Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Emma Frost = Bad Xmen

I never cared for the Emma Frost character. To me she was always like the Evil Step-Mom that took Jeans place. And I don't know how Scott puts up with her. Shes always stomping him in his place. Wolverine wouldn't put up with that, he would of gutted her by now. But For years I just don't pick up the X-Men because she's become such a prime player in the Xbooks and the fact BMB uses her all the time has kept me away from the majority of Xbooks.

I've always saw her as a Villain. Its as if Poison Ivy was on the Justice League , it makes no sense to me. Whats the whole aura of why X-Fans think shes so great ? At this point in the Xbooks , if your not a fan of Frost , you might as well jump ship because shes dug into the X-Books like a Alabama tick. When I see her on the X- roster it just weighs down the team , putting them more into villain territory.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by AstroWolfboy View Post
    But For years I just don't pick up the X-Men because she's become such a prime player in the Xbooks and the fact BMB uses her all the time has kept me away from the majority of Xbooks.

I've always saw her as a Villain.
    That's your problem right there friend. You don't like her so you don't read the books with her in it, so she'll never be more than a cookie cutter to you. The character you're describing is not Emma Frost, and it would probably surprise you to know that despite all the cutting jest she makes about him, Logan and Emma are genuinely good friends. *Also if that's your idea of Wolverine, half the X-men would be dead by now, including Scott.
    Last edited by XchaiX; 07-23-2015 at 08:31 AM.

Shes in all the Xbooks and when shes not there, shes there vicariously via the Step-Forward Cuckoos. She's a part of the Hellfire Club , shes bad . Her Influence on the Xmen, is so heavy , its Worse then the neutral / grey area position that Magneto puts in the X-Universe. Because Emma shes just waiting for that perfect moment to strike on humans, all the while playing the She-Wolf in sheep skin on a " Good" Team.

Extraordinary Member Omega Alpha's Avatar

Oh, did I accidentally entered a time machine and it's 2005 all over again?

Mutatis Mutandis ChildOfTheAtom's Avatar
    1407 Graymalkin Lane, North Salem, NY 10560

Emma is awesome

I never cared for the Emma Frost character. To me she was always like the Evil Step-Mom that took Jeans place. And I don't know how Scott puts up with her. Shes always stomping him in his place. Wolverine wouldn't put up with that, he would of gutted her by now. But For years I just don't pick up the X-Men because she's become such a prime player in the Xbooks and the fact BMB uses her all the time has kept me away from the majority of Xbooks.

I've always saw her as a Villain. Its as if Poison Ivy was on the Justice League , it makes no sense to me. Whats the whole aura of why X-Fans think shes so great ? At this point in the Xbooks , if your not a fan of Frost , you might as well jump ship because shes dug into the X-Books like a Alabama tick. When I see her on the X- roster it just weighs down the team , putting them more into villain territory.
    I tend to agree with you and I think its pure fantasy/fetish.

Ultimate Member

And I don't know how Scott puts up with her. Shes always stomping him in his place. Wolverine wouldn't put up with that, he would of gutted her by now.
    That's fairly ironic, since Emma just basically took over the Wolverine role of undercutting Scott at every turn, and that being mostly ignored by Scott, who seems pretty self-actualized and never seemed to judge himself based on what Wolverine *or* Emma thought of him (or seemed to care much what the rest of the team thought of him allowing someone to openly snipe him, seeming, if anything, kind of amused by it).

As for villainy, Emma's just continuing in the vein of Rogue, or even Scott himself (originally protégé to a criminal, Jack of Diamonds), in being a mutant who went in the wrong direction. She just spent longer on the wrong side than most of the other X-Men.

In the end, the underlying theme of the X-Men is about mutants, not about superheroes, and even if it were strictly about superheroes, the Avengers has had a half-dozen or more ex-villains on their teams, including Scarlet Witch, Quicksilver, Hawkeye and the Black Widow (all introduced as villains). It's been long enough that Emma's passed the rubicon (villain from 1980-1994, Gen X headmistress to X-Men from 1994-2015), and been an X-Man longer than she was the White Queen of the Hellfire Club, for that matter, and even as the snarky elitist self-obsessed person she remains, her practical streak is a handy narrative tool.

