Default Savage Dragon best of first 100 issues

my LCS recently marked down a bunch of Savage Dragon comics, mostly stuff from the 1st 100. i want to pick up some stuff but a little overwhelmed. any particular storylines/arcs that stand out from those issues?? any help would be appreciated

i looked at the covers for the first 100 issues to try and jog my memory but i recall liking pretty much all of those. i think youd be safe with any that have a cover which grabs you. having said that, the earlier you are in the run the less backstory you will be missing out on. so it depends on how good you are at just rolling with it whenever you try a new title.

if you pull up the title on comicdb you can see what the average rating for each is http://www.comicbookdb.com/title.php?ID=1134

since i dont know your tastes anyways, when you are flipping through the available ones in person maybe just start with cool looking stories that have higher consensus reviews and avoid any that are random pieces of an arc unless they have all the parts of that storyline?

ps: i have a tangent recommendation for you -- buy anything that is between issues 59 and 75. the reason is those are the only issues which are not collected in trades. everything else you could get via collected editions. i am assuming you will love the title like me and want to have the complete run =).

Quote Originally Posted by dishpan View Post
    i looked at the covers for the first 100 issues to try and jog my memory but i recall liking pretty much all of those. i think youd be safe with any that have a cover which grabs you. having said that, the earlier you are in the run the less backstory you will be missing out on. so it depends on how good you are at just rolling with it whenever you try a new title.

if you pull up the title on comicdb you can see what the average rating for each is http://www.comicbookdb.com/title.php?ID=1134

since i dont know your tastes anyways, when you are flipping through the available ones in person maybe just start with cool looking stories that have higher consensus reviews and avoid any that are random pieces of an arc unless they have all the parts of that storyline?

ps: i have a tangent recommendation for you -- buy anything that is between issues 59 and 75. the reason is those are the only issues which are not collected in trades. everything else you could get via collected editions. i am assuming you will love the title like me and want to have the complete run =).
    thanks for your help, i got some research to do!!

so with my LCS going out of business the dragon comics got marked down to 4 for $1. i picked up issues 82-101 and 115-123, will probably dive in this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by BigLbo View Post
    so with my LCS going out of business the dragon comics got marked down to 4 for $1. i picked up issues 82-101 and 115-123, will probably dive in this weekend.
    a quarter an issue, holy crap. i wouldve bought every issue they had even if i already owned them. congrats (even though it meant losing your lcs)!

this weeks issue 207 would make a great jumping on point, its fun and pretty self contained.

i'm about 7 issues into it and it's fun easy reading, don't have to think too much just enjoy the action, art, and seemingly endless supply of cool characters.

do you know what was up with the art in #86/87?? it's not bad at all just very different, i wasn't even sure it was larsen drawing it at first(kind of reminded me of scott kolins), anyways all of 86 and about 1/2 of 87 is drawn in this style and then it just switches back to larsens signature style in the middle of the issue.

i got completely lost in the beginning of #95. 94 ended with cyberface seemingly on the edge of destroying dragon but then in the start of 95 cyberface is basically already defeated. there's some mention of gas and then there's a guy who looks xactly like dragon but i can't tell wtf happened.

the story moves a long at such a fast pace though i didn't have all that hard of a time just rolling along with it so i'm still enjoying that part though was pretty confusing.

do you know what was up with the art in #86/87?? it's not bad at all just very different, i wasn't even sure it was larsen drawing it at first(kind of reminded me of scott kolins), anyways all of 86 and about 1/2 of 87 is drawn in this style and then it just switches back to larsens signature style in the middle of the issue.
    i dont remember which issues specifically but a couple times a year he will experiment with stuff to keep it interesting. right now he is drawing on double sized paper so it looks really great. previously he has done things with digest size, static panel configs, all splash pages, etc etc

Quote Originally Posted by dishpan View Post
    i dont remember which issues specifically but a couple times a year he will experiment with stuff to keep it interesting. right now he is drawing on double sized paper so it looks really great. previously he has done things with digest size, static panel configs, all splash pages, etc etc
    that's cool, i don't blame him. doing the same book for so long i'd want try different things to keep it fresh, kind of like being in a longterm relationship sometimes you gotta spice things up and i don't mind i just wasn't sure if there was something to it i wasn't picking up on.

i noticed in #93 for a few pages he seemed to randomly start channeling frank millers art and that was cool. it will be fun to keep my eye out for that kind of stuff.

Spectacular Member

That's an excellent deal. Savage Dragon is one of those titles that I can read over and over again. Larsen does a great job with that book.
    Last edited by Paper Monkey; 10-10-2015 at 01:46 PM.