Title- Nightcrawler (Volume 1) #2
    Release Date- December 1985
    Writer- Dave Cockrum
    Artist- Dave Cockrum

Major Notes
    Features Kitty Pryde, Illyana Rasputin and Lockheed

Brief Summary

A Boggie Day in L’un D’un-T’wn

In another dimension Nightcrawler and Lockheed have been captured by Shargreen and are being taken to his fortress named L’un Dun-T’wn. They are taken inside the floating fortress and Nightcrawler has been chained up while Lockheed is trapped within a sphere. Shargreen wants to experiment on him the next day but Nightcrawler tries to teleport but it doesn’t work. Shargreen reveals that he has placed a spell on him which prevents him from teleporting. He wishes to learn everything about Nightcrawler and to do so he has to strip him atom by atom.

On Earth Kitty Pryde along with Illyana are trying to bring Nightcrawler and Lockheed back to them but Kitty is having great difficulty. Unfortunately there are no other X-Men present to help them and back in Skyworld the pirates are celebrating their newfound wealth. Everyone is having a good time but they receive word that Princess Jinjay has been kidnapped by Shargreen. They intend to steal her back and then hold her for ransom.

At Shargreen’s fortress Nightcrawler is thinking about the X-Men on Earth but he doesn’t notice some small bat like creatures who have a strong resemblance to him appear out from a mirror. They turn out to be real Boggies and although Nightcrawler asks for their help they are unwilling unless he helps them. He agrees and they begin to tell him how Shargreen has prevented the Boggies from teleporting and that they can’t leave until it is removed. The only way to cancel the spell is to destroy Shargreen’s power stone but they themselves have been unable to do this. They also state how Shargreen has captured Princess Jinjay and plans to sacrifice her so that he can attain more power. Nightcrawler then notices Lockheed still in his sphere and quickly releases him so that he can help.

The pair are sent down a passageway to Shargreen’s sacrificial chamber but the Boggies do not inform him about the guardians. Nightcrawler and Lockheed continue on their way when suddenly two great snakes that had been carved on the wall come to life and attack them. Nightcrawler and Lockheed do everything they can to try and defend themselves. Nightcrawler however comes up with an idea and makes sure that the snakes follow him.

In his sacrificial chamber Shargreen prays to a statue of a powerful demon as he prepares to sacrifice Princess Jinjay who has been chained up by his minions. Before he can finish the incantation the snakes burst through wall with Nightcrawler seemingly leading them. Nightcrawler then rescues Princess Jinjay and in his rage Shargreen destroys the snakes. His plans have been ruined since his chamber has been heavily damaged but he casts a spell on Nightcrawler preventing him from moving. It also begins to crush him from the inside and within moments he will die.

Suddenly a blast comes through the nearby wall as the pirates are outside and they attack. Shargreen turns his attention to the pirates and goes to unleash a powerful spell but Lockheed bites his tail causing him to lose his concentration. Nightcrawler is freed from the spell and uses a ball and chain to destroy the top of Shargreen’s staff which he thinks is the source of his power.

After a large explosion the danger seems to be over. Nightcrawler goes to Princess Jinjay but suddenly the fortress begins to crumble around them. He goes to get her out but he is knocked unconscious by Shargreen who grabs Princess Jinjay and escapes on his ship. Nightcrawler is only saved when Lockheed pulls on his tail and helps wake him up. The two quickly make their way to safety and they see Shargreen’s ship flying away.

Nightcrawler teleports onto the ship and confronts Shargreen who is in possession of Princess Jinjay. They begin to battle and Nightcrawler uses his agility to his advantage. The fight turns into a swashbuckling swordfight and eventually both combatants find themselves on top of the ship. Nightcrawler is reluctant to kill Shargreen but as they continue to fight he slips on the slippery surface and is about to be killed him. Only Lockheed’s intervention prevents Shargeen from killing him. It also causes him to fall and with the villain seemingly gone he goes down to the ship to see Princess Jinjay. She gives him a kiss to say thank you and at that point the pirate ship appears with business to discuss.

On Earth Kitty thinks that she has figured out how to bring Nightcrawler back while in Skyworld Princess Jinjay has been returned home and her family are thanking Nightcrawler for saving her. The King allows him to stay as Nightcrawler and Princess Jinjay walk through the gardens. It is then that Kitty tries to bring him back to Earth but only his costume appears. Both she and Illyana realise that Nightcrawler is now naked. She immediately sends it back and although Nightcrawler is embarrassed by what happened Princess Jinjay enjoyed the show.

Kitty tries once again and much to the dismay of Princess Jinjay both Nightcrawler and Lockheed disappear. They find themselves in what seems to be a vortex and moments later they land on another world. When Nightcrawler asks where he is he is confronted by Kitty’s fictional version of him named Bamf which then calls him daddy.