But whether or not one likes her is pretty much subjective. I don't like the fake British, fake boobs aspect of her that's been focused on lately (she was pretty thin, back when introduced, and suggested to have a Boston accent), or the 'turns into diamond' thing, but that's what she's become, and she, IMO, adds a lot more to a book just in personality than Jean ever did.

Not every character has to be some flawless being. It also helps to have some personality diversity within the cast and have characters bounce off one another, be it personally or in regards to issues. Its key for both depth and perspective. Simply put, Emma brings a different edge of entertainment.

That's not say I think things should revolve around her or something. She is one of the least "rootable" x-men (in terms of wishing good things, success and overcoming adversity, infact it can be refreshing to see her knocked down a peg), but shes great to have on a roster.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by cwatz View Post
    Not every character has to be some flawless being. It also helps to have some personality diversity within the cast and have characters bounce off one another, be it personally or in regards to issues. Its key for both depth and perspective. Simply put, Emma brings a different edge of entertainment.

That's not say I think things should revolve around her or something. She is one of the least "rootable" x-men (in terms of wishing good things, success and overcoming adversity, infact it can be refreshing to see her knocked down a peg), but shes great to have on a roster.
    I agree with a lot of this. Emma is one of those characters I loved back in the day because I despised her so much. So I could not wait to see her next appearance. Then when she had her epiphany, at the cost of the lives of her former students. i felt for her. She grew on me, but she never stopped being the "bitch" I loved. It also helped that I saw a lot of Psylocke in her. But Emma has become one of my favorites period. Except I'll always hate that silly diamond mutation.

Her star has faded somewhat. She's an interesting but overexposed character, and writers don't really know what to with her anymore.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Yronheart View Post
    Her star has faded somewhat. She's an interesting but overexposed character, and writers don't really know what to with her anymore.
    That's the sad part. I actually miss the days when Characters weren't everywhere in every book, and new characters appeared every month. I miss the ocassional reveal of a new mutant or character. Thus older characters got more development and attention WITHOUT being over exposed.

Quote Originally Posted by Yronheart View Post
    In Emma's case, it seems it's more that the writers who actually want to use her aren't allowed to, she has become exclusive to someone who won't use her.
    Dark does not mean deep.

It's been mostly a moot point for awhile now. Emma has been relegated to background character status for the past couple years since breaking up with Cyclops while at the same time being stuck on his team. Apparently, the X-office doesn't have much to say for her if it doesn't involve being Cyclops' girlfriend. Once the X-books are relaunched after Secret Wars in the fall, Emma will be among the missing mutants. Honestly, unless one of the new writers is a big fan of hers and pulls her into one of the new books, her time in the spotlight may have passed.

Emma is somewhat reminiscent of a generational character. In the 80s, flashy and whimsical characters like Dazzler and Longshot were popular. In the 90s, cool and bad-ass characters like Gambit and Bishop were popular. In the 00s, snarky and materialistic Emma appeals to our increasingly vain, reality TV show drama-obssessed culture. It's the 10s now, but our culture is still pretty similar to how it was to the previous decade, so Emma still has some appeal, but I can see how to some people, her act is getting a little old. Eventually, her star will fade unless she changes.

Mild-Mannered Reporter BlitheringToot's Avatar

I lurrrrrve me some Emma Frost. But I enjoy her cattiness and overblown sexuality. She's hot, she's witty, she's shrewd, and she has no qualms taking you down a peg.
    "What would you prefer? Yellow spandex?" – Scott Summers, 2000

I really had no problem with Emma's progression though the 90's with her being mostly redeemed through Generation X (though the end.) I did have problems with her being a full blown X-Man at first though, and I really had issues with her and Scott being in a relationship, but after a while she grew on me. She has proven herself a hero. A snarky hero but a hero nonetheless. I don't like Fantomex. But I have followed many books with him in it, and he has failed to grow on me at all, so I feel justified in saying when I don't like Fantomex.

If you start out not liking a character, and then decide that you just will avoid that character, you never give the character a chance to see them redeemed or go through whatever character evolution they go through. It's kind of like saying you don't like a certain food when you've never eaten it. I will give you the writing under Bendis though because Bendis is just bland in general.