Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    BANNED

Default Overrated comic book stories?

So, we all love comics, but I bet we can all think of a story that was just overrated and didn't deserve all the praise and attention it got. Which comic book stories do you think were overrated?

The Dark Knight Returns. I honestly don't get what all the fuss is about. Frank Miller chooses to ignore so much of what Batman is about and portray him as an ultra-violent maniac in a bat suit.

BANNED

Days of Future Past. It was an all right two issue story, but ultimately wasn't this super special thing that people say it was.

Astonishing Member FanboyStranger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by foxley View Post
    The Dark Knight Returns. I honestly don't get what all the fuss is about. Frank Miller chooses to ignore so much of what Batman is about and portray him as an ultra-violent maniac in a bat suit.
    I think it's one of those things that makes sense if you were there. Regardless of how you feel about the story, it was the first time that some of the intense, sophisticated storytelling that was being developed in the '80s was applied to a major superhero. I do feel that DKR is a bit overrated, mostly because it cribbed so much from American Flagg! in how it told its story, but it's hard not to fall for that pacing that builds from those tiny media panels that set the story to the bigger action panels to those remarkable splash pages that have become such a major part of Batman iconography. It's just a brilliant example of effective pacing in a comic, and how that pacing can build tension and suspense.

I guess for me it's The Walking Dead in general. I can see the craft in it-- and I really like Charlie Adlard's art-- but anytime I pick it up, I feel like I've read the story before. I'm not sure why it's such a venerable title, but I do admire Kirkman's stance on creators' rights.

Quote Originally Posted by William300 View Post
    Days of Future Past. It was an all right two issue story, but ultimately wasn't this super special thing that people say it was.
    Yeah I felt the same....doesn't mean it's bad though.

Hush was severly overrated. So is Blackest Night.

Thor's Dark Elf saga was a very disappointing read.

A lot of stuff is overrated obviously.

BANNED

All "overrated" really means is that other people like a thing more than you. Neither party is really wrong, though. Other people can't like a thing too much and you don't like the thing too little.

The technique is what makes that story a classic, not the content. Kinda like Birth of a Nation, except not racist.
    "It's not whether you win or lose, it's whether I win or lose." - Peter David, on life

"If you can't say anything nice about someone, sit right here by me." - Alice Roosevelt Longworth, on manners

"You're much stronger than you think you are." - Superman, on humankind

All-New, All-Different Marvel Checklist

BANNED

Ultron Unlimited. I heard it was supposed to be a classic Avengers story, but the first time I read it I threw the book across the room, disgusted at how awful it was.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by William300 View Post
    But it is a great story.

The overrated x-men story for me is God Loves, Man Kills.

The Dark Knight Returns
    Death of Gwen Stacy
    V for Vendetta

Quote Originally Posted by Michael P View Post
    The technique is what makes that story a classic, not the content. Kinda like Birth of a Nation, except not racist.
    The racism was replaced with misogyny.

Anything Chris Claremont started ridiculous connecting Shi'ar to X-Men, especially Dark Phoenix stuff.

The Dark Knight Returns. What foxley said.

The Killing Joke. It's alright, nothing exceptional.

Watchmen.
    TRUTH, JUSTICE, HOPE
    That is, the heritage of the Kryptonian Warrior: Kal-El, son of Jor-El
    You like Gameboy and NDS? - My channel
    Looks like I'll have to move past gameplay footage

Knightfall.

I'm currently revisiting it, and the general idea of it is pretty good. A new villain takes Bruce out of the game, he finds a successor but he's too violent and eventually disgraces the mantle. Bruce has to pull it together and reclaim the honor of Batman. Cool. But there's a lot of fluff between those key moments. Jean Paul Valley's inner monologue and his struggle with Azrael/Dumas is recycled constantly and it becomes a total bore. It must have been exhausting to wait through this storyline as it was being published (I was one year old at the time). It gave us Bane and the iconic breaking of the Bat, so it's not all bad. Just peaks and valleys, I suppose.

BANNED

I thought it was a good read in and of itself, in an Elseworlds fashion. But I thought it made for a terrible blueprint for how batman should be handled in general.

Quote Originally Posted by LifeIsILL View Post
    Hush was severly overrated. So is Blackest Night.
    Do a lot of people actually think Blackest Knight was good? I mean in some kind of "general consensus" way? I find that hard to fathom. I thought it was a right crapfest. It was so badly written that it even bled over into Ivan Reis' artwork. He's usually dependably very good, but his work on the book was muddled and hard to follow, just like the story.
    Last edited by kalorama; 07-25-2015 at 09:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MegaManChiefFan View Post
    Death of Gwen Stacy
    Agreed with this one.

Quote Originally Posted by kalorama View Post
    Do a lot of people actually think Blackest Knight was good? I mean in some kind of "general consensus" way? I find that hard to fathom.
    Same can be said about HUSH.
    TRUTH, JUSTICE, HOPE
    That is, the heritage of the Kryptonian Warrior: Kal-El, son of Jor-El
    You like Gameboy and NDS? - My channel
    Looks like I'll have to move past gameplay footage