My Thoughts

Now we come to the second issue of the heart-warming first series of the Nightcrawler Limited Series. Once again we got a fun issue where Nightcrawler saves an alien princess from an evil sorcerer. This is the kind of thing that you’d expect to see in an old Flash Gordon serial but instead we have Nightcrawler.

One of the most remembered scenes in this issue was when Kitty Pryde accidentally brought back Nightcrawler’s suit rather all of him. Of course Kitty and Illyana were horrified by their mistake since Nightcrawler was effectively naked but Princess Jinjay seemed to have enjoyed what she had seen. I can imagine that Kitty couldn’t help but apologise to him over what had happened.

Lockheed did also have a few good moments in this issue since he is the main supporting character in this issue. You could say that it was him that ultimately defeated Shargreen although there is no doubt that Nightcrawler had a role in it as well. For a dragon of few words he is good at showing his emotions and he sure as hell can be heard when he wants to be.

We also got to see the Boggies in this issue. We can see why Nightcrawler was mistaken for one although they do look a lot like bats as well. They don’t seem to be the most trustworthy of creatures as they were willing to put Nightcrawler in harm’s way. They also seem to have his teleportation abilities so it makes me think that there could be a possible link between them.

Shargreen played the role as a villain pretty well in this issue. If the story had been overly serious he probably would have been seen as a stupid villain but since it is an all round fun story you can forgive him for that. Once again he is the kind of villain that you’d see in an old 30’s serial and the fact that he resembles a shark only adds to his villainy since sharks aren’t too popular and are known to eat people.

The ending of the issue was a bit of a surprise when I first read it because you see Bamf once again who if you remember actually appeared in Uncanny X-Men #153 in Kitty’s bedtime story for Illyana (before all that stuff with Belasco and Limbo). He was definitely the most popular character to come from that story and his reappearance is pretty darn cool and the fact that I know about who will be appearing in the next issue only makes me even more excited.

In conclusion I’m giving the issue an 8 out of 10. It was another fun comic from the creative mind of the late Dave Cockrum.

Next Issue
    Uncanny X-Men (Volume 1) #200
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Life Finds A Way
    God Loves Man Kills
    What Is Thy Bidding My Master
    Unbowed, Unbent, Unbroken
    Till All Are One

I loved that Nightcrawler mini so much. That should be the bible for anyone who wants to write Nightcrawler in their comic.
    Need Comics? Consider using my Affiliate link - helps keep my Podcast ad free!
    https://www.mycomicshop.com/?AffID=1055159P01
    Check out the Comic Relief Podcast! - The podcast all about comics!

BANNED

Talking Happy Birthday Carlos Pacheco!!!

Shadowcat and Lockheed by Carlos Pacheco
    http://comicvine.gamespot.com/carlos-pacheco/4040-3590/

BANNED

Shadowcat and Lockheed by Ivan Reis

To me, it is still lame that Lockheed will be a companion of Magik instead of Shadowcat in the New Mutants movie
    http://comicbook.com/marvel/2016/11/...mutants-movie/

BANNED

Cool Lockheed in X-Men: Gold!

X-Men: Gold #1 Cover: Lockheed, Shadowcat, Storm, Angel, Marvel Girl, Bishop, Cyclops and Jubilee

Cover art by Olivier Coipel

Extraordinary Member Master of Sound's Avatar

Where is Lockheed anyways these days?
    "COURAGE, DON'T YOU DARE LET ME DOWN"
    ==================================================
    ==================================================

Quote Originally Posted by Master of Sound View Post
    Where is Lockheed anyways these days?
    Limbo. Not Magik's either.
    Need Comics? Consider using my Affiliate link - helps keep my Podcast ad free!
    https://www.mycomicshop.com/?AffID=1055159P01
    Check out the Comic Relief Podcast! - The podcast all about comics!

BANNED

To me it is terrible to waste such an enjoyable marvel character.

BANNED

Default New Mutants: Did You Catch Lockheed In the Teaser?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by JackalsIII View Post
    Paul Smith's greatest creation at Marvel.
    Indeed. Paul Smith did a, to me, terrific job.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by a0040pc View Post
    Lockheed is awesome. I can't believe that there's been no Ultimate Lockheed yet
    I am so grateful that that never happened phew!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Hound View Post
    Attachment 1700

Illyana and Lockheed by Sienkiewicz. I love this, although Lockheed is looking a little too portly to fly!
    Yeah, I can see what you mean.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by a0040pc View Post
    Also shame about the lack of animated Lockheed. He appeared in Pryde of the X-Men and had a cameo in Super Hero Squad
    He did? I have to look up those episodes to see for myself.

BANNED

Lockheed & Kitty

Art by tinkerpunk5

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Metaltron View Post
    Lockheed really should be in more stuff, I mean if Doop can get a mini series I don't see why he can't, with or without Kitty.
    I'd prefer a mini series of the comicbook character Lockheed with the comicbook character Shadowcat because for me, the moment they met, they became an awesome duo who always bring a smile to my face when I see them together.