, I would look at some of the classics first before trying to dive into current continuity. They're usually contained in a single story arc, which is easy to read, and really fleshes out the core of the character.

For Batman, The Long Halloween/Dark Victory/Haunted Knight are accessible classics. The Dark Knight Returns is a classic elseworlds tale in which Superman plays an important role.

For Superman, All-Star Superman, Man of Steel, For All Seasons, and Birthright are essential reads. I'd recommend Kingdom Come and Red son, though they are elseworlds and Kingdom Come also discusses lots of other Justice League heroes as well. Secret Origins wasn't bad either.

I haven't read the whole series, but I liked what I read from Superman/Batman, in which they're always paired up.

I'm not up to date on the New 52 and I have to disclose that I'm not a big fan of what I have read, but even if I were, I think it's still best to try and get some of these under your belt since they're considered the best takes on the character.

Easy.

Superman: Action Comics by Grant Morrison.
    Batman: the whole new 52 run.
    Justice League.
    Wonder Woman by Azzarello.
    Aquaman by Geoff Johns.
    - We were the BEST, Richard. No matter what anyone thinks. - Damian Wayne.

Green Lantern Spanish Fan Site HERE

Spectacular Member

What Bogoto said, but add Arkham Asylum, Killing Joke, Batman Year One (the Origin), and Batman Year 100. Then Read The Grant Morrison Batman run, stop before Batman Inc and start reading Batman the new 52 run.
    Read All-Star Superman after you read all the Superman stories he recommended, then just pick up Action comics vol 1-3, skip 4 and proceed to vol 5 etc.

Fantastic Member

Since you like Sups and Bats - go for the first Justice League Trade. You get to see the first meeting of those guys (+other members of the future JL)

All-New Member

THANKS you guys, this was exactly what I needed! It was starting to annoy me as to where I should begin but all of you guys made it so easy for a noob like me! Thanks a million and hopefully new people like me comes across this thread so that it can help them as well!

Welcome to the hobby!

I recommend checking out wikipedia. It's hit or miss, but the articles for the major characters like Batman and Superman are typically pretty well done and will give you an idea of where to start. I believe there's also a separate article for their current continuity, which is likely labeled "New52". Read that and it'll give you an idea of where to start.

You can also read all the recent #1 issues on DC's app, and I think Comixology as well.

Next best piece of advice is this; take everything here with a grain of salt. We all have different tastes after all. Just because I think Greg Pak's Action Comics is the best Superman we've seen in thirty years doesnt mean you'll agree.

That said, I do agree with checking out some of the classics, just to get an idea of these characters' general personalities, settings, rogues, and status quo's. However, a lot of classics might not appeal to a new reader with contemporary tastes. So keep in mind that many of these stories might be older than you. So if you're looking for newer stuff, start with the New52 which started in 2011. It introduced a new history and starting point for the characters and universe, while holding onto some of the more popular events and characters from the past. That might sound a bit confusing, and it was, but its the best and easiest place to begin.

I also recommend getting trades instead of single issues. In the long run, its cheaper, and if you read digitally through the Comixology or DC apps, its much cheaper. Honestly, just check out the apps. They make finding your way so much easier.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

All-New Member

I'm back into it after a long hiatus and not sure if this is what is generally considered a good place to start but I began with WW, Aquaman, Batman, Flash and JL from #41 on. Also got Cyborg #1 coming tomorrow, and Grayson (though not getting back issues on that so I jumped right in). And Black Canary which is pretty good, too. Loving these especially JL.