Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by Poorly drawn hero View Post
    It's a sad statement when not seeing a movie makes you feel illiterate. Sigh.

The worst part is this isn't the first time I've heard this, so it make complete sense. D'oh!
    They are really good movies! William Powell and Myrna Loy were two of the best actors of the period.

(And they're only superficially like Ralph and Sue. Nick is a retired private detective and he really doesn't like getting dragged into a case. But there's always an old friend showing up, or Nora has a relative who's gotten into trouble.)
    My, my! One does peculiar things when one is a gorilla!

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier X View Post
    They are really good movies! William Powell and Myrna Loy were two of the best actors of the period.

(And they're only superficially like Ralph and Sue. Nick is a retired private detective and he really doesn't like getting dragged into a case. But there's always an old friend showing up, or Nora has a relative who's gotten into trouble.)
    Both are retired, but there is a twist that keeps them similar:
    Ralph is retired as a showman and drinks gingold and plays detective for fun, while
    Nick is retired as a detective and drinks booze and makes a showman out of himself for fun.

Consequently, for Nora, seeing Nick in action is quite an amusing event, while for Sue, seeing Ralph in action just business as usual. The admiration is the same, Sue even started setting mysteries for him and, in the end, she became a detective herself, which is another difference (although I think the same would have happened with Nora if they had had as many adventures).

Personality wise, I think they come from the same mold. Both are sharp men who get whatever they wand with seemingly little effort, have a laid back attitude and are not afraid of making fun of things. Both women are plucky, gossipy, fun and a bit stubborn. And the four of them are witty people.