Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Recommended Spider title to add to pull list.

Hi all!

So I have room to add one more title to my pull list. I really love Spider-Man and already have ASM included and would want to add another Spider title. Which Spider title would you recommend? I’ve read several issues of PPSM by Zdarsky and enjoy it. I’m also interested in Renew Your Vows and was wondering if it would be a good addition. Would love to hear your thoughts!
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:
    DC: The Flash (Jay & Wally), Starman- Jack Knight, Stargirl, & Shazam!.
    MARVEL: Daredevil, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), & Doctor Strange.

Current Pulls: Not a thing!

Lightbulb

Definitely Spectacular, Ren Reilly's book would also be a good choice (too bad it is likely being canceled) or Venom (if you want something a bit different). Regrettably, I can't recommend RYV since it essentially became Spider-Girl 2.0. Others may like it but the series is no longer my cup of tea.
    Last edited by Celgress; 05-11-2018 at 10:23 AM.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    Definitely Spectacular, Ren Reilly's book would also be a good choice (too bad it is likely being canceled) or Venom (if you want something a bit different). Regrettably, I can't recommend RYV since it essentially became Spider-Girl 2.0. Others may like it but the series is no longer my cup of tea.
    Thanks for the input! I somehow missed all of the clone stuff, not sure how since it ran for quite awhile. I know Ben is a clone would I need to know anything else to read his series? That was another one I was slightly interested in.
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:

Quote Originally Posted by FlashFreak View Post
    Thanks for the input! I somehow missed all of the clone stuff, not sure how since it ran for quite awhile. I know Ben is a clone would I need to know anything else to read his series? That was another one I was slightly interested in.
    Nah, they cover enough of his backstory here and there in the series that a person could enjoy it without being well versed in Ben's history.

Spectacular is an incredibly fun book that is definitely worth picking up if you are a Spider-Man fan. Renew Your Vows is one that is at least worth checking out to see if it interests you. I do think there is more good than not, it just all depends if that good is personally engaging to you or not.

It's about to conclude in about 2 months, but I would've recommended Spider-Gwen, since that is my favourite book out right now, and I think its done alot of interesting and creative things with the universe and the motifs of the character.

I do like RYV a lot and find it worthwhile if you prefer or have a soft spot for an earlier era of the Spidey mythos.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Spectacular Member

I've never read much or been all that interested in Spider-Man. But I've really been digging Zdarsky's Spectacular Spider-Man. Started off a little too much "Spider-Zdarsky" for me but really hits its stride at around issue #5.
    Floppies as of November: Adventures of the Super Sons, Batman, Catwoman, The Green Lantern, Black Panther, Dead Man Logan, Domino, Exiles, Iceman, Immortal Hulk
    Digital as of November: Daughters of the Dragon, Iron Fist: Phantom Limb, Jessica Jones, Luke Cage.

Quote Originally Posted by Inversed View Post
    Spectacular is an incredibly fun book that is definitely worth picking up if you are a Spider-Man fan. Renew Your Vows is one that is at least worth checking out to see if it interests you. I do think there is more good than not, it just all depends if that good is personally engaging to you or not.

It's about to conclude in about 2 months, but I would've recommended Spider-Gwen, since that is my favourite book out right now, and I think its done alot of interesting and creative things with the universe and the motifs of the character.
    Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    I do like RYV a lot and find it worthwhile if you prefer or have a soft spot for an earlier era of the Spidey mythos.
    Quote Originally Posted by nickytesla96 View Post
    I've never read much or been all that interested in Spider-Man. But I've really been digging Zdarsky's Spectacular Spider-Man. Started off a little too much "Spider-Zdarsky" for me but really hits its stride at around issue #5.
    Thanks everyone!!! I will may end up having two spots and will check out both of those titles!
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:

The first year of RYV by Conway and Stegman is solid, in spite of the personal problems that i had with the premise myself. I read Jody Houser's first issue and didn't grab me, but i think that it has his fans.

You could read the original mini from Secret Wars, i personally didn't like it very much but you might think differently. Have fun .

Question from a curious reader who's read very little Spidey: how would people describe the differences between the main ASM book and Zdarsky's Spectacular?

Quote Originally Posted by Yohei72 View Post
    Question from a curious reader who's read very little Spidey: how would people describe the differences between the main ASM book and Zdarsky's Spectacular?
    In a nutshell, ASM feels like an action orientation modern comic book while Spectacular feels like a classic mix of action & comedy comic book (in other words the type many people grew up with in the 1960s - early 1990s).

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    In a nutshell, ASM feels like an action orientation modern comic book while Spectacular feels like a classic mix of action & comedy comic book (in other words the type many people grew up with in the 1960s - early 1990s).
    That makes sense. Thanks.

EDIT: I presume it's in continuity with the other books?
    Last edited by Yohei72; 05-12-2018 at 09:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Yohei72 View Post
    That makes sense. Thanks.

EDIT: I presume it's in continuity with the other books?
    I'm not a reader, but my understanding is that it is. Granted, I'm under the impression that the two series don't really impact each other that much.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    I'm not a reader, but my understanding is that it is. Granted, I'm under the impression that the two series don't really impact each other that much.
    From what I’ve read this seems to be correct. ASM is dealing with Osborn and SSM is dealing with time travel shenanigans.
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:

Quote Originally Posted by FlashFreak View Post
    From what I’ve read this seems to be correct. ASM is dealing with Osborn and SSM is dealing with time travel shenanigans.
    You are correct, there is one major plot point in Spectacular that becomes very important for the current Amazing arc, but other than that, they are in continuity with each other, just dealing with separate stories at separate points in time.