Default Looking for good Wonder Woman origin and early superhero career/adventure stories

I was wondering if anyone can recommend some good origin stories or stories dealing with a more inexperienced Wonder Woman? I recently collected a lot of early in his career Batman stories, and now I want to do the same with Wonder Woman.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    I was wondering if anyone can recommend some good origin stories or stories dealing with a more inexperienced Wonder Woman? I recently collected a lot of early in his career Batman stories, and now I want to do the same with Wonder Woman.
    I don't think you can go wrong with the Perez reboot.

If you are looking for her current origin, apparently we did not really get that in the Azz reboot since it is the story he didn't want to tell.

Quote Originally Posted by wagthedog View Post
    I don't think you can go wrong with the Perez reboot.

If you are looking for her current origin, apparently we did not really get that in the Azz reboot since it is the story he didn't want to tell.
    I'm kind of looking more for story arcs rather than on-goings or entire runs. My budget is limited so it's easier to collect a few graphic novels or trade paperbacks than to keep up with anything ongoing or overly expansive.

Fantastic Member

Get these:

The three trade paperbacks, BLOOD, GUTS and WAR were the best of the critically acclaimed Brian Azzarello and Cliff Chiang comics, ..the most recent run of the series. Start with these.

As with the Green Lantern and Flash of the 1940s, this run changes Wonder Woman's origin story, making her the daughter of the Amazon Queen, Hippolyta, and ZEUS, king of the Greek gods! It's all weird, bombastic gods and monsters, exotic locales, bizarre worlds, screwball comedy and unforgettable WOMEN - the closest thing to the 1940s Marston (Charles Moulton) original, since the Bill Loebs run in the late 90s. The only thing you'll need Guts for is knowing who the players are - namely, Orion, Cassandra the Mad and the First Born - and setting up for War, ..which is where I advise you to stop.

The rest of the Chiangzarello run can go straight to Hell.

I would also dig up the Bill Loebs run, which is the closest, in spirit, to the original, ground-breaking Marston run of the 1940s. Starting with WW #63, read the entire run straight into the fast-paced, action-packed John Byrne run, which introduces a new Wonder Girl, Cassie Sandsmark, ..but STOP at Issue #133. I warn you and BEG you...please STOP at #133, if you value your sanity and good taste.

After #133, Byrne attempts to fix and retool Donna Troy's origin, but is not allowed to scrap the awful, post-Crisis 'space god' origin that ruined Donna Toy, in the pages of the New Titans comic. The new, brilliant, myth-based story that he created might easily have been introduced in the Golden Age and would have fit seamlessly into the classic Wonder-mythos. Unlike the origin that Marv Wolfman created for Donna, which saddles her with a Batman-styled, urban crime drama, Byrne story was much better suited for the quasi-mystical, sci-fi world of Wonder Woman. However, ..because editors did not allow him to soft-reboot Donna's origin - and instead of wisely, quietly walking off the title - Mr. Byrne attempts to stitch his new, brilliant, myth-based story to the absurd 'space god' elements, ..and ruining Donna Troy and his run, in one or several, ugly fell swoops! So, just trust me...

I beg you. Spare yourself a lot of grief and STOP at Issue #133.

More importantly than anything else, ..have fun. At its best, though we often forget it, Wonder Woman is actually supposed to be fun.
    Last edited by Mel Dyer; 07-24-2015 at 08:38 AM.
    COMBINING THE BIGBADITUDE OF THANOS WITH CHEETAH'S FEROCITY, IS JANUS WONDER WOMAN'S GREATEST SUPERVILLAIN?...on WONDABUNGA!!! Look alive, Kangaliers!